Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a Helmet to helmet communication system but I'm worried about wind noise. I wear foam earplugs when I ride and I'm afraid riding w/o them with the intercom system will be noisy. Also would like to know which system is best, Thanks

· Registered
48 Posts
I admit i cant say for personal experience but i have heard others say they have no issues with them so long as its full face helm where no wind can get inside (the kind that pull down or up over face)

But then i also hear some use just simple Bluetooth headphones so I would be curious to.

· Aging & Worn
4,646 Posts
When I bought my Road Glide, I knew that my wife would be riding with me, often. So it only seemed logical to purchase a set of microphones for our helmets.

We’re they pricy? Yes, I guess so. But not so much that I wouldn’t do it.

Were there multiple brands to choose from? Not at THAT particular HD Dealership.

We’re they easy to install? It took a little finesse to line up the microphones just right, so that they were close to our mouths.

Did they have foam windscreens? Yes.

Were they effective against the wind? To a point, yes; but increased speeds (like highway) decreased the potential for clear hearing, enough to be an annoyance.

The “up” side factors.....

Having them, was better than NOT, at least in terms of not having to have her yell in my ear, and craning my neck to listen.

The “plus” was being able to listen to the radio or CD player thru them, as well as two-way communication with the “other” person on the bike.

The “down” side.......

SHE could change the channel on me!!

The connection ports and wires that tethered us to the bike, were a bit of an annoyance. (I gather there are “wireless” types available.

One more side note: make sure you can get the microphone QUITE near your mouth, and as much behind the face shield as possible, for the best results.

Routing the speakers was a little tricky, but do-able. Make sure you don’t pinch the wires. The speakers were not uncomfortable, thanks to the way the foam cutouts were designed, in our helmets.

We used our microphones for a couple of years, until we sold the Road Glide.

Now that the wife and I ride side-by-side, with the bike-n-sidecar set up we now have, which DOESN’T have a set of communication ports, we are exploring the use of our portable phones and earbuds. Essentially, we place a call to the other, and stay on the call, during the ride. The earbud microphone works, but it’s not trouble-free, in terms of quality sound.

NOW, instead of grabbing me on the sides however, she slugs me in the LEG!!!!

· Registered
277 Posts
I have a set of Sena communicators I installed the inso two Shoe full face helmets while I haven't used it as an intercom yet I have listen to music and made a phone call both worked well no wind news at all.

· Visionary
6,300 Posts
My wife and I wear full face Helmets, never have a problem talking to each other at any speeds. There is a bit of wind noise noticeable if we are riding the bikes without the windshields but we can still talk without trouble, and with the windshield and fairing bikes there is NO background noise at all.
We use Sena SM-10 communication devices.

G

·
another Sena user here, It does seem to make a difference to me anyway, the bike I am on and the speed. On the goldwing, almost no noise, I can have a casual conversation with my wife at 75 mph. On the KTM, I have less wind protection and anything above about 60 it starts getting difficult to understand it all. As a side note, I almost always use foam ear plugs and just adjust the volume a little higher.

· Registered
240 Posts
One thing that really helped wind noise for me was a chin curtain. That thing that snaps in the chin of my full face helmet that blocks wind from rushing in. Without it the sound was like standing next to a rocket taking off. 75 mph was painfully loud. I don't know what other brands have them, I've had 2 Scorpions with them.

· Registered
25 Posts
I have much the same experience as oldryder suggest in his post. Using ear plugs cuts out a lot of the white noise, which means I can hear the intercom better. Also hearing is very individual I find that I’m unable to identify what people are saying in noisy environments, when other people can. This means that over 55 miles per hour the wind noise is so high I can’t distinguish what someone is saying. This is true even when wearing a full face helmet that is sold on it low noise levels.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I fitted SENA MH-10 units to my wifes full face helmet and my modular helmet, we would talk more on the bike than we did at home. A bit of wind noise, some helmets are better than others, but the SENA has an easy adjust volume knob. I wouldn't worry about foam earplugs, they tend to cut out a bit of background noise I found.

· Registered
33 Posts
Another sena user here. We only use full face helmets, don't know if that's what you have. They work well and we can chat, or listen to music, or talk on the phone. If someone calls we can actually both have separate phone calls.

· Registered
98 Posts
I also have a pair of Sena SMH10D-11. Wife and I have used then when riding together for a couple of years now. We use modular helmets and we rarely have wind noise issues with the face shield up but I do have a windshield and chin curtain. We love being able to effortlessly communicate with each other. This Sena model is older but built like a tank and very rain resistant if that matters to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.