Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'd love to get a bit of insight: I've been dealing with wind/windshield/deflector issues on my '08 Victory Kingpin. A couple weeks ago, I ordered a National Cycle 2-Up Switchblade windshield, to replace the one the previous owner had on, a shorter, tinted variety. This new shield was to go hand-in-hand with the lower deflectors that I also installed on this bike.

So far, it's done very little to relieve helmet buffeting! A buddy and I were at a Victory dealer yesterday and noticed a 'Pin with a similar shield, and remarked how low the clamps were, almost touching the turn-signals. Mine were set pretty high. So at home, we moved 'em down and then I did a test-ride: Better, but still noticeable....much more noticeable than what I'd experienced on my '05 Shadow Aero. I even switched to a 3/4 helmet, (I have an HJC full-face) and it helped a bit, although I'm sure some of it is because my head isn't fully encased. The whole thing is worrisome.

I have a tiny bit of movement, in that I could move the deflectors up a bit, but not much. Not sure it would help all that much. Any insights? Anyone using a 2-Up Switchblade with similar issues? I expect a bit of wind, sure. But I couldn't go an hour without having to stop to rest from the pounding.

Could another helmet help? Or maybe a fairing instead?

Thanks...

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A fairing would cut down on the amount of wind.

Moving the windshield and lowers around might help as well. Try them higher and lower.

Experiment without the lowers and just the windshield, too.

It's difficult to predict what the aerodynamics of any one setup will be. Usually, a windscreen at a height just below the rider's eye line will push the buffeting over the head.

The angle of the windshield will play a big part in where the air gets pushed to. Usually, a more upright mounting will push the buffeting zone higher.

·
10,756 Posts
On my Ultra there are several adjustable wind deflectors on the fairing and the lowers. It is amazing how much difference just moving those flaps about can stop or limit buffeting. Just keep trying different combinations until you find the best one for you.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Not another helmet.
Sounds like your windshield is the wrong height for your body - specifically your head.

Go to the Memphis Shades web site and look around for a link where they give advice about the right size (height) windshield to buy for your bike. If i remember correctly, when you are sitting on the seat, the top of your shield should be about level with the tip of your nose. But don't quote me on that - go check their guidelines.

If the shield is too low, the rising air will buffet against your helmet. You will not be having a fun day. But it's a simple adjustment to either move your windshield up, or get a taller one.

cheers,
dT

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,404 Posts
So you're encountering the never ending buffeting battle...before you start throwing money at it try a few things. First thing I'd do is try to determine where the air is coming from. Is it over the shield or coming up from under? Try riding with one arm across you chest and see if it stops. If it does its coming from under. Mover you arm a bit and see if its better in one location compared to another. Next try putting your hand in front of you and move it up and down. This will help determine if it's an issue with airflow coming over the shield. Do you notice a difference? Try leaning forward and back. Is one better than the other? It may just be the angle of the shield.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It is amazing how just an inch or so of tweeking can make a big difference with controlling airflow. Car companies spend lots,of time and effort with their cars in wind tunnels getting the air to flow over their cars just right. Even more so do airplane manufs. Sometimes just an inch long vane can make a bigg difference in a huge airplane. Of course they are going a lot faster, but the concept is the same.

·
3...2...1... V Boost
400 Posts
Usually you want the angle of the windshield to match the angle of your forks. If that angle is significantly different it can cause buffeting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts