Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been away from riding for about twenty years, when I left Yamaha was still selling a 650cc street/trail bike. When I wanted a bike again around six years ago they only had 250cc as their biggest, I would have considered Yamaha seriously in my choices. Does anyone here know what or why? If I am correct weren't they the first Japanese company to revive the large thumper?

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Thumper

Honda started with an XR75 which was a great bike. That was in the 70s. Then they made an XR350. These were better dirt bikes than the CT70 and XL250.
A bit later they made an XR650. These were the first thumpers to my knowledge. Not sure when they made the 650 but think it was in the 80s. There might have been a couple of other models as well.
Much newer, I would look at the 650 Suzuki.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I remember was Yamaha making the first Japanese 500cc thumper in 1976 starting the big bore single cylinder thumper craze with the XT500/TT500. I wasn't saying four stroke single cylinder enduros didn't exist, sorry for the confusion. My question is why did they stop selling them here? As the KLR650 is and has been the best selling bike of that displacement for many years you would think Yamaha would at least want some of those sales like Honda and Suzuki. I did look at them all and probably would have given a Yamaha preference because of prior experience with the brand.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Yamaha thumper

I agree with you on this Rebeldog. I guess Yamaha has been concentrating on their street bikes. The Kawasaki 650 is popular around here. The Suzuki weighs less. Seat height is a problem for me on many of the dual purpose bikes. Problem is worse with heavier bikes.
For a bit of history. I rode a BSA Victor single. The front suspension was worse than awful. designed to break thumbs.
I rode a 450 Kawasaki 2 stroke. Lots of power, handled nice.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts