Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought the Bell 3/4 helmet, the one that is specifically made to accomodate the Sena 10 intercom system, for both myself and my wife. A few months later I ordered the Sena 10 double set made for these helmets. Putting the Sena in and setting it up was very simple, even for non-mechanical me. But while both my wife and I really like the ability to talk to each other while riding, both of us feel that the constant wind noise picked up by the microphones is so distracting that we end up turning the intercom feature off. My bike has a large windscreen, but enough wind reaches the helmets that I sometimes wonder if its worth having the screen.

I still keep the Sena 10 turned on, because I have it linked via Bluetooth with my phone and my Garmin Zumo (it is nice to be able to hear the turn by turn instructions and not have to rely upon the images on the Garmin screen, especially in the bright glare of the sun). But I am frustrated that this wind noise issue is, in effect, causing us to actually use the intercom feature rarely if at all.

How do other users of intercoms handle the wind noise?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Have you read the manual to see if there is an adjustable SQUELCH? You shouldn't be listening to constant wind noise.

The Sena forums have a lot of useful information.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll try the Sena forums. Other than a volume control there is no other adjustment that can be made.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Vito, If I'm not mistaken there is a sensitivity seting on the mic that should help with the wind noise. What you're probably hearing is the wind activating the mic and amplifying in your headset. Check the webernet for set up on your unit.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Does the mic have a wind sock or can you put a bigger one on it?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no "sensitivity" setting on this model. Other than volume there are no adjustments that can be made. I did add the small clip on piece that blocks the outside of the mic, then put a larger wind sock on top. That did seem to make some difference, but at highway speed it still is pretty noisy for both myself and my wife when riding two up. Obviously when I am alone, and using the device merely to hear the GPS instructions or to accept a phone call there is no annoying wind noise.

I'm hopeful that when my new Clearview windscreen arrives it will do a better job of blocking the wind and airflow to the helmet area for both myself and my passenger and help with this noise issue as well.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Sorry you're having issues with your Sena. I usually ride without a windscreen, and while mine does sound like I'm riding on a motorcycle, the wind noise isn't bad enough to be an issue. The only other thing I might suggest is to double check the mike is facing the correct direction with the mike boom "fin" facing forward away from your lips every ride. I know with mine, I'll sometimes bump it while putting the helmet on. (Page 8 in my Sena guide book.) Good luck.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have foam covers for both microphones. The truth is that wind noise is not too bad if you don't wear a helmet, but anything except a full face helmet worn with the visor closed seems to amplify the wind noise. I'm hopeful that my soon-to-arrive new windscreen will reduce wind turbulence around the helmet and head area and let me use our intercom system more comfortably.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
All of my experiences with Sena have been disappointing, especially their support. They have ONE GUY who A) speaks English, and B) knows their product. And apparently they don't have riders actually TEST THEIR GEAR on actual motorcycles.

For example, the previous Sena unit SIMPLY was not LOUD ENOUGH to hear over wind noise, not using the little speakers. I had to cut them off and splice in earbuds to even distinguish what song was playing above 60mph

And that's on a sport/touring bike with a windscreen.

Quality is poor too. Read the forums about connectors breaking.

Someone's gonna come out with gear that's actually been tested by MC afficionados and KICK SENA'S ASS in the marketplace.

They appear to be a Chinese/Korean/whatever firm selling cheaply made product at a high markup to the MC crowd who apparently is NOT doing their homework before purchase.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Have you checked the mic orientation? There is a raised bump on my Sena mic that needs to be pointed toward my mouth to minimize interference from other sounds. The microphone is directional and having it pointed right is important.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts