Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 MT07. I would like to fit a touring screen on it but can't find anything I like. I bought one from china but it looks cheap and nasty. I've considered Madstad and Vstream but I'm not too keen on the designs. Apart from the design, the cost of postage from America makes the screens far too expensive. I have a
250 xmax scooter and the screen on that is exactly what I like. I was wondering if I could modify an xmax screen to fit my MTO7? Has anyone any experience of modifying a screen? Does the material crack with pressure? Can it be drilled or filed? Will it bend? Does the drilling heat melt the hole surrounding? If you have any experience to share it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Either acrylic or polycarbinate can be drilled, cut, filed, sanded, whatever -- just need to do it very carefully... acrylic doesn't like to be be bent cold... for drilling in either, the bits need to be prepared (basically file the outer edges of the tip...) or they can ctach and put nice long cracks in whatever you're working on...

For example... https://m.wikihow.com/Drill-Plexiglass

Although I've never gone to such pains...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've done a small amount of drilling and cutting Lexan and Plexiglas. It can be done quite successfully, but it's tricky. I've had no problem drilling as long as I was using a sharp bit, setting up carefully and proceeding slowly. I added an adjustable wind deflector to the top of my Memphis Shades windshield by simply using the mounting bracket of the deflector as a jig for drilling the required holes. No drama, and a clean and professional-looking installation. I took a slow 30 minutes to do it, but I could probably do another one in 10.

Cutting seems easy if you're using the right tools, but it has the tendency to go very well right up until the point where it goes disastrously wrong. Not saying you couldn't do it on your own, mind you, but the odds are that unless you are lucky you might come out cheaper paying someone who really knows how to do the job, especially if cutting precise curves is part of the deal.

·
On The Road Again!
4,199 Posts
I cut down the stock Lexan windshield on my Goldwing. I used a fine tooth blade in a jigsaw.
But first I covered the area to be cut with masking tape, then drew my cut line on the tape.
Look at the picture. That is the stock windshield cut about 4 inches shorter so I could look over it, not through it.
I can still raise it up about 2 inches on cold or rainy days.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I haven't had any problems working with plexiglas as long as I took my time. Like Offcenter said, mask off where you want to cut, then draw your cut lines. After cutting, remove the tape. The edge may be a bit "fuzzy" but they'll clean up real nice with a little filing. File a little bevel on the edge and you can make it look like a factory made shield.

I've been thinking about making a larger windshield for one of my bikes. It already has a small quick release windshield on it, so I thought about cutting out the windshield I want, then use the hardware from the small shield, mount it on the new shield, then on the bike.

It's just been a thought so far, might do it, might not, might work, might not...

·
On The Road Again!
4,199 Posts
I clean up my edges with fine sandpaper.
But use whatever works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts