Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Why I changed the pipes on my XS1100.
Because the pipes that were on it, made the engines sound like it was going to blow up at freeway speed.
Because the four original pipes and mufflers, were too heavy, too much money, and generally not available.
Because the 4 into 1 Mac pipes I bought new, fell apart.
Because the set of Jardine pipes rusty apart. Yami liked these the best. I kept the muffler for the day I bend my own pipes. Yami currently has a set of stainless steel pipes that he likes. Paid $250 for them. Also paid $250 for another set, that came with a complete bike.

However, I think the OP was about new bikes. My Triumph and Suzuki have the stock pipes. My 83 XS400 has brand X mufflers. I have said in the past. One of the easiest things to do, is make more noise and less power. If I change the mufflers on Bluzu, we will run it on the dyno to get the correct fuel mix, and check the HP. UK

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
There's been a few times in the past when I "modified" the stock factory pipes and by the time I was done, I wished I had left the darn things alone.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I put an aftermarket muffler on to get a more throaty sound. But later removed the cat and it became just too loud so put the stock muffler back on and almost got the same throaty sound back. It's just a tad louder than with the aftermarket that I had on. Sounds just fine again. At least to me and that's the only reason to change factory as far as I'm concerned, for you the rider if you aren't going for performance.

Reactions: mike721

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
I hate excessively noisy motorcycles, and if they annoy me I can only imagine how a non rider must feel hearing some of the bikes go by. The worst are the guys with the 6" long side dump exhaust pipes, I don't understand WHY anyone would want to run a set of those but they are common around here.

My stock Visions with 3 pass mufflers are almost silent, maybe a bit louder than a Goldwing because of the nature of a V-twin vs a flat 6, but still quieter than many cars and trucks on the road, I ride to work at 0330 and no one ever hears me go by. The loudest thing on my bikes are the transmissions and the tires, you can hear both over the exhaust at 80 mph, at idle the loudest thing is the overhead cams, chains, and lifters. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a rumble, or a deep, low sound at idle, but if I can't stand next to it running and have a perfectly normal conversation IMHO it's WAY too loud for me. I have only changed the pipes on one of my bikes, the Kingpin has Victory accessory curved pipes, they are slightly louder than stock ( but still EPA tested and certified, they are by no means loud), with a slight rumble, I put them on for the style, they are much prettier than stock, and I got them on a closeout at 75% off so they were not all that expensive.

My wife changed her exhaust system on her Chieftain to cool down the heat on her legs, with true duals, straight through baffles and no cats it is much cooler but her bike is borderline LOUD, too loud for me. It's not TOO bad at idle, it has a nice sound if a bit loud, but on the highway at 80 mph it roars like a freight train, I always lead when we ride together for the simple reason that I will NOT ride behind her for long or I get a headache. The funny thing though is she thought it was pretty quiet, the exhaust is way back behind the bags so to the rider it's not bad at all but look out if your behind her.. we swapped bikes one day and did some highway miles, it was an eye opener for both of us.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
204 Posts
................ I always lead when we ride together for the simple reason that I will NOT ride behind her for long or I get a headache. The funny thing though is she thought it was pretty quiet, the exhaust is way back behind the bags so to the rider it's not bad at all but look out if your behind her.. we swapped bikes one day and did some highway miles, it was an eye opener for both of us.
I've pointed this out to many of the "loud pipes save lives" crowd. Rolling down the highway at 70 - 75 mph when some rider with loud pipes overtakes you.... you don't hear anything until he's right beside you. Once he has passed, you can still hear him when he's a half mile in front of you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like my factory pipes. They're not the "coolest" looking but I don't mind the sound. My BIL has 2 Harleys. One is a Night Train with a Vance and Hines exhaust on it. When I'm behind him on the HW I can't even tell if my bike is running. Too loud!

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,904 Posts
Only bikes I changed mufflers on was my CBR f4i and my CBR 1000rr. Idling, they were fine. Under throttle, they sounded peculiar.

I'm tempted to put my stock muffler back on my RR as it's idle is a bit louder than I'd like, but to me it does sound good. Especially under throttle.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
204 Posts
First bike was a Yamaha YDS2 in 1962.... I've owned Yamaha, BSA, Triumph, Honda, and Kawasaki motorcycles since then. Stock exhaust on every one of them.... it goes in one end, and comes out the other end a little (or a lot) quieter. Best exhaust I've ever had.... the stock setup on my Concours 14. It was darn near as quiet as a Goldwing.

To each his own, but I've never understood the attraction of noisy exhaust - especially the really, obnoxiously loud ones. As to "style".... well, I've always been a "form follows function" sort of guy. If it works, don't fix it.

·
On The Road Again!
3,826 Posts
To each his own, but I've never understood the attraction of noisy exhaust - especially the really, obnoxiously loud ones. As to "style".... well, I've always been a "form follows function" sort of guy. If it works, don't fix it.
I'm with you one hundred percent.
The quieter, the better.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,281 Posts
If it is too quiet George you can hear your bones creak.

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Registered
135 Posts
All my street motorcycles are still OEM emissions compliant, I changed the exhaust on my 1986 BMW once, I replaced it with a brand new one from BMW. But emissions compliance doesn't seem to be very important to a tremendous number of people.
Does almost everybody in the USA go out, buy a new car and rip the catalytic converter off it or do they just do that with the motorcycles?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,281 Posts
Short answer is yes, on performance vehicles and trucks. :)

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
511 Posts
I live in West Virginia. No emissions test required.
Well, from what I hear, yes, some do either gut them, cconverters, or take them out. Especially if they start to get clogged up. I heard the vehicle runs much better, uses less fuel, and has more power. I've never done it, I mean that's a federal offense, but that's what I hear.........😗

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live in West Virginia. No emissions test required.
Well, from what I hear, yes, some do either gut them, cconverters, or take them out. Especially if they start to get clogged up. I heard the vehicle runs much better, uses less fuel, and has more power. I've never done it, I mean that's a federal offense, but that's what I hear.........😗
Luckily there's not much in the way of federals around to be offended.......

R S.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts