Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been brought up countless times, but I have feel that we all have more to add. I am a freshman growing up in Reno, nv, I felt the urge to ride about a year ago which is when I started looking for a vintage dirt bike. almost 2 months ago I was on my way to a baseball game when driving down the street I saw the bikes of shredders stable staring at me from a non-descript garage. We pulled over and shook the hand of GraceShredder himself I did not know it then but I was in the presence of a master and his art. After about 15 minutes of talking about his bikes we gave him our number and asked him to keep an eye out. Well about a week later he informed me he had a Trail 90 for me and we restored it together.
My whole perspective on riding changed once I kicked my bike over for the first time. I ride because once im on the bike the rest of the world doesn't matter, the stress of school and growing up simply melts and im left with a freedom to take game trails and climb hills, to find the beauty of the high desert and sometimes the freedom of a little speed.

why do you ride

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Why do I ride? Nothing is simpler. After a day of stressing out trying to work with folks who obviously don't get it I can jump on my bike and in 10 minutes I am back to being calm and relaxed. All of the stress is gone. My only question would be how can anyone not ride and still stay sane.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Why I ride....I spent my teen years on the back of a bike, sneaking around so my parents wouldn't find out, they weren't crazy about bikes and probably would flip out if they saw me. Maybe a rebel thing. Got married, had kids. Wanted to keep riding, hubby wanted nothing to do with a bike. Understandably so, as he had an accident that caused tramatic brain injury. Still had to sneak in rides with other guys. Maybe not the best way to keep a marraige alive. Finally, after 23 years of marraige, and losing all my riding buddies (they gave up bikes) I said, f it. I'm bringing home a bike and if he don't like it oh well. Surprising or not, he was all for it. Now we are both on the bikes. Glad to see him back on the Iron Horse. Some think I am having a mid life crisis, but I have always loved to ride on the back, didn't really think much of switching seats till a few years ago, but I did it and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I ride for the same reason that you do.

My problem is ... just that I ride in Los Angeles.
There are these annoying pieces of c*ppy tin, commonly known as "automobiles, that are actually using MY roads. Can you believe that?? I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of them, but its like getting rid of cockroaches ... they're breeding at a rate thats faster than I can destroy them. It's ticking me off !!

But other than that ... I'm happy :)

dT

·
Registered
336 Posts
You nailed it shredder, I ride for the same reason too.When i'm on my bike my mind goes to neutral and I get away from everything in this troubled world and even spend some time with the Great Creator in which I sometimes find answers to some of the questions of life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agree with all of you. I ride for the complete "Zen" of freeing my mind. Thinking of nothing but the road. It's a little escape and kiss of freedom. The only other time I feel this way is zipping down a mountain on a snowboard through some fresh powder.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
It's the only time I'm pain free and that's enough for me. Been that way from my very first ride and was amazed. Doc hates to admit it but agrees there must be enough distractions from vibration and traffic to keep my mind occupied on other things. But it works every time.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Many reasons, and I have waxed poetic in past threads on this subject. But one big reason is that when I am on my bike the years seem to melt away. I'm 71 now, and in reasonably good health, but when I get on my bike I feel 40 again!

C

·
0 Posts
I think as Eye stated I could never answer that question completely. However, some things I like are the sound of the pipes, the feel and sound of the motor, the wind, the smells like fresh cut grass, fires such as fire pits, cow crap or horse crap, tire noise on the pavement, leaning, accelerating, shifting, the smell of gas and oil, the smell of leather, bugs hitting my face letting me know I am alive, the feel and smell of sweat riding in hot temps, the freedom and openness I feel while riding, the stress that dissolves while on a bike, etc. There are so many things I can't even post them all. For me, riding a bike is becoming part of the bike and feeling the vibration, sound, and feel. It truly is something you can not put in to words.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like to feel in control of any machine. I'm not a control freak, I just like to know the machine I'm on does what I tell it to. Okay, okay, maybe I'm somewhat of a control freak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts