Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look out all y’all that are north and east of my location. Tornado or just very high winds ripping through here and it’s headed your way. So find your hiding place. Not even sure y’all will get this but I tried.

·
7,009 Posts
Look out all y’all that are north and east of my location. Tornado or just very high winds ripping through here and it’s headed your way. So find your hiding place. Not even sure y’all will get this but I tried.
Thanks for the heads up Larry. Seems like we have a pretty effective weather warning system right here on our forum!

Right now, this system is around 100 miles below us and blowing East.

Rain is in our area though for the next week!

Be careful.

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've been busy trying to dig out from under the trees and limbs that plugged our drainage and flooded the garage and shop. Twister trimmed the tops of trees and downed some old oak trees with heart rot. Knocked our 50 foot free standing antenna down which also was where the dish for our internet was. So I have extremely spotty internet right now by trying to use the phone as a hot spot. The road in and out is completely closed due to down trees and flooding. But we are lucky according to reports we are getting. They say Bowie is unrecognizable. Lots of damage there. We have a picture of twin twisters going thru and I can pin point where they hit here and Bowie is just 2.5 miles from us.

Hope everyone else made it thru this stuff okay. I'll be in limp mode until we can get a crane out here to put another antenna mast back up but it's way too wet to get a heavy rig in here right now. Plus everyone else wants that kind of service as well. So on the waiting list I'll be. But good luck everyone. Hope y'all squeaked by on this one. We didn't this time unfortunately. But like I say, we are still lucky.

Back to back breaking work for now.

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the twister. (Well doesn't look like I can get the video to post, I'll work on it later.)

This is our 1 of two ways out of our places.

This spreader was moved over 200 feet. It's the only piece of equipment that got any damage at all. Well until I uncover some that is buried right now.

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks like the video won't go but here's a still shot.

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I got it. It's not much different than the still shot but it was bugging me that I couldn't get it to post.

·
7,009 Posts
My GOD Larry, I'm glad you guys are okay and that you didn't get any more damage than you did! To actually see the Tornado coming your way is an underwear changing event! It seem like most all of our severe storms happen at night and the only time a person could see the wall or funnel cloud is when lightning strikes.

Do you have a basement or dedicated storm shelter? I sure hope so. We have a purpose built armored storm room in a corner of our basement and we have been in there a half dozen times over the 20 years we have been here in SW Missouri.

You are in our prayers my Friend.

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the video isn't mine. That's from a friend 12 miles down the road at Vashti. He got that just as the sun was setting. This was the slowest storm I've ever seen. It was moving at only 10 mph. By the time it got to us it was dark. We had to wait for daylight to see the damage. And yes, we do have a shelter but I just laid in bed wondering if this would be my ticket. I sleep through all these storms. They don't bother me one bit. One of these days I'll finally learn what I'm supposed to learn or will have taught others the right things and will get my ticket punched to move on. That's my positive spin on these darn things. Don't worry, be happy kind of thing. But the cleanup is going to take months. That part I can do without.

·
Registered
738 Posts
the cleanup is going to take months. That part I can do without.
Yeah, that truly sucks but glad it was just property and not personnel!

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I hope the storm played out here and no one else got any damage. It was a very very slow moving thing. I've never seen one move this slow and keep doing damage. The weather-cast folks said it was moving at 10mph. But our weather station(Davis) had sustained wind at 64mph before it went silent. So it might have moved slow but it was moving fast as well.

·
7,009 Posts
It seems impossible but this chunk of Hail not far from where you live, fell Friday evening! The story is on the 'National Weather' website today.
Sam
:oops:

·
Registered
738 Posts
OMG! That is yuuuuge! ^

I remember when I was younger, our area rarely, if ever, saw twisters or hail. Nowadays, we usually get one or the other a couple times a year in the warmer months...

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I learned more about the twister that hit our place and it explains what I'm seeing in damage. We got hit when that thing turned into a twin twister. Here's a photo of what actually looks really close to our place. This is from a fireman in town as they looked west which would be right at us. I do see two different damage areas so it can't be the exact time we were hit because my damaged show about a ¼ mile between the two cleared paths. I don't think this shows ¼ mile or maybe the on ground whip point is.

·
Visionary
3,378 Posts
Holy crap that's some scary weather, twin twisters, hail the size of a cantalope, what's next, a plague, or giant hornets, or...
oh wait.. never mind.

Glad your OK and nothing looks too seriously damaged!

·
American Legion Rider
20,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the strangeness of tornadoes. Our three sided freestanding TV antenna mast was blown over but our flagpole with flag flying at night because it's lighted, made it. Just amazing. Probably due to the splitting of the twister. The pole is between the two paths.

Two trees further up the row to the right is where more limbs were ripped off that tree.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts