Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
oh yesssss! i do, the feeling of watching some one in an equally powerful machine is like, looking at each other and saying..."we are the Best!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think its about staying focused.

After thinking about it. I think its a safety thing.
I nod or gesture below the handle bar when I see another biker.
If I see you I'm focused on what I'm doing.
I have noticed other bikers in my pereferable vision knowing I just passed them and didn't signal. I didn't see them initially, didn't gesture and felt after that I let them down. I don't think anyone should feel bad that they didn't get a signal from someone else. If you signal someone and they don't gesture in return. You might stop and consider you may have just signaled to a futer crops. Two months ago I was riding, saw a hand gesture under the handle bar from a cop on a bike. When you see guys on rockets and they don't gesture you really wonder how many of them are going to make it to riding cruisers in their old age.

G

·
Waving Revisited Yet Again

As another member pointed out, we've covered this subject multiple times now already. I say it's a 'fun' subject so bring it on some more! ;) Why do I wave? I wave because dog gone it; it's cool, it's fun, don't cost nuthin' and it sure as schitt surely generates more good feelings out there then the more common negative ones, ya' know?! :rolleyes: Everybody pretty much gets a wave outta' me, whether they want it or not. Yup, I'll most likely be out on a friggin' Harley, wearing a Full Face Helmet but a traditional style MC Jacket and Blue Jeans. :eek: Again, I'll wave to ya' whether you're on a Metric or Domestic, Dresser or Sport, Scooter or Enduro - one I don't care and two I honest to gosh can't tell what the heck 85% of the bikes ARE coming the other way anyways! :eek: Admitedly I don't care to wave on the highway because I feel it just confuses the idiots passing me at 85 or higher - dangerous! :eek: I pretty much gave up trying to wave (hello) to folks on bikes as they're passing me - usually it's folks on Metrics (Crusiers or Sports) and I'm just a low-life Harley Basterd riding "Butt Jewelry" (as they'd put it).... sad. :( I'd be more then happy to stop and jabber to those folks about they're scoots over coffee. Aw well... :rolleyes:

No, I won't wave to some (not all but...) M/C's coming the other way - it's just proper Etiquette - just saying. BUT what's especially neat I'm saying is when you encounter Ranchers, Farmers, folks on Horseback, etc.. who wave at you as you're going by, out in the rural countryside. That really puts a big smile on my sour mug for the rest of the year, I kid you not! :D

LRG :cool:

Fottnote: If I ever get my Vic to behave itself will I be out waving to Harley folks still?! Dang straight! :D

·
Very Famous Person
9,991 Posts
... I don't think anyone should feel bad that they didn't get a signal from someone else. If you signal someone and they don't gesture in return. You might stop and consider you may have just signaled to a futer crops. Two months ago I was riding, saw a hand gesture under the handle bar from a cop on a bike. ...
--
Don...,
What's a "futer crops"?

RonK :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Out here in rural Kansas everybody waves at pretty much everyone else, biker or not. It's just a friendly gesture as long as you're not giving the 1 finger salute when you're waving.

·
Motorcycle Enthusiast In Training
123 Posts
Yesterday I did the "two fingers under the handlebars" to a couple HD drivers in the oncoming. One returned and the other gave me the piece sign.

Now that I've visited this and realized all the different kinds of waves, I think that maybe the reason the "sporty" drivers don't wave back is because they don't know that they are supposed to.

Before this thread, I didn't realize what bikers were doing. I thought they were signaling a lane-change or that there was a hazard on the road.

I guess all I'm saying is don't hate on people that don't return the wave, maybe they don't know what they are supposed to do or feel like they can't take their hands off the bars yet.

Just my .02

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I used to sit in the back of my dad's Virago 750 back in the early 80's, he waved at every other bike. When we rode in the pick-up truck, he also waved at the bikes. I picked up the habit early and have continued. Don't know why folks do it, but it does feel good when they wave back. BTW, back in Wetumpka (Alabama, where dad is living) they wave at cars going by their yards....just saying "hi"

·
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread
1,994 Posts
I for one have had several bikers and bike brands,& types go past me on my 1981 honda cb650c some do the low wave some not some nod so don't
I nod nost of the time because I am new at riding and don't feel safe doing it but I nod to say hi and nice ride.
Old, new, Crusiers or Sports ,Pocket Rockets there all kool to me.
I see very few bikes like mine ok none around here. But it is still my ride and it looks better at It's age than I do.:)

G

·
I wave cause the first bike I ever passed on a bike waved at me. I was like that dude just waved at me I'd better wave back. Been waving at every two wheeler ever since.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I always waved at everyone. Two fingers down to say - keep the rubber on the road, bro. ALmost always got the same in return. Another aspect of riding that I'm gonna miss...

