Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for about 3 weeks and so far my biggest nemesis is wind. Gust of wind but also at fast speeds it just feels like I'm about to be blown off the bike at times, I already notice that if I just relax it gets better but sometimes I feel like I am a parachute. I have a Suzuki C50 cruiser and it rides well but there is no wind shield or anything to block the wind. I like the way it looks much better without a wind shield or faring, I just love that classic look, but I think I'd have a more comfortable ride with one, not mention the bugs. I just hate how it looks like you just strapped a riot shied onto the front of a bike and it just looks mean without it but I've been told that the ride is much more enjoyable with it on. I'm guess with the overall wind and gusts that you just get used to it, I feel a slight sense of panic when I feel a blast? I was looking last night and I saw some smaller wind shields that seemed like a good compromise that left with bike with that classic look but offered some wind protection and those seem to be much cheaper. Any suggestions on what to buy?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I say get the windshield. What do you spend more time doing, standing around looking at the bike or riding it? I'd personally care more about not feeling like I'm gonna get blown off the bike, y'know? :)

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
My first two bikes didn't have a windshield and I quickly put one on them. Every bike since has as well except my VTX which once again I put one on. If you ride a lot it's really the only way. Even my first bike, a 185 Twinstar handled better after I put a huge batwing on it. Got even better fuel mileage too. I agree they don't look nearly as good unless you really like that style but looks isn't getting you down the road.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If you don't want a windshield then keep the speed down. 3 choices, windshield and ride how you want, no windshield and slow down, or no windshield and drive how you want and just put up with the wind.

C50 is the exact type of bike I think looks better with a windshield.

National Cycle makes several windshields, and their lightbar(should you decide you want one) will fit with their windshields in place. Plus they are quick disconnect. Plus you only buy the mounting hardware once, if want a different windshield you just buy the windshield.

Memphis Shades has what they call drop down windshield, there is an additional 3 inches of windshield, so it is made in 13inch which converts up to 16inch(13-16), 15-18, 17-20.

On my C50 I have a Memphis Shades 19 inch, which is just about right, but there are times I wish I could drop it down 3 inches or more.

The drop down portion is a recurve, so it is supposed to act like it is 3 inches taller, so with the 13-16 raised all the way up it is supposed to deflect the wind like a 19inch would, and with it dropped down to 13inches deflect the wind like a 16 inch would.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
I've been riding for about 3 weeks and so far my biggest nemesis is wind. I'm guess with the overall wind and gusts that you just get used to it, I feel a slight sense of panic when I feel a blast?
Experience, as in time in the saddle, will help with that. After a while, your body will become used to the gusts, and your body will adjust without having to think about it. Just keep riding, and have faith in yourself, and your bike.

Any suggestions on what to buy?
I like the Memphis Shades Malibu windshield. I have one of them on my 03 V-max.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Get a quick release windshield, that way you can suit your riding needs at the time. If you aren't comfortable riding without a windshield, you will spend less time on the bike. I did my time without a windshield, now I won't ride without one.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
One thing that's definitely a plus with having a windshield is that you will not be as tired. The wind tires you out but without it you'll sleep like a baby at night. Hmmmm to be or not to be. That is the question.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I get too hot behind a shield. And the one I had and removed caused so much turbulence it blurred my vision and gave me a headache.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been riding for about 3 weeks and so far my biggest nemesis is wind. Gust of wind but also at fast speeds it just feels like I'm about to be blown off the bike at times, I already notice that if I just relax it gets better but sometimes I feel like I am a parachute. I have a Suzuki C50 cruiser and it rides well but there is no wind shield or anything to block the wind. I like the way it looks much better without a wind shield or faring, I just love that classic look, but I think I'd have a more comfortable ride with one, not mention the bugs. I just hate how it looks like you just strapped a riot shied onto the front of a bike and it just looks mean without it but I've been told that the ride is much more enjoyable with it on. I'm guess with the overall wind and gusts that you just get used to it, I feel a slight sense of panic when I feel a blast? I was looking last night and I saw some smaller wind shields that seemed like a good compromise that left with bike with that classic look but offered some wind protection and those seem to be much cheaper. Any suggestions on what to buy?
I have a small spitfire windshield on the wife's bike and plan on getting one for mine. It is a smaller windshield and does not look like a riot shield (LOL) and cost is low . We just had to break the wind and bugs off our chest (especially at higher speeds). Oh Yeah....My neighbor has one of those riot shields on his Vstar 650 and he is going to get it cut down some. He said some cross winds pick it up like a sail.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Aron, the biggest thing that will help you is time in the saddle. When I first started riding, wind was my nemesis. Here in AZ, the wind is always blowing to some degree and from directions that you wouldn't think existed. I have noticed that as time has progressed, I am much less bothered by the wind. It still whips my ass from time to time, but I've learned that it most likely is not going to kill me, which helped me to relax, which made riding in the wind much easier. I don't have a windshield on my current bike. My next bike will most likely have one.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Just wait till you ride a bike with a POWER windshield. Down for hot days, traffic, up for 80mph, cold days, imbetween the rest of the time.

It's like heated seats. I always said they were for wimps....until I tried 'em. Cold morning, it's a real treat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Experience, as in time in the saddle, will help with that. After a while, your body will become used to the gusts, and your body will adjust without having to think about it. Just keep riding, and have faith in yourself, and your bike.

I like the Memphis Shades Malibu windshield. I have one of them on my 03 V-max.

I'll have to check out that style, that looks a lot more like what I'm thinking of. I've been looking at leatherup.com, are there any other sites I should be looking at?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
First thing I added to my old bike was a windshield. My neck and eyes just can't handle that wind.

Our Vision has one of those electric ones that you can raise or lower.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My avatar shows the Memphis Shades piece that I picked up at a swap meet for $20.
I mounted it when the temps dropped in the autumn, because the cold became overwhelming and I still wanted to ride. It bought me a few more months.

I then removed it when things warmed up and it's been off ever since.
I found myself getting blown around a lot more with it installed, especially when being passed by semi trucks.
The bike also struggles to get past 80 ( it's only 450cc and 6th is an overdrive).

I'll likely re install it sooner that I want to, as it's been getting pretty nippy when the sun is dropping.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My Honda ST1100 is the first bike I've had with a screen. Didn't mind riding my learner 250 cruiser and my Boulevard M50 without screens, and don't mind riding the ST1100 with it's screen.

I damaged the ST1100 screen against the garage door frame and replaced it with a custom screen that was 80 mm (3") higher, I feel slightly more sheltered but my wife on the back gets more turbulence.

I do notice side winds more on a bike with a screen. And I weave away from oncoming trucks and turn back to cross their wind wake at as close to a right angle as I can because they knock the bike with the screen around. (Lots of undivided main roads down here, you have a triple trailer road train passing just the other side of the centre line and you know it.)

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I bought the Memphis Shades Fats for my '08 Boulevard when I had it, with the quick lock mounting, it was easy to take the windshield off when I wanted to....of course after having the windshield on I didn't take it off again, I liked having it there too much

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a C50T and the windshield is a must for highway riding. When I first started riding 40 years ago there were no windshields. You just ate the bigs and got use to the wind. I currently have a batwing and can't think of riding a bike with the bug protection.

If you do buy a windshield the rule of the thumb is that the windshield should come to the bridge of your nose. Otherwise you will have wind buffeting issues.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts