Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was about as perfect a day as there could be for riding. Blue sky, temps in the upper 70's, and not much wind. My wife was tied up with chores but I was not about to let such a perfect day go by without getting out for a good ride. I went on the smaller roads about an hour's ride to a place I have often gone to for lunch, and where other riders often head to as well. I'll admit I put the enjoyment of the ride over absolute safety. For one thing, if I really wanted to get somewhere safely, I am much better off in my 5,000 pound SUV than on a motorcycle. But I rode, and while I always wear a helmet because I can't stand what hair I have blowing in my face, I didn't wear a jacket or gloves. Just a t-shirt, jeans, open face helmet and short boots, and it was a really great ride. It was one of those rides where I find myself thinking that it doesn't get much better than this. But when I arrived at my destination, another bike pulled up next to me. It was a guy on a BMW R1200 in full leathers, full face helmet, heavy riding gloves and boots up to his hips (almost). He took his helmet off and was drenched in sweat even though it was not really that warm out. When he took off his leather jacket I literally stepped back a few feet because his odor would knock you over. And he looked about as miserable as someone could look. I asked him if he had a good ride, and he answered that it was a nice ride but that he was roasting. When I said you might consider a mesh jacket or an open face helmet he said "Not my thing" adding "I go all the gear or I don't ride". I feel each rider has the right certainly to make their own decisions, but in my mind I think "why ride if its no fun?". It certainly did not look like he felt he was having fun. I know its a sterotype, but I rarely see BMW riders NOT in full ATGATT.

· Banned
76 Posts
When I go for a ride, I just put on what's clean and comfy at the house. If its shorts, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes... I'm totally happy with that, and I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
Apparently he was having fun vito. Some just sweat more than others to begin with. I doubt he'll be riding in our 90º+ temps though.

· Aging & Worn
4,646 Posts
There have been times, when the “ride” was not fun. But I knew that going in. Like those early Spring rides where the temp is cold enough to chill me to the bone even IF I have a ton of gear on.

It’s a choice......

Sometimes, that choice, puts me in my cage, just because it’s easier.

Any fellow bikers who would hassle you for making a choice that they didn’t feel was “biker hard ass”” enough, are not the kind of bikers I would spend much time around.

I feel sorry for the folks who are all geared up beyond comfort, as much as I feel for the ones in sandles and shorts. There’s a happy “in between” that works.

I might start OFF with more layers, but I’ll strip down as needed along the way, or add on; depending. But always within personal preferential limits.

· Registered
537 Posts
There are times that I look at my motorcycle as transportation. There have been a couple of stretches where it was my only way to get around. Those days should be behind me now...

During that time there where days I rode when I would rather not have. There was no fun factor in it, mostly weather related. I didn't have a good or easy choice otherwise so I rode.

But if only the safest option made me happy, I would never have taken up riding to start with.

I'm not onboard with those all gear guys either. But as long as they don't hassle me, I can live and let live.

I ride because it's mostly enjoyable, cause I find it enjoyable most of the time.

· Registered
857 Posts
I also ATGATT and will wear full leather/helmet/gloves/boots even if it’s 100 out and I feel I might catch fire when I stop. I still have a ball when it’s insanely hot, and just make a focus on stopping for water often. I guess I don’t feel safe if I don’t have all the gear on so even if I would be more comfortable without a jacket, the enjoyment would diminish because I would feel vulnerable. The opposite happened this weekend. I let my mapping software pick a new route to a new breakfast stop in the Catskills. I left without a base layer or balaclava because it had been so hot the past couple of days, I figured that it may be chilly now at 6:30 am but would warm nicely. I got to the cafe at about 10:30, and it never got comfortably warm the entire way there. Did I care? Well, I wished that I had been warmer (you probably couldn’t hear my bike over the sound of my clacking teeth), but the ride was beautiful and I had the time of my life, same as I always do. The ride is always with it.

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
He rides a BMW. Say no more, nudge nudge. They have to have the expensive clothing. It is part of it.
I change my clothing as often as I change gears. All to suit the current conditions, and the length of the ride.

UK

· Registered
501 Posts
Atahmission's profile indicates that rides a Ducati. That's what his profile says.

I ride a Harley. I wear a FF and boots and gloves and a jacket. If it is a riding day I'll wear those skid-resistant, padded riding jeans. Also happy to wear regular jeans or pants.

I have ridden with a polo shirt and jeans, before. Also with an open-face helmet. But, those were rare exceptions.

All that said, the textile jacket breaths really well. The gloves are light and vented. The boots are waterproofed leather and very comfortable. Is this gear going to protect me in MotoGP? No! Is it going to prevent injury or discomfort if I wipe out on a rocky dirt road at 60mph on a 900 pound dual sport? No!

I don't do that stuff.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Your right about the wonderful feeling of riding without all the gear, its truly a great feeling. But, I too received serious road rash from a couple of crashes, once when I was young, and once about 20 years. That's all it took for me. Its something that I don't ever want to experience again, especially now that I'm older. You older guys know how soft your flesh gets when you age, hitting the asphalt at 45 or 50 mph without skin protection would be the equivalent to putting a marshmallow against a grinding wheel. Heat or not, I usually wear mid-weight 14.5 oz jeans, mesh jacket, gloves, boots and a full face helmet, most of the time with the shield in the up position for air. The mesh jacket might not be usable after a crash (it will most likely tear), but as long as it works on the initial crash, that's all I care about, I can always buy a new one. For me, its the only comfortable skin protection that I've found that's reasonably comfortable to use in hot humid climates.

Here's a close-up of one of my mesh jackets. You can see the fine mesh that allows the wind to penetrate thru the jacket. All the crucial areas are reinforced, especially where the protective inserts are, shoulders, elbows, back pad, and forearms. It may not breath very well in those padded areas, but it still breathes. Sometimes It will be so hot that I'll douse my t-shirt with a bottle of water, the wind blows thru the jacket when moving and it feels like air conditioning, but it only last maybe 30 minutes until your dry again.

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
I never ride whitout gear, but when it gets hotter I wear a mesh suit. And if it gets really hot, I wear a cool down vest underneath. In all of Europe a helmett is obliguatory, so that’s always on. But I have a summer helmett that’s not full face. I work in a hospital, seeing crashed bikers on occasion and road rash is not the way to go!

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
I never ride whitout gear, but when it gets hotter I wear a mesh suit. And if it gets really hot, I wear a cool down vest underneath. In all of Europe a helmett is obliguatory, so that’s always on. But I have a summer helmett that’s not full face. I work in a hospital, seeing crashed bikers on occasion and road rash is not the way to go!
Being a volunteer firefighter(too old now) I too have seen my share but when the temps hit 90º to 110º it's long sleeve T-shirt time. Of course those sweat suits are good in cooler climates but when you are this close to hell already, what the heck is one more indiscretion?:devil: Some park their bikes but to me it's just winter in reverse. I ride in both.

· Registered
4 Posts
Wrote a long reply and then the forum Saïd I was logged out and the message gone. Nice!

But the essence is: went down last year in the Dolomites and slid down the road. I was doing 35 mph and was very happy I was ATGATT. I had a rain suit on over the leathers, it was in spring, it was completely gone...Otherwise no damage to me. The brand new GSA was a different story though!

· Swamp Rat Rider
1,971 Posts
I agree with Vito I ride to enjoy .. At my age been facing death anyway for over a year through Pancreas Problems but been given a reprieve for now, so if Riding in Jeans T Shirt and Boots which is my minimal wear don't do shorts and sneakers .. Will enjoy doing so, we are hitting that 90 mark in North FL now and a splitting headache due to the excessive heat of heavy gear and helmet just in case .. What others do is fine with me, but at damn near 70 think can make my own decisions on how I wish to handle this ..

· Veteran Member
3,296 Posts
My take on things. Riding itself is a high risk gamble. So some try to increase their odds with ATGATT. But I accept the risk. I'm a SOTGSOTT type of guy. That's some of the gear some of the time. On long rides I'm always in a helmet and boots, and often in my leather jacket and gloves. On shorter rides I may or may not have the gear on. I know the risk. I accept the risk.

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
My take on things. Riding itself is a high risk gamble. So some try to increase their odds with ATGATT. But I accept the risk. I'm a SOTGSOTT type of guy. That's some of the gear some of the time. On long rides I'm always in a helmet and boots, and often in my leather jacket and gloves. On shorter rides I may or may not have the gear on. I know the risk. I accept the risk.
Giggle from me. I was running the some of the gear, some of the time thru my head the other day. It does not go much past 80 around here. But when I lived inland 100 plus was the norm. I would be SOTGSOTT when riding about town.
This actually happened. The Fuzz. Krusty, you can not ride a motorcycle in bare feet. Yes I can, no you can not, yes I can. Well it sets a bad example for the kids. I agree with that I said. The fuzz. BTW Krusty, what are you doing on the side walk? Er, you got me on that one, but it is an off road bike.
A misspent youth is a joy forever.

UK

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Indeed. :thumbsup:

Like Lurch and UK I'm a SOTGSOTT kind of guy. It would be impossible for me to be an ATGATT trooper. I don't even own all of the gear.
The gear I have now is a lot different than the gear I had in Hawaii. I rode a 68 Kawasaki 350. Faster than a Bonneville. 13.8 in the 1/4. About the same as a hot Camaro.

Most accidents on my Island happen within 10 miles of home. That is because it is 10 miles from one end to the other.
That kind of statistic is like saying most cooking mishaps, happen in the kitchen,

UK

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.