·
10,756 Posts
I think that it is about being part of a community and having a common interest. I drive a 40 year old air cooled VW, when not on the bike. If I ever see another old VW while I am driving, which in these northern states is a rarity, they almost always wave. When I started riding I rode passed another biker and he waved. I have been waving ever since.

·
Very Famous Person
9,991 Posts
I think that it is about being part of a community and having a common interest. I drive a 40 year old air cooled VW, when not on the bike. If I ever see another old VW while I am driving, which in these northern states is a rarity, they almost always wave. When I started riding I rode passed another biker and he waved. I have been waving ever since.
--
Bad...,
How funny that seems. I used to do that with my VW, too, but that was because they had just come to America and were so few and new on the road, that it was a unique experience.:cool:

Things sure progress.

RonK :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It was a police bike.

I nod or gesture below the handle bar when I see another biker.
If I see you I'm focused on what I'm doing.
I have noticed other bikers in my pereferable vision knowing I just passed them and didn't signal. I didn't see them initially, didn't gesture and felt after that I let them down. I don't think anyone should feel bad that they didn't get a signal from someone else. If you signal someone and they don't gesture in return. You might stop and consider you may have just signaled to a future corpse. Two months ago I was riding, saw a hand gesture under the handle bar from a cop on a bike. When you see guys on rockets and they don't gesture you really wonder how many of them are going to make it to riding cruisers in their old age.
I knew it was a police bike, Most of use don't ride motorcycles with rotating flasher lights mounted on poles attached to the rear fender.

·
Motorcycling Unplugged !!
1,260 Posts
Well it was told to us in our MSF class about all different kinds of waves. My instructor told me that we wave coz we belong to the same community and its true. I feel good when i see a biker passing by or riding with me wheather its a scooter or a sport bike or a cruiser. i wave at all of them and as many of us told above, many a times i do get a wave back or sometimes get a nod or sometimes not but i make a point to wave at everybody if its safe for me.

To me its like "hey man lets increase the number of bikers on the road" thing :)

·
Very Famous Person
9,991 Posts
I guess I ment ------------------

future corps.

sorry man,
Dont tase me bro.
--
Well, Don...,
Maybe you guys in Michigan (isn't that where Algonac is?) have different terms. I never heard of police, or cops, called "future corps" before. Thank you for the enlightenment.

RonK :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's all about respect and the brotherhood no matter if your talking about motorcycles, classic cars or truckers people that share a common interest normally have respect for others with the same interests

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Ron, the Corps was a mis-spelling I think, if you go back to his next post (the one he quotes himself in) it is corpse (as in a dead guy ;))

of course I could be completely wrong :p (but I don't think so)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I really think there's something special about being out on the road and being one with your bike. It's not like a cage, braking requires both hands and both feet when done properly. Changing gears requires two hands and one foot. There is just something about being so connected with the machine that makes it special to me. To me the wave is just me saying I see and respect you for embracing the experience. I remember seeing bikers wave as they passed each other on the road and thinking, I really want to be a part of that club. Now I am and the first wave ever directed to me felt almost as good as driving my baby off the lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wave at all, I can give a damn what you rid. I wave at you cuz you enjoy the passion of riding as so do I. I had a VW Touareg last year (not a common SUV) and we would wave at other Touaregs and they would wave back. It's a sign of - Hey, I like what you like now let's roll on the throttle and fly through thjese damn cages. Some don;t wave back. I wear a full face helmet and I get waves back from sport bikes. Not all Harley riders wave back but most do, In Rancho Cucamonga at least.

Oh BTW, I also have a Jeet Wrangler lifted and fully geared for the rocks. All Jeep drivers wave at each other. It's a Jeep thing - you wouldn't understand; so the saying goes. Keep waving, eventually they'll wave back!

21 - 40 of 144 Posts