Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 yamaha maxim 650 when i put a battery in nothing happens? BUT when i bought it the guy turned it over at his house with a battery he had put an inline headlight fuse on the rest is original he said something about one coil was not getting power was a good coil?

He said it could be the igniton ignitor THE BRAIN i need to know how to test if im getting power from the battery threw the wriring harness threw the fuses and if everything is working like it should? please tell me how to do this simply not to confusing i do have a tester of some sort it has to knobs and and a whole bunch of different settings.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
First make sure the battery connections are snug and on the correct terminals. If everything is tight, check the fuses next. If everything is good there start checking the wiring to the starter. Check from the battery to the starter switch to the starter motor for 12 volts of current. Look for any signs of bad wiring along the harness.

A service manual with a wiring schematic will come in very handy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The igntion truns on and the bike turns over now ive fixed that. so now the bike turns over and can turn on and shutoff all lights work but headlight. AND 1 coil holes 2 and 3 get great spark and coil 2 holes 1 and 4 get nothing ?? and the main fuse on the bike gets hot extrmely fast and smokes??

·
Registered
82 Posts
if it's getting hot a smoking it is more then likely the wrong amp fuse and you have a short somewhere. fuses are made to protect things. you could either leave that fuse in there and cook out your problem or start going through your ignition system and finding the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats sounds good i just am going to tear the wirein harness out install a mush simpler and better fuse box should i go threw the harness and anything that looks like crap i should replace? if so how do i replace it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
if there is any question on replacing something my opinion is to replace it. trace it back to where it goes and start replacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts