Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,509 Posts
Well I did it again tonight! I fell down for my 8th time now!!! I’ve only been riding for maybe 6 months or so and have fallen down 8 times now and I can’t figure out why I keep falling? I feel like I’m a good rider I really do but for some reason I keep falling down.! Tonight I was driving around a gas station store and a car came around the other side kinda fast so I guess I pulled the front break while making the turn and like always I was on the ground! I must have the best luck ever because I have never been seriously injured actually in all but one of my falls I’ve jumped back up and rode off with out a scratch on my body! I’m just confused on why I keep falling down? If anyone has any ideas on why I’d love to hear them. Thanks in advance!
Too much motorcycle, not enough riding skills.

Get a small dirt bike and practice off road lots, you'll learn fast and get way better at crashing, guaranteed.

· Registered
4,509 Posts
Oh and feet forward floorboards instead of foot pegs (n) this is the kind of thing that has people using only the rear brake 90% of the time, stupid idea on any motorcycle, deadly idea on one you are trying to learn to ride on. It's why manufacturers sometimes resort to crazy stuff like linked front and rear brakes on huge bikes, they are trying to make up for an inherent rider inability to operate the rear brake and front brake in unison at all times. The footpegs and the location of the rear brake control on a motorcycle is possibly the most vital part of the motorcycles controls, if you can't ride the pegs and operate both brakes simultaneously you can't 100% control the motorcycle. Forward mounted floorboards on a 600+ pound motorcycle will have you waddling around attempting to use your feet to duck paddle, or riding the saddle and balancing through your butt cheeks until you stop and then it's time to panic drop the landing gear. In a perfect world you will be putting only your left foot down and keeping the right foot on the brake control. ... if you are crashing from too much front brake now, you're putting down both feet and you have lost control of the rear brake. (y) Learn to keep that right foot in control of the rear brake more and you will crash less.

· Registered
4,509 Posts
But don't give up because nobody is born a motorcycle rider it's an acquired skill, you have just not been riding the right motorcycles for one and you haven't had a mentor. Lessons are good, good minders or trainers can tell you what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. Formation following an experienced rider is good too because they can set the pace appropriate to the conditions. :) Just keep riding 🐟

· Registered
4,509 Posts
The only thing they can ticket you for in the Highway traffic act is failure to stop, if you stopped you stopped, bum charges need to be challenged, I think I would have asked the officer if he preferred day court or night court, that's what they normally ask isn't it?

· Registered
4,509 Posts
Feet out for balance in slow ride/turn situations. I have been riding for 30 years on cruisers. I got a sport touring bike recently and dropped it 3 times in 3 different parking lots. Make a V with your feet/legs out to keep balance. After a while you'll do much much better. No shame. Enjoy riding!
That's gotta be the most ridiculous advice I've ever read " Make a V with your feet/legs out to keep balance" :LOL: R U serious!

Why not just permanently install outrigger wheels, no shame in that either

· Registered
4,509 Posts
Actually no, test it out, a gyro likes to stay where it is, my BMW is no different then all the rest, harder to stationary balance if an engine is not running.

If I don't crash once in a while I figure I must not be trying hard enough stuff.

· Registered
4,509 Posts
I took the skills course a couple months back and the rule about not grabbing your front brake was proven again and again by this kid in the course - let’s call him Eddie - who bailed over and over doing just that.

We would come to a slow speed stop, he’d have his bars turned just a teeeeeeny bit, grab the front brake and smack! hit the ground. Again and again.

The instructor told us all that GRAB stood for Get Ready to Abandon Bike, and not to do it.

I swear I haven’t touched the front brake in a parking lot since, and I have yet to fall off!
And how many fingers did the instructor want you to use to apply the hydraulic brakes, All of them? I bet they did.
... and did they teach you to cover your brake with that one brake finger? I bet they did not.

Some motorcycles have a one finger front brake like a trigger and some have mushy leather like binders that slow you down a little, ymmv. They teach new riders to grab a whole fist full of front brake but by the time you become a skilled rider, you won't be doing that any more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts