Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems that one of the most common “mods” is changing out the stock exhaust pipes. From comments here it seems that some who buy a brand new bike don’t even wait for the first ride before spending big bucks on new pipes. I’ve been riding for almost 40 years and I still don’t get it. Is it for the looks? I agree that some pipes look different, but I never thought that really mattered at all. To be louder? That has no appeal to me. I ride a Goldwing and would be very happy if it made even less noise. To add power? Is that real or just all in the head of the rider? Or is it just a way to keep spending money related to an interest in our lives? Thinking back over the last four decades, I only remember changing the pipes on one bike, and I did it hoping for a bit more low end power. What I got was more noise but I don’t think there was any significant change in how the bike accelerated. I decided if I wanted more power I should just buy a different bike which is what I did a short time later. A new, more comfortable seat I understand. A new windscreen that better blocks the wind I understand. And anything that helps fit the rider better to the bike, like risers, I understand. But pipes, I don’t get it.
Only a true biker guy can understand this. Aftermarket pipes are often BETTER LOOKING and SOUND BETTER than stock pipes, which is what we bikers like. Why is this hard to understand?

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
204 Posts
Only a true biker guy can understand this. Aftermarket pipes are often BETTER LOOKING and SOUND BETTER than stock pipes, which is what we bikers like. Why is this hard to understand?
It's not hard to understand.... you do it because you like it. Can you understand that I don't do it because the stock pipes are just fine, and changing them is a pointless waste of money? " Looking better" is entirely subjective... and "sounding better" to me means quieter.

By the way, as a rider since 1962 with well over a half-million miles on two wheels, do I qualify as a "true biker guy"? If not, I'm quite happy to be called a "motorcyclist".

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm apparently not a true biker either, when I come up on a motorcycle with aftermarket loud pipes
I usually blow by them at a horrendous rate of speed.
... the noise is not nearly as bad once you are in front :LOL:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm apparently not a true biker either, when I come up on a motorcycle with aftermarket loud pipes
I usually blow by them at a horrendous rate of speed.
... the noise is not nearly as bad once you are in front :LOL:
Ditto. Oci.
Bluzu my SV1000S is faster than most, and quiet. The folks on my Island do not seem to notice the speed, if you are quiet. I also give the footsies lots of space, and they wave, especially if they have a dog or kids. I slow down for the horses. I got my license to thrill in 61. How do I qualify.
I have been on bikes at the tracks with expansion chambers and megaphones, all for more horsepower, and before they mandated mufflers on race bike. Some of them were almost too noisy, especially on Sunday morning. UK

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you know that by law, the OEM emission control equipment on your vehicle which includes the exhaust system must carry a longer manufacturers warranty then the powertrain. The OEM exhaust systems are pretty darn good, they have to be!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you know that by law, the OEM emission control equipment on your vehicle which includes the exhaust system must carry a longer manufacturers warranty then the powertrain. The OEM exhaust systems are pretty darn good, they have to be!
Didn't know ... don't care........ we like changing things.

R. S.

·
Registered
135 Posts

R. S.
It means your original exhaust system is worth a lot of money and you paid a lot for it, but if you don't care about that, cool. Or maybe you just own old bikes and it has nothing to do with yours, also cool.

or maybe you just like to make lots and lots of noise and really just don't care about anybody else :/ not so cool but if that's your thing, go for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It means your original exhaust system is worth a lot of money and you paid a lot for it, but if you don't care about that, cool. Or maybe you just own old bikes and it has nothing to do with yours, also cool.
I own a custom bike I built myself. I had a Yamaha R1, first thing I changed was the exhaust. They built the exhaust to pass all 50-states emissions regulations, not for performance. But many states do not even check emissions any longer, so the exhaust gets changed.

R. S.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I own a custom bike I built myself. I had a Yamaha R1, first thing I changed was the exhaust. They built the exhaust to pass all 50-states emissions regulations, not for performance. But many states do not even check emissions any longer, so the exhaust gets changed.

R. S.
First, unless you retuned/flashed/ remapped... whatever you want to call it, you didn't gain anything except noise.
Second, if you did retune, then everything you gained was up near the redline - in fact, your midrange very likely suffered.... do you ride around all day at 10,000 rpm? Great for the track, pointless on the street, except to say "my bike dynos at ****"

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
34 Posts

R. S.
It’s called ‘personalizing’. Up until recent years, I did something to every vehicle I owned. Performance chip, exhaust swap, intakes, suspension tweaks, tires/wheels, seats, something, just to make it mine. Started with a glass pack muffler on a ‘68 Chevelle and just kept going. Only recently when I started leasing cars and not keeping bikes long enough have I not messed with them. It’s not for lack of desire, I’ve just found more important things to (have to) spend money on in my old age. Seems like I’m about to suffer a setback there though with my new Rebel 1100. There be mods coming once again. :p

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ditto. Oci.
Bluzu my SV1000S is faster than most, and quiet. ......
My son also has an SV1000S.... are there faster bikes? Sure... but his SV can scare the s*** out of all but the most experienced riders. When you can go out on the interstate and get a speeding ticket in first gear..... (not out west where you can fly....here in flyoverland the limit on the interstates is 70). And, as he used to say about my C14, "Nobody needs that much power - all it would do is get you into trouble.... but it sure is fun!"

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My Ducati Monster S4 with the - under the seat, carbon fiber exhaust. Loved the look and sound was amazing!
I don't even remember what the stock exhaust looked like, replaced the exhaust system the first month I had it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Okay my 1994 Sportster was loud but it was fun, I wasn't doing any long trips on it. Replaced the exhaust, intake, cams and almost everything else.
I remember when I was selling it, a younger guy that had just got his motorcycle license came over to look at it with his older brother.
He asked if I would go down on the price? Me "no".
Asked if his brother could ride it? Me "no".
I started it and from the look on his face I knew he was going to buy it. He did. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
First, unless you retuned/flashed/ remapped... whatever you want to call it, you didn't gain anything except noise.
Second, if you did retune, then everything you gained was up near the redline - in fact, your midrange very likely suffered.... do you ride around all day at 10,000 rpm? Great for the track, pointless on the street, except to say "my bike dynos at ****"
I know how to retune. and I don't have a Euro or Japanese bike. If you don't want to change pipes, don't do it. It's called choice and is wonderful thang. Stock pipes just look stupid on a custom chopper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It’s called ‘personalizing’. Up until recent years, I did something to every vehicle I owned. Performance chip, exhaust swap, intakes, suspension tweaks, tires/wheels, seats, something, just to make it mine. Started with a glass pack muffler on a ‘68 Chevelle and just kept going. Only recently when I started leasing cars and not keeping bikes long enough have I not messed with them. It’s not for lack of desire, I’ve just found more important things to (have to) spend money on in my old age. Seems like I’m about to suffer a setback there though with my new Rebel 1100. There be mods coming once again. :p
That's what I'm talking' about.

R. S.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Okay my 1994 Sportster was loud but it was fun, I wasn't doing any long trips on it. Replaced the exhaust, intake, cams and almost everything else.
I remember when I was selling it, a younger guy that had just got his motorcycle license came over to look at it with his older brother.
He asked if I would go down on the price? Me "no".
Asked if his brother could ride it? Me "no".
I started it and from the look on his face I knew he was going to buy it. He did. :)

Awesome ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know how to retune. and I don't have a Euro or Japanese bike. If you don't want to change pipes, don't do it. It's called choice and is wonderful thang. Stock pipes just look stupid on a custom chopper.
Fine... but in the post I responded to, you said you changed the pipes on a Yamaha R1. If that's the case, it's one strange "custom chopper".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fine... but in the post I responded to, you said you changed the pipes on a Yamaha R1. If that's the case, it's one strange "custom chopper".
I will clarify for you. At one time I had a Yamaha R1 I changed the pipes on. I also own a Custom chopper with drag pipes. Clear?

R. S.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts