Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find my battery tender for my Harley and was wondering if I buy another brand, will the power source plug fit into the receiving plug already on my bike? They both look like the same plug-in, (male/female along side each other type) in the photos on-line. Anyone know if they are universal, like trailer light plugs are? Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
The should be. I have two one on the car one on the bike, different brands, but I can plug either into the other

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Even if it WAS a different connector type, it's a piece of cake to hook up the quick-connect that usually comes with Battery Tenders.

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Check the polarity with your multimeter before you plug anything into ANY unknown plug. Someone may have miswired it.
I second that recommendation. The weakness of these types of polarized plugs is that they can be reversed on the battery side pretty easily.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the polarity with your multimeter before you plug anything into ANY unknown plug. Someone may have miswired it.

Same with dating.
"same with dating" :biggrin: Reminds me of a street in Singapore where there were the most beautiful "women" you've ever seen...and a few poor souls who aren't forewarned take the bait.:eek:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
bdobb - been there, it is a scary place if you know the secret

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
And never EVER let YOUR probe come in contact with the probe from another meter. It might not just be fuses that get blown....

disclaimer: NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT....

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Wade, you're starting to sound like a voltaphobe.

I don't know how you metric guys like to do group diagnostics, but if you're all sitting around and there's a few sockets knocking on the door just begging to be checked, it ain't no big deal if you cross probes with a Brother now and then. And hey, some devices love to have two, or even three, sockets checked at the same time.

Loosen up and relax a bit. It's all about getting the juice to flow freely, right?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used a Honda tender on my last HD. It worked just fine.
Thanks, Oldman47. From what I've seen, most all of the two-wire set ups made for motorcycles fit together and operate with the same voltages.:71baldboy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts