Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
Got a question for Other Heritage Owners and HD folks in general.
Friend who also has a Heritage told me he was having issues with wind "Buffeting" him ( Head/ Helmet) when he rides and he found a set of Plastic Wind "Diverters" ( Not the name he used but that's the function) that he mounted on the Highway bars ( Again, they are called something else, but thats the function, got a set myself) which divert the wind somewhat and lessen the head buffeting he was experiencing, I am intrigued.
Anyone else use these?? EYE?? ODE??
Question 2, anyone use "safety bars" / Crash Bars on rear of their Heritage around the bags??
Thanks
Ed

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I've seen what they call fangs for the forks and they work so I see no reason why a deflector on the crash bar wouldn't do the same. Most buffeting people feel is in fact coming from below the tank and not above it or the windshield. My search only brought up one for a Victory but even it would work just fine on a Harley. Do you have a picture of the exact one?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen what they call fangs for the forks and they work so I see no reason why a deflector on the crash bar wouldn't do the same. Most buffeting people feel is in fact coming from below the tank and not above it or the windshield. My search only brought up one for a Victory but even it would work just fine on a Harley. Do you have a picture of the exact one?
Thanks hogcowboy:biggrin:
Nope, I don't have a picture , trying to remember now if he said they mounted to fork or highway bar!!?? I havnt actually seen them, just listened to him talk about them.You got me pondering if my memory is flawed and maybe he actually said.. Fork??.... hmmmmm maybe next Tuesday ( not tomorrow) when we have our weekly ride in, I can take a pic if he rides his Heritage and not his Vintage bike. Thanks for the input hc!!
Ed

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Many bikes with shields have these; they are often called 'lowers'. Those I've seen mount to the fork, just below the bottom of the windshield, some to the light bar. The adjustable ones seem to be preferred, as you can move them to the right spot to control the air coming up around the tank and hitting you in the chin. There are some available for the Valkyrie that mount to the tops of the engine guards, and are a lot larger than the windshield lowers, so the same is likely true for your bike.

Here's one source: http://motowing.com/gallery/harley-customer-gallery

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Ah. I'm betting forks then. They are the most common deflectors. They come in chrome that I've seen and they call then fangs. But I've seen clear ones too and have no idea what they call them then.

Here's the clear as well. They do have some though that go on the crash bars.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I've seen a few people putting bars around the bags on the rear. Sort of along the lines of what's on some Ultras.

Another type of shield that mounts on the front hiway bars are called a "Desert Dogs."

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I had lowers on my Victory Vegas, couldn't tell if they really did any good. I do know that being an air cooled bike, in the summer it definitely kept the heat there, especially when stopped in traffic. They were fork mounted and I would just turn them in some so they weren't blocking so much air.

·
8,572 Posts
I had the ones that Hog provided the picture for on my Electra Glide and they worked well for what they were.

I also had a pair of leather wind diverters that fit on the Stock HD highway/ engine guards. They worked good to keep some cold air off the feet.

Best wind protection in the world was a Vetter, Windjammer 3, with lowers. I had it on my new 1981 Yamaha XS1100: Freezing weather became T-shirt weather:biggrin:

The ones on my past Goldwing's and BMW K1200LTc were fantastic also, especially with the electric windshield on the BMW.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not 100% sure.....but I bet he said Fork mounted!!
I am gonna check on that.
Eye, doesn't the missus ride a Heritage??
Does she have some fork mounted deflectors?
If so, like them?
Ed

·
Registered
943 Posts
I put lower wind deflectors on my '2 FXD and they reduced the head-buffeting quite a bit but the biggest improvement was changing helmets. I moved from one with a face shield to a half-helmet and goggles - problem gone! The face shield was catching the wind coming up the front of the tank.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put lower wind deflectors on my '2 FXD and they reduced the head-buffeting quite a bit but the biggest improvement was changing helmets. I moved from one with a face shield to a half-helmet and goggles - problem gone! The face shield was catching the wind coming up the front of the tank.

Thanks DianneB!!:biggrin:
Ed;)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had lowers on my Victory Vegas, couldn't tell if they really did any good. I do know that being an air cooled bike, in the summer it definitely kept the heat there, especially when stopped in traffic. They were fork mounted and I would just turn them in some so they weren't blocking so much air.
Thats an angle I hadnt thought about!! The whole Heat rising while you are sitting still and engine is hot thing.
I may check with some folks who have these diverters and see how severe tht problem is.
Thanks Luvs2Play:biggrin:
Ed

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Gators

If they are lowers and not attached to the fairing, I call them gators or leg guards. I mounted mine on the engine. With a windshield of varying types, there is a lot of air that blows up from the fork area and past the gas tank.
I noticed this when I put the rain cover on my tank bag. The wind blows it up and tries to remove it.
When it cools in the late fall, I notice the tops of my legs cooling. That is where the gators help. They also help stop the rain hitting my legs and boots.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
48 Posts
I made some lowers out of plexiglass and aluminum angle for my Nighthawk. The wind was going under my Slipstreamer and curling up. Made a big difference. Made a difference (bad) in gas mileage too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts