Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that many of us took a bit of a hiatus from riding at some point and got back into it later. The two most common stories I hear are accidents and having kids. What is your story?

I started riding on the street at about 21. I had bought a little Honda CM450 that was actually a perfect starter bike, but it had a few problems and wasn't cool enough for me, so I sold it to a friend and bought a 1985 Honda Sabre. Now I had more power than brains. I rode it tentatively throughout an entire winter, and on the first sunny day that spring a car shot out and never saw me. I jumped off the bike and watched as his Honda Accord smeared it all over 220th st. Scared the holy living **** out of me and I swore off riding. I did ride some in the dirt and had a quad for a while, but never rode on the street for the next 21 years.

I picked it up again and had some fun on a 2004 Suzuki SV650, then bought my dream bike, a 1987 Yamaha FJ1200. I loved it so. I had it 2 weeks and wrecked it on a mountainside, trying to ride someone else's ride. I wound up face down at the edge of a cliff staring out at the biggest Ponderosa pine I had ever seen; I then looked back down the road and saw a Subaru station wagon coming up the hill. Since hitting either of those were my alternatives, I guess I didn't do too bad. I wasted my shoulder and the surgeon called it "major league damage." I swore off riding again.

2 years later they took my parking privileges away at the hospital where I worked, and my choice was to either ride a bike or park off campus. My late wife, Trina, was terminally ill and I wasn't willing to be stranded at work with the car off campus, so I got back on the horse. I bought a 2006 Triumph Scrambler and fell in love all over again. This year I have put bout 3,000 miles under my butt, the most in any single year in my life, and am having more fun than ever.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife... I had a GPZ 750 in the mid 80's while in high school then a Ninja 750 in my early university years. I was in an accident and it was written off. I had no money during the school years so it wasn't replaced. After school was done kids, marriage, more kids, still no bike. I always wanted another but never suggested it. Then one year by BIL and SIL got a bike. We suggested that my wife go for a little ride with him. After that, she was hooked. We had a beautiful Boulevard M90 within a year. We loved that bike but unfortunately a couple of years later it was written off in a bad accident. While I spent the next two and a half weeks in the hospital and the next 2 months off of work I had told myself I was done with bikes. Eventually, after dealing with the insurance company over the coverage for the bike I started to consider what I was missing. We eventually bought a new M109R which had always been my dream bike. I'm still pretty sore at times and the M109R is not an ideal bike for comfort but it was great to ride again. I don't how long we will own the bike or how long we will be able to ride but once its "in your blood" its something that you really miss when you can't do it.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
301 Posts
I stopped due to my work changes, and financial status, and marriage and kids. I wasn't a big street rider. I had mostly dirt bikes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
During my late 20's I had a couple of different bikes and rode everywhere, every day. One day I had a minor crash -- only superficial damage to me and the bike, but it got me to thinking. I had two young kids, and decided I needed to up the odds that they'd grow up with a dad, so I sold the wheels without regrets.

Fast forward 30-some years, and I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. Thank God, removal of one kidney took care of that problem, but the lesson that life is short was hammered home, along with the fact that I wanted to enjoy whatever time I may have. Only one answer -- motorcycle ! Four years later, I have three bikes and ride every day, everywhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like most, I started out riding dirt bikes. I lived in Arizona when I turned old enough to drive, and had a street bike. A few years later, I moved back home to New Jersey, where the riding isn't the best. I completely lost interest in riding on the street. I still dabbled with dirt bikes on and off.

I got back into it when a friend asked me to help him get his bike to the shop to have some work done. We loaded it on my pickup and took it to the shop. I browsed the showroom floor and decided a 10-year layoff was enough, so I picked up a new bike. Been at it this time for over 20 years and don't plan on stopping. Jersey still isn't the best riding but there are some decent places to ride.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Wife and kids made me not start riding when I was young, but at 42 I decided to wait no longer. Riding became a major part of my life (and still is), but after a minor accident in 2000 I went for a few years without riding. The accident was relatively minor, but some broken ribs led to a collapsed lung. The treatment for that led to a lung infection which almost killed me. To take care of that I had major lung surgery and 31 days in intensive care. It took me over two years before I was physically even capable of getting on a bike, and another almost two years before I decided to get back on two wheels. That was about 15 years ago and riding again has been a big part of who I am, more than even what I do. At 77 I ride almost every day, mostly on my Goldwing, sometimes just a short ride on my 150cc scooter (an incredibly fun little thing to ride around town and on roads where the max of 65 is enough to stay safe). I really cannot imagine my life without riding. During those couple of years between when I was able to ride again and before I bought a new bike, I tried several things to see if they could help fill my time and replace the fun of riding. I tried tennis, golf and bicycle riding. I still ride my bicycle once in awhile, but the tennis and golf just didn't do anything for me. Only when I got back to riding a motorcycle did I feel that I was alive again.

Just this past weekend I went on a group ride with the local Goldwing club. There were four motorcycles, three trikes and one Miata convertible. All of the trike riders, as well as the Miata driver, were former motorcyclists who switched to their new rides because they felt that handling a two wheeler was just too much for them to do safely. At 77 I know that I will not be able to comfortably handle my 900+ pound Goldwing forever, but I cannot imagine going down the trike path (I tried one once, and hated it) or giving up riding entirely and getting a convertible as a substitute. I could see going back to a smaller, lighter bike, or possibly a mega scooter like the 650cc Suzuki Burgman Executive. But I fervently hope that I will be able to stay riding two wheelers until my time on this earth ends.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Another guy who started out on dirt bikes, had a TM 125, then made the mistake of buying a Yamaha RD350 as my commuter in Long Beach, California. Had several crashes around the age of 18 and gave up motorcycling. 17 years later, with college out of the way and a career established, I bought a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (like the one below, same color scheme). Loved that bike! That was in 1993 and I haven't taken a break from motorcycles since then.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Never intended to stop -- rode since before I had a driver's license, but hey stuff happens... However tendons knitted, bones healed and balance unexpectedly came back and got a C10 Connie; really really started enjoying riding again, traded for the C14 and enjoy the heck out of it -- no commuting, pure recreational riding.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
301 Posts
Waht got me back. I've always wanted to be back and get a big cruiser. For a long long time it was always an impossibility. Alot changed and last year it became possible. I'm enjoying it and hopefully I'll always have a bike of some kind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All during a weeklong 100 mi round trip work commute in the winter while my car was in the shop:
1. dropped the bike in wet grass, sore knee.
2. lady pulls out in front of me, narrow miss.
3. dumbass changes lanes into me, narrow miss #2.
4. Tire comes off 18 wheeler in front of me, narrow miss #3.
5. Saturday comes, Im getting car out of shop, 80 yr old guy on Goldwing makes offer on my little 500- sold!

Then 20+ yrs of marriage to woman terrified of motorcycles.
Then retirement-the bug bit again, gotta enjoy life while you can.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I started riding at around 7 or 8 on my sister's 1980 Honda XR80. She was allowed to ride that bike on the streets to go see our cousin, but I had to stay in sight of the house on it. I eventually out grew it and my mom would not let me get a bigger bike. I was stuck riding these POS bikes that my friend would buy, but hell it was still a bike and still riding. Him and I would race around in the woods behind his house and I got pretty good. I could never talk about it to my Mom or else I was in huge trouble. Dad didn't much care, he just said be careful and don't let your mom find out. At 16 my 2 wheeled adventures stopped as I found the joy of classic cars. I got a 1966 Mustang 6cyl for my birthday. It was all I could talk about and I became obsessed. I would still visit my buddy and we would still go riding in the dirt but I was not looking any more for a bike of my own. Also at this time Kenny had bought a couple of nicer newer bikes and riding was much better.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and my dad buys a 2000 Harley Heritage. Absolutely beautiful bike, it was a final gift from his dad to him before grandpa passed away. (all the brothers got one actually). Dad let me ride that around a little bit and I was hooked! I wanted to get on the street at that point. Problem was I didn't make enough money to buy my own ride, and with a recent divorce and all that I was pretty strapped for cash.

I join the Navy in 2001, I should now be able to buy a bike, but I had to get command permission first... GRRRR... and was denied, that is a long story for another time. I would help my shipmates with their bikes and as payment for my work I would ask to ride it around the base for a bit. This got my butt on my first sport bike, a GSXR600. I was hooked on sport bikes now too! I ended up not getting any bike of my own until I got laid off of my job, but picked up the same position in another hospital that changed my 10 mile commute to a 100 mile commute. My truck was too expensive and I needed a bike that would cost less over all. So I got a CBR250R, 70MPG and cheap. After I got my 10 miles commute job back I sold the CBR so I could get a bigger bike. I went looking for another sport bike but found another bike that caught my eye and that was a CTX700. I eventually sold that to buy a Harley and now I have a 2004 Dyna Wide Glide. I also still play in the dirt and have a TTr230 for that.

Reactions: Stablefull

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another guy who started out on dirt bikes, had a TM 125, then made the mistake of buying a Yamaha RD350 as my commuter in Long Beach, California. Had several crashes around the age of 18 and gave up motorcycling. 17 years later, with college out of the way and a career established, I bought a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (like the one below, same color scheme). Loved that bike! That was in 1993 and I haven't taken a break from motorcycles since then.

View attachment 63648
Mine was the V40 version of the Sabre

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started riding at around 7 or 8 on my sister's 1980 Honda XR80. She was allowed to ride that bike on the streets to go see our cousin, but I had to stay in sight of the house on it. I eventually out grew it and my mom would not let me get a bigger bike. I was stuck riding these POS bikes that my friend would buy, but hell it was still a bike and still riding. Him and I would race around in the woods behind his house and I got pretty good. I could never talk about it to my Mom or else I was in huge trouble. Dad didn't much care, he just said be careful and don't let your mom find out. At 16 my 2 wheeled adventures stopped as I found the joy of classic cars. I got a 1966 Mustang 6cyl for my birthday. It was all I could talk about and I became obsessed. I would still visit my buddy and we would still go riding in the dirt but I was not looking any more for a bike of my own. Also at this time Kenny had bought a couple of nicer newer bikes and riding was much better.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and my dad buys a 2000 Harley Heritage. Absolutely beautiful bike, it was a final gift from his dad to him before grandpa passed away. (all the brothers got one actually). Dad let me ride that around a little bit and I was hooked! I wanted to get on the street at that point. Problem was I didn't make enough money to buy my own ride, and with a recent divorce and all that I was pretty strapped for cash.

I join the Navy in 2001, I should now be able to buy a bike, but I had to get command permission first... GRRRR... and was denied, that is a long story for another time. I would help my shipmates with their bikes and as payment for my work I would ask to ride it around the base for a bit. This got my butt on my first sport bike, a GSXR600. I was hooked on sport bikes now too! I ended up not getting any bike of my own until I got laid off of my job, but picked up the same position in another hospital that changed my 10 mile commute to a 100 mile commute. My truck was too expensive and I needed a bike that would cost less over all. So I got a CBR250R, 70MPG and cheap. After I got my 10 miles commute job back I sold the CBR so I could get a bigger bike. I went looking for another sport bike but found another bike that caught my eye and that was a CTX700. I eventually sold that to buy a Harley and now I have a 2004 Dyna Wide Glide. I also still play in the dirt and have a TTr230 for that.
Don't you live in the Tacoma area? We should get together and go for a ride before the weather turns.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had been riding since age 15, now 74. A few years back my lower back got so bad from an injury I suffered in 1966 in the Army that I had to quit riding as my lower back got so painful it just could not take the shock of normal riding.
I had to have surgery to fuse my lower back and when I finally recovered from that I had yet another of a total of 5 heart attacks I have had and 3 say bypass surgery. They also implanted a combination pacemaker and defibrillator in my chest. It took some time for things to heal up and my heart to gain in efficiency and for me to regain strength to again feel safe to ride.
Don't take long rides anymore but I live in an area that is pretty to ride in locally in the AZ mountains and after owning some 27 bikes over the years I just cannot seem to get off of them.
Now on a Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Just my style at this age.

·
On The Road Again!
3,405 Posts
Like most, I started out riding dirt bikes. I lived in Arizona when I turned old enough to drive, and had a street bike. A few years later, I moved back home to New Jersey, where the riding isn't the best. I completely lost interest in riding on the street. I still dabbled with dirt bikes on and off.

I got back into it when a friend asked me to help him get his bike to the shop to have some work done. We loaded it on my pickup and took it to the shop. I browsed the showroom floor and decided a 10-year layoff was enough, so I picked up a new bike. Been at it this time for over 20 years and don't plan on stopping. Jersey still isn't the best riding but there are some decent places to ride.
Where in Jersey are you?
I'm up near Lake Hopatcong.
If you think Jersey doesn't have good riding, you haven't ridden
up here in the northwest corner of the state.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't you live in the Tacoma area? We should get together and go for a ride before the weather turns.
That can work. I have not been able to get out and just ride much this summer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where in Jersey are you?
I'm up near Lake Hopatcong.
If you think Jersey doesn't have good riding, you haven't ridden
up here in the northwest corner of the state.
I am in the mythical "Central Jersey," right by Fort Dix. Too much traffic in most parts, but I know there are decent places to ride in Jersey. The northwest is good and the Pine Barrens where I live are OK. I just love the southwest US and all the open space. Makes for really great riding. Oh, and there is a lot less rain there!!

·
On The Road Again!
3,405 Posts
Yeah, central Jersey is not great. There is nowhere to go to escape the urban sprawl.
So far, the northwestern part of the state has escaped that fate.
We have GREAT riding up here.
I have ridden through the Pine Barrens and it really didn't do much for me.
Nothing but scrub pines as far as the eye can see and roads that run in
straight lines with no ups or downs or twists and turns.
I feel for ya, Emingin!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That can work. I have not been able to get out and just ride much this summer.
I have ridden quite a bit when I can, and when I have a bike up and riding. I have lost both front and rear tires on my Thunderbird and it's dead in the water for another 10 days. Vanessa's bike is running well now so we ride it when we get free. We haven't ridden since the smoke got bad.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have ridden quite a bit when I can, and when I have a bike up and riding. I have lost both front and rear tires on my Thunderbird and it's dead in the water for another 10 days. Vanessa's bike is running well now so we ride it when we get free. We haven't ridden since the smoke got bad.
I was planning on riding up to Mt Rainier last friday after work... Then I left the building and found the sky full of this brown crap... I didn't go...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts