Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
I have been to the Rainier brewery. There were a sponsor at the Seattle track during the first year.
Then we switched to ( checking my trophy mug ) Olympia.
I quit riding for a while when I got married, and spent more time with boats, which is what I was selling at the time.
Separated, and later divorced, being a young man with things to do, I did the logical thing. I bought another bike, and then another one, and another, until I ran out of room. Back when I was selling bikes, and racing, I usually had about five or more bikes. Two for the track, two for the dirt, one for around town, and one for the highway. Now I separate them by winter or summer use, around town or freeway, one up or two up, and one to pull the sidecar. And one small dirt bike, the 65 Trail 90 Honda. UK

·
Ace Tuner
2,522 Posts
I swore off motorcycles, and went back to Hot Rod cars, after I "looped" my Kawasaki H2 750 Triple at about 90 MPH.
That next round of fast cars only lasted about a year because it got so that the new pump gas we had to use just wouldn't work in those old high compression car engines. Then we had the "gas shortage" and waiting in line to buy gas pushed me right back to motorcycles.
I waited in line to buy a new KZ650 and I haven't been without at least one bike since. My dad tried to talk me out of the KZ saying he was afraid I'd start racing it and get hurt. I promised him I would not race it and I never did. I think it was less than two years later that I bought, and built, my first roadracer, an RD350. That bike still sets in the corner of the shop.
Dad was right about me going racing, just not with the KZ.
I kept my promise, technically.... Looking back on it, kinda feel bad about that.

S F

Reactions: Stablefull

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well lemme know when you wanna ride there, I am game to going. I live really close to SR7

·
Registered
434 Posts
SR7...why is that familiar? Mineral Lake?
It’s Pacific Avenue that goes from the Tacoma Waterfront all the way to Mt. Rainier. It ends at the gate to the park.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seems that many of us took a bit of a hiatus from riding at some point and got back into it later. The two most common stories I hear are accidents and having kids. What is your story?

I started riding on the street at about 21. I had bought a little Honda CM450 that was actually a perfect starter bike, but it had a few problems and wasn't cool enough for me, so I sold it to a friend and bought a 1985 Honda Sabre. Now I had more power than brains. I rode it tentatively throughout an entire winter, and on the first sunny day that spring a car shot out and never saw me. I jumped off the bike and watched as his Honda Accord smeared it all over 220th st. Scared the holy living **** out of me and I swore off riding. I did ride some in the dirt and had a quad for a while, but never rode on the street for the next 21 years.

I picked it up again and had some fun on a 2004 Suzuki SV650, then bought my dream bike, a 1987 Yamaha FJ1200. I loved it so. I had it 2 weeks and wrecked it on a mountainside, trying to ride someone else's ride. I wound up face down at the edge of a cliff staring out at the biggest Ponderosa pine I had ever seen; I then looked back down the road and saw a Subaru station wagon coming up the hill. Since hitting either of those were my alternatives, I guess I didn't do too bad. I wasted my shoulder and the surgeon called it "major league damage." I swore off riding again.

2 years later they took my parking privileges away at the hospital where I worked, and my choice was to either ride a bike or park off campus. My late wife, Trina, was terminally ill and I wasn't willing to be stranded at work with the car off campus, so I got back on the horse. I bought a 2006 Triumph Scrambler and fell in love all over again. This year I have put bout 3,000 miles under my butt, the most in any single year in my life, and am having more fun than ever.
i started riding when a new next door neighbor showed up with a Suzuki T500 that hadn’t run in years. Told him I was an aircraft mechanic and could get it running, he wasn’t interested and sold it to me for the exorbitant sum of $25. Cleaned out the carbs, changed plugs and points, added fresh gas and filled two stroke oil tank full and tada!
It ran! I rode it for two years, sold it to a friend who ran it out of oil and seized it at freeway speeds.
Next bike was ‘76 Harley. Never pay for parts and services from a hole in the wall bike shop with personal check, now they know where you live, Yup, Stolen outta my garage 1 month later.
Next bike ‘80 Harley FLH, sold 4 years later.
1976 CB750F, DIY’d to death by previous owner to the point it wouldn’t start. Learned about 4 into 1 pipes, carb re-jetting, air filter box matching, etc. That Honda taught me a lot, and had a blast doing it.
Didn’t ride for 7 years waiting to afford a new Harley, never happened.
Settled for a Suzuki GS1000, great bike, rode it everywhere (seat not good for 1 day rides over 400 miles). Sold to a friend, he’s still got it.
1995 Ducati 900 SS SP, got it in ‘97. Great Bike, still have it, and YES Ducati was still making mechanics out of riders in model year 1995!
Got a 2002 Honda 1800VTX in 2007, Hard Krome Pipes, Power Commander USB III, customized seat, great bike. Still have it. Ride it every week. Between the bike, Power Commander, and the guys over at Bareass Choppers taught me fuel injection basics. I downloaded a Power Commander USB III map from BA Choppers and WOW what a difference!
5 months to retirement, and I start putting together a 1963 Duoglide FLH, “95% complete (we’ll see about that).

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I did quit because my parents think its dangerous.

I was dragged back because I started feeling depressed after I quit.
It is dangerous.

I would be depressed too if I lived in a place where I had no freedom and I couldn't even ride a motorcycle.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,401 Posts
I never quit, I just wasn't as active after by boys were born. So often I had to take them to, or pick them up from daycare/school, I had to use my truck.

I'd get a weekend ride in every once in awhile.

It picked up a little once they were in highschool and driving, then after they moved out, it's wide open! Well, except for the Mrs time. Unfortunately she doesn't get along well on motorcycle rides, much less very long sitting in a car.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
134 Posts
Started at 15, and rode all the way through college and into my first job after graduating.... that lasted about 3 months and I got a letter - "Greetings from the President. Your friends and neighbors have selected you for the honor of serving in the armed forces....." Sold my Bonneville. After an all-expense paid vacation to that Southeast Asia vacation paradise, I went back to school for a Masters degree..... then came a wife, a house, and kids. Finally got back on two wheels a few years later, and even took up AMA racing - CAFE 400. I sure missed it for that 8 year stretch, and couldn't wait to swing a leg over again. Been retired for 12 years now, put on about 200,000 miles in that time.

·
American Legion Rider
21,868 Posts
I stopped for about 5 years after my wife got nailed by a left hand turner. Sold mine for what I thought was being empathetic for her and what happened. But maybe it was just sympathy. Which ever it was it didn't work. I became extremely depressed which began to affect our marriage. Even went to a marriage councilor and she, yes it was a female, somehow figured out it was lack of riding I was holding inside and the regret was turning into anger which I was trying to also hold inside. So I was basically starting to blow. She's the one that suggested I start riding again. So I did and suddenly I felt free again and everything started being rosy again. So I rode by myself for a couple years until I crashes. Probably somewhat cause by still being rusty as I certainly wasn't riding as often as before. But the very day I got released from physical therapy I was looking at and starting a bike a dealer. Didn't get that one but got the next one and been riding stead ever since. That even got my wife back to riding when one day I said I wanted to go look at a Spyder. She got kinda excited about so suggested we get it for those times I didn't want to hold just two wheels up. We got, I rode it home and that was the last time I rode it. She started riding again too. Only her time off was around 20 years.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I stopped for about 5 years after my wife got nailed by a left hand turner. Sold mine for what I thought was being empathetic for her and what happened. But maybe it was just sympathy. Which ever it was it didn't work. I became extremely depressed which began to affect our marriage. Even went to a marriage councilor and she, yes it was a female, somehow figured out it was lack of riding I was holding inside and the regret was turning into anger which I was trying to also hold inside. So I was basically starting to blow. She's the one that suggested I start riding again. So I did and suddenly I felt free again and everything started being rosy again. So I rode by myself for a couple years until I crashes. Probably somewhat cause by still being rusty as I certainly wasn't riding as often as before. But the very day I got released from physical therapy I was looking at and starting a bike a dealer. Didn't get that one but got the next one and been riding stead ever since. That even got my wife back to riding when one day I said I wanted to go look at a Spyder. She got kinda excited about so suggested we get it for those times I didn't want to hold just two wheels up. We got, I rode it home and that was the last time I rode it. She started riding again too. Only her time off was around 20 years.
I like that story Larry...it has a happy continuing :)

·
On The Road Again!
3,419 Posts
I haven't been without a bike since I started riding in 1968.
I had a couple of periods where I didn't ride much, if at all.
But they were brief. I've ridden pretty much continuously for
52 years and over 300,000 miles. My longest periods without
riding are usually through the winter months. After being
"wintered" for three or four months, I can't wait to hit the road
again in the spring.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts