Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been riding bikes for just over a year now and have just upgraded from a Mash dirt track 125 to a brand new Husqvarna svartpilen 125 until I am able to take my A2.

My reason for this post is that I am fairly underwhelmed with the performance of the husqvarna due to the fact that I haven't managed to get it to go faster than 52mph. This is made even more apparent with the fact that my previous mash which had 10hp would fairly easily be able to do 60mph.

Obviously, it is a 125cc with 15hp, so I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

However, having looked online and at reviews, most people seem to at least be able to get over 70mph without too much problem. (I am a fairly light rider as well - 70kg)

I am also aware that the svarpilen uses the same engine as the ktm duke 125, which is known to be "fast" for a 125, with it topping out at just over 70mph.

I was just curious whether the reason for the lacklustre speed was because the bike is new and hasn't been run in yet, or whether an aftermarket exhaust such as an Akrapovic or Leo Vince might fix the problem.

To be clear, I know it is only a 125 so please don't tell me it's not made to go fast, I am fully aware of that. I just wasn't expecting it to be quite as bad as it is.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
However, having looked online and at reviews, most people seem to at least be able to get over 70mph without too >much problem. (I am a fairly light rider as well - 70kg)
There's a part of your problem -- you're accepting online brags as fact. My 16-year-old neighbor was super-excited to tell me how his new Chinese 250 could easily top 100 mph -- until I pointed out the difference between mph and kph...

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I was just curious whether the reason for the lacklustre speed was because the bike is new and hasn't been run in yet, or whether an aftermarket exhaust such as an Akrapovic or Leo Vince might fix the problem.
No to the performance issue being related to break-in,
and no, you should absolutely not need to modify a new motorcycle to make it perform up to the new stock motorcycle performance specification.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, did you get any further with the top speed?, I currently have the same model and I can get 55mph on a good flat road.

I’ve looked at a fly screen to see if that would help but like you I’m new to motorbikes as well.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Tuck into position and become more aerodynamic with the machine, its always good for another 5 mph.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
865 Posts
You need to watch a youtube channel called gentry and sons. He will claim his cars and trucks have 1000 hp constantly when most of them are just junk. He was hauling a boat going to a bass pro wrapped in plastic and claimed it to be a million dollar load. As said what people say you just need to take it for who is saying it and judge for yourself.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hello, did you get any further with the top speed?, I currently have the same model and I can get 55mph on a good flat road.

I’ve looked at a fly screen to see if that would help but like you I’m new to motorbikes as well.
The flyscreen would technically slow your motorcycle down even more.

The answer may be what Zebraranger suggested. Leaning forward and going into a full tuck may make the difference between 50 and 70. Your torso is a huge air brake. Make your profile small and you'll speed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts