Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 hyosung aquila 250 and it sat over winter and when I tried to start it this year and do a little maintenance on it it wouldent start and the neutral light dosent come on when I turn the key I bought a new battery and I put in a new ignition switch I've tried to look for loose wires I havent found any. is there somthing I'm missing?

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Well Tyler, you really don't say much, Is headlight bright and horn loud? if so then battery should be good enough to get bike going.

Does it have electric start and starter does not crank, or it does but bike still won't start? Can you take bike out of gear and roll it? Neutral switches can go bad, OR is it that bike must be in neutral and kick stand DOWN before it can start? In which case if you have a bad kick-stand or neutral switch, then starter will NOT crank nor will you get ignition. I'd pull plug/s and see if you get a spark. If you don't get a spark you should check fuses, as you have an electrical problem. If you get spark and bike won't start, put a bit of gas in plug hole, if she fires then you have a carb or fuel to engine issue. READ the OWNERS MANUAL ! I am sure it has a troubleshooting guide .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headlight doesent come on the horn doesent make any sound the turn signals dont work it doesn't try to start or turn over ive checked all the fuses it acts like there no electric at all no lights come on no sounds from anything if I press the start button if i put it in neutral it will roll but it still won't start or light up if I try to. The manual doesent have a section for a problem like this ive already looked thru it probably 10 times.

·
Registered
71 Posts
as stated, check for spark by removing the spark plug and, with it still connected to it's lead, ground it to the cylinder head and kick the bike over. if it has spark you can move on to the fuel system.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
The headlight doesent come on the horn doesent make any sound the turn signals dont work it doesn't try to start or turn over ive checked all the fuses it acts like there no electric at all no lights come on no sounds from anything if I press the start button if i put it in neutral it will roll but it still won't start or light up if I try to. The manual doesent have a section for a problem like this ive already looked thru it probably 10 times.
ARE U SURE BATTERY WAS GOOD? you said you got a new battery and ignition sw. do you drive? got a car? jump to car's battery and see if anything happens. If everything works, you have to figure out why battery went dead or did you put new battery in last winter and let it sit until July?hook red wire or wire that goes to bikes + side of battery to car's positive, otherwise you could ruin R/R.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
IF you jump it from a car battery MAKE SURE THE CAR ISN'T RUNNING!!!!!

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Also, make sure you don't have the battery connected backward. I accidentally did that while working on my scooter project. Baffled the heck outta me why a fully charged battery wouldn't provide power!

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Sounds like a good way to get one's bra straps in a knot ! Seems that would burn out the rectifier/regulator though, or jumping to another battery with improper polarity. I have jumped my Sporty a number of times to my truck, when I first got the bike, had truck running too. I NEVER had a problem doing this.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
IF you jump it from a car battery MAKE SURE THE CAR ISN'T RUNNING!!!!!
Well Hello Critter! Hope you are feeling better.

In regards to what you say, Harley says the same thing ! BUT think of it this way, they are out to make a $ or two. . .right? they are SO not going to give advice if it could come back an bite them where the sun doesn't shine. . .right.

Say I have bike brought in for charging trouble, still under warranty, I say, "I jumped it to a running vehicle." POOOOF I bet the whole expense will be outa my pocket, "they will say," You were not to have done that, it is in your owners manual."
BUT if it was in the manual that it is o.k. to jump bike to a running vehicle, H-D would have to make good on it, and of course being a new bike and the battery going out before its time. . .I should not have had a battery go out earlier. . .

When I jumped Sporty to my truck, there was some power in battery just not enough the truck battery gave the Xtra amps I needed. If I wanted to charge bike battery from running truck, which I have done, I needed 14 volts to go into 12 volts, a small difference would allow current to flow to the bike battery, but 12 volts to 12 volts, won't charge because both batteries are equal in voltage.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
I am working on getting better Ray, thanks for asking. A car's battery produces too much power for a bike's battery could cause a $H!Tload of issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried jumping it with my car and still nothing and my bike only has electric start and it doesent even try to turn over so there isent any spark from the plug when I press the button its like there's no battery in it but I've checked it with a multimeter its got a full charge on it still

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Did you checked the startermotor? The coals in the starter motor may be worn out.
A starter motor has NO COALS ! Coals are part of a burning fire ! A starter motor DOES have COILS though! Probably 4 field COILS and the COILS in the ARMATURE, also 2 pair of BRUSHES, Starter switch could be BAD and for that matter Starter
Solenoid too. When you thumb starter switch current goes through coil in solenoid making electro-magnet, sucking in armature which close or bridges circuit between battery and starter motor.

Chances are a heavy wire from battery goes to solenoid, another wire hooks at the solenoid and goes through fuse then to ignition sw..connect - or black lead of meter to ground and start looking for volts with red probe. There should be 12 v+ on one side of engine run switch, if there is jump across sw. of starter, solenoid should work and starter kicks over, IF NOT, make sure bike is IN NEUTRAL should have already been though. run wire from battery+ to small terminal on solenoid. There has to be a terminal or connection for solenoid coil, if solenoid does NOT click when power is at small terminal, I'd say it is burned out.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
I tried jumping it with my car and still nothing and my bike only has electric start and it doesent even try to turn over so there isent any spark from the plug when I press the button its like there's no battery in it but I've checked it with a multimeter its got a full charge on it still
Just because a meter says a battery has FULL CHARGE by reading 12 volts, That means nothing without putting it on a LOAD TESTER ! ONLY THEN WILL YOU KNOW HOW GOOD THAT BATTERY IS! I bet you put battery in last winter and it went DEAD ON YOU? RIGHT?

Jump to car again and with bike battery out of system. start looking for voltage at the ignition switch. meter black lead hooked to ground, should have 12 v+ on one side of ignition sw. then on both sides with sw. ON. You can do that . . .RIGHT?

Maybe LOAD side of ig, sw. has a fuse that works lights, horn and starter circuit but YOU won't know until you find out where voltage is stopping, SO, with car battery +hooked to to what I would think is a RED heavy wire on bike for bikes+ side and car - to bike frame. You should have one wire with 12 v+ on it running through the bike. It could be hooked to bat + or hooked at solenoid, CHECK ALL FUSES WITH OHM-METER TO DETERMINE THEY ARE GOOD. DO NOT ASSUME FUSE IS GOOD!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ray'ssporty1200.
I'm from Belgium and we name it coals, because they are black. They are needed for create electicity. I don't know the right English word for it, so that's why I wrote coals. My frind lately had the same problem. Battery ok, control blubs are working. You can here the click of the relais leeds to the starter motor, but doesn't turn. I checked the (coals ) coils and they'r worn out. ( motorbike 3 years old ). Replace new one and aal clear. I just was trying to give a sugestion to help.
Have a great motorday.

Motordokter

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
U R saying coils are called coals? because they are black? They don't use red enameled magnet wire?
well as long as you know coils used with magnets can produce electricity. I guess you are talking about someone else as whats his face says he has nothing going on. U R right though, relay will click, usually though it is called a starter solenoid, one end of coil is grounded and when putting 12 volts+ to it from starter sw. it should work coil in solenoid and bridging contacts, starter should work.

Hope you also have a good day.

Ray'ssporty1200

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
The core of the issue is that the bike isn't getting any power. Aside from checking fuses (there may be an inline fuse on the hot lead going to the battery) and grounds, you may need to try a different battery. Also make sure that new ignition switch is wired correctly.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Hello Miss Mercedes !
Yeah this is a weird issue, no power when jumped to car, seems to think battery is good because voltmeter says so! I learned that lesson decades ago Someone else had a similar problem a short time ago, turned out that the battery was so 'shot ta hell' when he turned on key, bat volts crashed to the floor.

Some ignition keys have 3 screws or terminals, 1 for battery, 1 for ignition, lights, and starter circuit and sometimes you can wire sw. so you just have tail-lights and /or running lights so if you get stuck at night, you still have a few small lights so others will see you. But Tyler has nothing. Wondering if it is an in-line fuse between wire from battery and ignition switch, Says he put in new battery , wonder when he did that? and a new ignition sw. if it has 3 terminals, he could have wired it wrong, not with two, though. I will suggest he takes the two wires going to switch, remove from switch an twist them together, Seems like bike just might come back from the dead if in-line fuse is good.

The saga of the dead bike continues!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts