Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Nightfly
3,720 Posts
Not a good try junkbonds. When you try and make light of someone's reading ability you need to check your writing ability. Like everyone else, you like to take things out of context and have words say what you want others to believe was said. Nah, not falling for it db.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
I think comparing 1600cc with 1000cc ( the most common size for most sport bikes ) has problems at best.
My V twin SV1000S Suzuki is quicker than the BMW. At 410 pounds dry, it is also a much easier bike to handle. But they are two different bikes, designed for different jobs. I would not ride the big BMW, it is too heavy. I much prefer my Triumph triple for cruising. As for getting with the times, I am trying to stay conversant with all the modern stuff, and generally find I am one of the few reading about the latest bikes. A lot of the modern crap on bikes, I do not want. I am seriously not interested in anything over 500 pounds.

Too, the BMW engine sits lower and slanted more forward than the CBX, and has the benefit of a fairing that shields the engine. Probably copied my Triumph. This takes away some of the issues I mentioned with the CBX. The engine protrusions each side have also been trimmed.

Obviously today's youth with limited experience can have difficulty deciding on a bike. The best of the year are all listed in the latest Cycle World. Have you read it?

UK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Primaris did say that he was looking for a project bike, but as he said when he returned and restated his inquiry, his original question was more along the lines of "Why do I see so many V-twins?", and NOT "Which engine is best?"

What he did NOT say was what he wanted his project to accomplish.

"Best" and "Worst" are subjective terms, even when accompanied by a statement of desired objectives. The "best" for some purposes might be a bicycle, a public bus, or a pair of shoes.

QUOTE="walkman, post: 2592053, member: 183130"]
Yamaha didn't make the V Max to penetrant the US market, but to dominate it, and it did for V twin power.
The V-Max has a 4 cylinder engine, and so nothing discussed as pertaining to the "american style V-Twin" applies to it. Perhaps you want to start a thread about four cylinder and/or six cylinder engines, where we can discuss the relative merits of your preferred machines, including perhaps, how Honda and Yamaha have used them to dominate the US market?
[/QUOTE]Yes I stand corrected, it is a V 4, knowing it will and does make any v twin whimper home,@ 1200cc.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think the handling characteristic different engine configurations present is really interesting. I’m MotoGP you see fantastic power, great late breaking stability, and good corner exit speed inherent to the Ducati and Honda bikes which utilize a V4 engine with its external flywheel, which isn’t really a possibility in an i4 engine due to how wide it’d be. This comes at a sacrifice to corner speed, and it’s amazing the impact the different engine configurations have on dictating a bikes strengths and weaknesses. I like the torquiness of a V or L shaped engine (I have an 11 degree Ducati currently) and am executed to see how my new bike with its V4 configuration differs, given its max torque is reached much higher in the RPM range. Practically speaking, the twin is better suited to public roads, but the high RPM the 4 cylinder engine can utilize makes it such a monster, but still offer a narrower profile, which I’m a fan of. I’m pretty tall, but I still like my bikes nice and narrow around the gas tank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
V-Twins not the most efficient. That would be inline twins.
V - Twins do not produce the most power. That would be inline twins, triples and fours.
V - Twins are not the best balanced. That would be boxer motors.

You will MOSTLY see V- Twins on Cruisers, and nearly every HD for a few reasons.

HD - Iconic, they sell.
Cruisers, including HD - V Twins are the optimal design for Cruisers. They have a lot of torque, taking off from a stop. And a wide power band. They reach peak torque and horsepower over a wider range. Most V Twins will reach peak horsepower at or near redline. They make the most power when "Cruising".

HD uses the V Twin on Tourers even though the V Twin is not the optimal design for Touring. Best design for touring is the flat engine. V - Twins are subject to vibration and a couple of other non touring like design "features". But those are iconic motors and no way would Harley copy Honda or some other brand and lose most of their customers. One of the draws to HD purists is that vibration. The Japanese V-Twins do the same thing.

You see a lot of V Twins because HD is popular and Cruisers are extremely popular.

V Twins can also be tuned for very high performance. Several brands use the V Twin for that reason.

The V Twin is not the best design in any particular area except for torque and their wide powerband.

And I almost forgot, center of gravity. Cruisers sit low and so do plenty of HD's that are not Cruisers. V Twins have a very low center of gravity. That is another optimal point for Cruisers and HD in general.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts