Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year, usually around this time, my throttle cable on my bobber (84 XV1000) breaks. Sometimes it happens twice a year. It always breaks in the same spot, right at the throttle grip. Nothing is binding or twisting or too loose or too tight. The throttle always functions smoothly until it just snaps. And like this morning, it always breaks in the most inconvenient locations, too! What could be causing 1-2 cable breakages a year? I have ape hangers, but they're only 12" and I always buy longer than stock cables to compensate for them.

-A smart person would stock up on them, but...

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
They are likely binding/bending too far at the point of breakage. Are they snapping real close to the end connectors? Some motorcycles use a gently bent metal tube near the entry point to the throttle sleeve to lessen the angle.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Check all of your grounds, a weak ground can greatly shorten the life of your cables.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are likely binding/bending too far at the point of breakage. Are they snapping real close to the end connectors? Some motorcycles use a gently bent metal tube near the entry point to the throttle sleeve to lessen the angle.
Yeah, that's right where they're snapping. I guess I'll see if I can find one with the metal tube.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Check all of your grounds, a weak ground can greatly shorten the life of your cables.
Darn! Good idea. Your momma didn't raise no dummy did she!?!:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts