Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that one of the most common “mods” is changing out the stock exhaust pipes. From comments here it seems that some who buy a brand new bike don’t even wait for the first ride before spending big bucks on new pipes. I’ve been riding for almost 40 years and I still don’t get it. Is it for the looks? I agree that some pipes look different, but I never thought that really mattered at all. To be louder? That has no appeal to me. I ride a Goldwing and would be very happy if it made even less noise. To add power? Is that real or just all in the head of the rider? Or is it just a way to keep spending money related to an interest in our lives? Thinking back over the last four decades, I only remember changing the pipes on one bike, and I did it hoping for a bit more low end power. What I got was more noise but I don’t think there was any significant change in how the bike accelerated. I decided if I wanted more power I should just buy a different bike which is what I did a short time later. A new, more comfortable seat I understand. A new windscreen that better blocks the wind I understand. And anything that helps fit the rider better to the bike, like risers, I understand. But pipes, I don’t get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Less restriction in the flow of exhaust gases from the engine equates to more power. Aftermarket exhaust is less restrictive and lets your bike produce more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enough more to be significant? My one experience showed little or no real difference, but maybe it was just that bike and those specific pipes. The sound sure changed, and that easily could have given the subjective feeling of more power. The bike was a Triumph America, and my wife had given up riding with me, but then changed her mind. I found the bike to feel very underpowered when riding two up, so I bought new pipes that the Triumph dealer recommended. That really didn't solve the problem, so I ended up trading in that 853cc bike for one of 1600cc, and that solved the power problem.

Reactions: vistavette

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
215 Posts
Less restriction in the flow of exhaust gases from the engine equates to more power. Aftermarket exhaust is less restrictive and lets your bike produce more power.
Unless you are willing to rejet (carbs) or re-map (EFI) you very likely LOST power. Also, your ignition timing should be changed to really take advantage of the change.

Discussing this with a friend after a Harley with straight shortys rode by , I commented, "Those bozos don't know the difference between loud and fast", to which he replied, "Most of them know the difference.... they just prefer loud. If they really wanted fast, they wouldn't have a Harley."

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Hahaha, that's funny. I've had faster bikes, but not too many can match the comfort of my Electra Glide. Besides, I don't heal as fast as I used to. ;);)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can assure you that aftermarket makers of exhaust systems extensively test them and there are verifiable gains that can be shown on a dyno. I don’t know maybe I am in some specific forum I don’t realize but that has always been the case to my knowledge. I mean do you think pro race teams immediately scrap stock pipes and silencers for no reason.

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
I bought aftermarket only because I could not find a clean OEM exhaust single can for what I paid for the whole system on mine. However years ago on the same type of bike, in 2007 to be exact I gave away a whole new system off a brand new bike just like this one. I liked loud then, guess I am getting older and like silence more and more.

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,398 Posts
I can assure you that aftermarket makers of exhaust systems extensively test them and there are verifiable gains that can be shown on a dyno. I don’t know maybe I am in some specific forum I don’t realize but that has always been the case to my knowledge. I mean do you think pro race teams immediately scrap stock pipes and silencers for no reason.

You are mostly correct but, if we could dyno the actual HP used by the street riders, in the wild, I am 100% sure that most don't even come close to needing more HP, in fact might do a few justice to reduce it :cool::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
215 Posts
One example I'm familiar with.... Akrapovic pipes with an Ivan's tune - after several dyno runs and some tweaking, a Concours 14 went from 155 hp stock to 162 hp. Plus, all the gain was near redline. Makes sense for a track bike, but on a street bike, it's a waste of a bunch of money (over $500 in this case). As I stated earlier, unless you're willing to go through a retune, you're most likely LOSING power by simply swapping the exhaust.... especially in the midrange, where street riders need it.

·
On The Road Again!
3,838 Posts
I ride a Goldwing and would be very happy if it made even less noise.
You and I are on the same page, Vito.
Look at the picture below. See the air horns?
If I want loud, I push the button. LOL

·
Registered
667 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about my Harley XR1200 when I bought it was someone put some very expensive Bassani two into one megaphone LOUD exhaust on it. I not only like the looks of the stock pipes more, I hate the noise from the Bassani pipes.

·
Biker
1,488 Posts
It wasn't long after I bot the 2015 wide glide now known as 'wanderin gerty.
A big chrome gaudy affair of a muffler and the bikes sounded like my Granny's
old Singer sewing machine viviviviviv, nuthin throaty. So I talked to Mike Eliis
over ar Thunderbay cycles in Tampa FL. he said , "A stage 1 better more free
flowing airbox, better pipes and an ECM to put more gas into the cylinder."
I had heard of guys doing this without putting in the ecm and had trouble as
the bike ran like wicked lean.

So that is what I did, the bike had power, I just didn't feel like riding a sewing
machine. but I got a nice increase in power and it was dyna-tuned.

What a gr8 improvement in sound and power and I actually got better mileage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I replaced the exhaust on a 1975 Honda CB360. The originals had rusted out... Didn't like the new ones, but couldn't afford OEM. My current bike, an electra glide, I bought used. It had some awful aftermarket trash mufflers on it. I found a pair of OEM mufflers on ebay and fixed it.

I suppose the whole aftermarket exhaust industry keeps some folks in jobs.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Bought my current bike used. It has a pair of Vance & Hines slipons on it. Sounds good, runs good, but I don't know if its tuning has been changed or not. Has plenty of power for me, it will do the speed limit (and more) on all the highways I expect to ride on.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,360 Posts
I did the Stage One on my 2009 Ultra Classic when I bought it new. The whole package made the bike much better and the 49 state legal pipes sounded good and were no louder, or not much louder than stock.

On my current BMW and other bikes I have and have owned, I've never found the need. However: aftermarket exhaust systems and slip-ons can be significantly lighter than stock. That can be a big difference on ADV bikes, off road bikes, and sport/track bikes where a few pounds and a few extra HP count.

As a 100% street rider who does almost all of my riding on long day rides or multi-day trips, I have zero use for aftermarket exhaust. If the bike is too slow with the stock parts, a slip-on isn't going to be much better. I'll just buy a faster bike at that point. That was the decision I came to after 9 years, 90k miles, and way too much money chasing performance and the exact right sound on my Ultra Classic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
36 Posts

That’s not always the case. As has been stated, you often (not always, but often) need to do additional tuning to reap the benefits of a freer-flowing exhaust. Intake to get more air in, and re-jet carbs or tune the ECU to get more fuel to take advantage of the extra air. Hotter cams to make the most use of all that, then another retune to take advantage of the cam. Just as often there will be less usable power with just adding pipes. I guarantee you most people who do it don’t know what they’re doing and do it for the noise, and then think they’re making more power because it’s louder. The only measurable advantage to just swapping pipes is the weight savings most of the time. And those race teams that swap out pipes, they do a crapload of tuning and other mods to get the most out of those engines, and the exhaust is just one piece of that equation.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts