1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You start asking dumb questions?

So my first question is:

How do you drain the oil on an Evo?

My owner's manual and service manual both say that there is a drain plug or drain hose on the bottom of the tank and no oil is drained out of the engine since it is a dry sump.

The reason I ask is because when I check the oil at temp (200+-) it is at the top of the fill tube. So I know that it has too much oil in in. Even cold it is above the low oil line. Checked with the bike sitting level as it came with a stand.

Looking under the tank I see a couple of lines running down to the engine, I know these aren't the right lines because the have the factory style pinch clamps on them. I did find another line running out of the back of the tank that runs down near the swing arm and it looks like it is attached to the frame with a standard hose clamp. I am assuming this is the drain line.

I think I am just going to run down to the dollar store and get a basting bulb and pull some oil out that way. I was planning on taking it down to the low line on the dip stick cold. Is this a good place to start?

Sorry I got a little long winded.

·
American Legion Rider
23,700 Posts
Been too many years since I did mine. Seems like I drained it with the filer though. But the filter on mine was low and nearly under the engine if I remember right. You know what they say, buy a service manual. Even if you did that, 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't be clear until you did it once. I'm sure Eye will have the answer for you. Once he quiets for the day. Good luck though.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I lust let the dealer do it...and go to the credit union and get money....to pay any go to the biker bar...lolol

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If you just want to drain off some excess oil use the baster bulb. Or a Vacular if you have one handy. It's easier then using the drain hose, which is the one that comes off the back of the tank and ends on the right side of the bike just in front of the rear tire. That one is kind of low and at you age you have to be careful not throw out your back or hurt your knees or something.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Welcome to the world of Harley, just do as the manual says: get engine up to operating temperature, check oil level on sidestand on level ground. That is what my manual says to do, I used to check it cold when it was showing at the bottom line on the dipstick. So I would add a quart, that was WRONG as then it would be overfilled and would start coming out of the breather lines on the top of the cylinder heads. Don't add any until it gets down to the lower mark when at operating temp. Also mine doesn't have a drain plug on the engine either, only the rubber hose with a plug from the oil tank.

·
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry it took so long getting back to you. I got down on my hands and knees to look at the drain hose and it took me this long to get back up off the ground.

Eye - Still looks like the drain hose is attached to something at the bottom. It is zip tied to the rail so I will have to cut it loose and see if it moves. Oil cold (75°) it is less than a half inch from the top of the plug. Hot it is at the lip of the tank. Actually drips over the side.

Dog - My owner's manual and service manual both say check it at operating temp, but flat and level.

Now to take some Advil for this lower back pain. :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
For your bike it's supposed to have a metal plug in the lower end of the hose held in by a hose clamp. Remove the clamp, pull out the plug, and you can wiggle the hose around to make it very convenient to aim the oil stream towards your catch container. The PO might have zip tied the line to the frame to keep it in one place when riding, but you don't really need to do that. Just tuck it back in there out of the way.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I'm so temped to make the obvious and anachronistic joke "how do you drain the oil? Don't worry, it'll come out on its own"

But no, just congrats.

·
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Eye and Rob

G

·
thats what mine had, there was a hose secured to the right rear frame with a clip that had a plug in it with a hose clamp holding it.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
My Sporty has the hose drain like your bike. Yes, as Eye said there should be a hose just in front of the rear tire with a plug and clamp on the end of it. Loosen or remove the clamp (mine is a worm type hose clamp) and pull the plug to drain. It is nice because you can aim the oil where you want, to some extent. Though I still like the standard automotive style drain bolt in the oil pan that my Ultra has.

BUT, if you're just trying to lower an overfull tank, I don't recommend this. Trying to reinsert the plug into the hose while it is actively draining would be very messy and a pain in the ass. I like your idea to just suction a bit out from the tank up top instead. Just don't use your old lady's baster from the kitchen drawer. Or at least clean it very well afterward if you do. :D

Either that or use a very clean catch pan, let it all drain, then put the right amount of oil back in. Or, if you're not sure about the last change, just go ahead and change the oil and filter and be done with it. And, by the way, I have found on the Sporty that adding the factory listed capacity of oil back into the tank does overfill the tank. I assume this is because some oil stays in the engine and lines when I drain it. I would stop adding oil 1/2 quart short, and add slowly while checking after that.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Good question. After thinking about it for a bit, only thing I can come up with is "Because Harleys are different".
I want one but at the same time I'm afraid of buying something I know so little about.

·
8,613 Posts
YouTube video's will show you how to do things on just about any bike or you can 'GOOGLE' almost any subject and get answers that way:smile_big:

Harley's are very easy to service:grin:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts