Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Master of Rex Kwon Do
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We’ve all met people while out on our bikes who make outlandish claims about how fast/incredible their bike is…. Well, I ran into a guy while pumping gas this morning. He was fueling a rather nice looking Sportster Iron. His bike had the “883” emblem on the air box cover but, the bike sounded a little more “healthy” when he pulled up. I struck up a conversation:

Me – Nice bike… I love how the Iron looks and you’ve done the same cosmetic changes I’d have done…

Him – Thanks… I just got it back from 2 weeks in the shop…

Me – Really? Were you having problems with it?

Him – Nope, I had the 1250 kit installed and dyno tuned…. This thing flies now.

Me – Well, it sure did sound nice when you pulled up… Congrats on the bike

Him – Thanks… My sporty will easily hit 100mph now… How fast is your bike?

Me – Well I’ve never had it maxed out but…. It’s fast enough for me.

Him – When you can break into triple digits… call me, we’ll ride.

Me – (trying to avoid a dick measuring contest) I don’t ride like that anymore. If I wanted to run crazy speeds I would’ve stayed on my Japanese sport bikes. I still hit the curves pretty aggressively but… seldom go faster than 75-80 mph.

Him – Don’t feel bad if you can’t break a hundred…. Most HD powered bikes need some work to get there. I’d suspect your Buell would need some help too…. Since I just had all the work done… My bike is faster than those Jap bikes… My cousin was doing 160 on his R6 last night and he couldn’t keep up with me.

Me – 1) I never said my bike wouldn’t break a hundred…. In fact I’m pretty sure I could get there in 3rd gear. What I said was, “I don’t ride like that anymore.” 2) I don’t see a chain conversion so unless your shop guys found a way to change the gear ratios inside the box or found a way to get a couple thousand more RPMs out of your engine…. You can’t get there on stock gearing especially with the rev limiter.

Him – Are you calling me a liar?!?!?!?!

Me – Well, I started this conversation to compliment you on your bike but…
Yeah, I guess I’m saying you’re full of ****.

I can’t understand why some people just can’t accept a compliment without having to embellish (or completely fabricate in this case)and simply say “thanks”. I understand talking trash to your buddies but to try and bull**** a total stranger… It doesn’t make sense to me.

Note: I ran my bike up to the rev limiter in 3rd gear… I can’t get all the way to 100 but I can get over 90MPH indicated .

·
Master of Rex Kwon Do
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know a guy EXACTLY like that! Don't understand it, never will. It's a shame he's married to my girlfriends best friend. (even though he doesn't know yet it's not for much longer)
I don't know what's worse... the fact that people like this exist or that I can't resist calling them out when they start bull****ing....

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I don't know what's worse... the fact that people like this exist or that I can't resist calling them out when they start bull****ing....
and it's not all about bikes either...a guy I have been friends with since we were 4 years old is like that (I just turned 42 on the 12th) he told me one night that he drove his car (a 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo...you know, heavy, underpowered, middle of the gas crunch made car) from a concert back to town in 10 min....the concert was 34 miles away....I've learned to take things with a grain of salt...but I still call BS when I have to lol

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
You mean you didn't ask him what kind of engine he put in the car and what kind of fuel he was using to go over 200 miles per hour??? :p:p

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
and it's not all about bikes either...a guy I have been friends with since we were 4 years old is like that (I just turned 42 on the 12th) he told me one night that he drove his car (a 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo...you know, heavy, underpowered, middle of the gas crunch made car) from a concert back to town in 10 min....the concert was 34 miles away....I've learned to take things with a grain of salt...but I still call BS when I have to lol
LOL! Maybe he meant a Nascar 77 Monte? Yeah that would be 204 mph average speed. I never knew Chevy was in the supercar market!

·
7,009 Posts
Most stock Harley big twins top out at about 100 to 105 mph when the ECM retards the ignition to 5,100 to 5,500 rpms. A popular thing to do was to install a Sportster ECM on a big twin allowing a 6,000 plus redline, so the bike would go a little faster.

The guy on the 1250 Sportster was full of excrement but he could possibly have beat you up to 100 mph if that 1250 conversion was done right---Heads, Cams, Exhaust, ECM etc.

My past 1250 Bandit would do 100 mph in second but I've heard of some supersport bikes doing that in first gear!

Sam:)

·
What?
865 Posts
I don't know how fast my KZ goes, the speedo pegs at 85, I hit that in fourth two days ago. My Ninja I know will go at least 125 but not sure how much more.

But for me it isn't about top speed, it's about how fast I get up to a safeish speed for where I am riding. I like it around 70-75 normally on my KZ, my Ninja I would cruise around 80 or so.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
LOL! Maybe he meant a Nascar 77 Monte? Yeah that would be 204 mph average speed. I never knew Chevy was in the supercar market!
oh yeah...didn't you know that mid to late 70's cars were the best? gas crunch, de-tuned engines? not his...nope, he had a "special" car :biggrin:

and if you have ever been through Downtown Kansas City MO on I-70 you would be even more impressed...lots of curves and the speed limit is 55 there

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
oh yeah...didn't you know that mid to late 70's cars were the best? gas crunch, de-tuned engines? not his...nope, he had a "special" car :biggrin:

and if you have ever been through Downtown Kansas City MO on I-70 you would be even more impressed...lots of curves and the speed limit is 55 there
Yeah, I remember, I had a 77 Camaro. Biggest piece of crap I ever owned. It would barely get out of it's own way. Now my 1970 Dodge Demon, that was much better! I added 383 heads and intake to the 340 it came with and changed the rear to a 4:56. It would throw you back in the seat but capped at about 100 and got about 8 MPG. Never would have touched that Monte Carlo though!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Wow Murph, you are bringing back memories! Back in 1973 Randy had a 1971 Plum Purple Dodge Demon. Honestly, I think that is the reason we actually met. We both loved that car. He also built it into a drag car. Did lots of street racing and also raced at the track on Fri & Sat nights.

Like you said, no match for the Monte Carlo though. :)

·
Nightfly
4,042 Posts
Yeah, I remember, I had a 77 Camaro. Biggest piece of crap I ever owned. It would barely get out of it's own way. Now my 1970 Dodge Demon, that was much better! I added 383 heads and intake to the 340 it came with and changed the rear to a 4:56. It would throw you back in the seat but capped at about 100 and got about 8 MPG. Never would have touched that Monte Carlo though!
I don't know if it was a type-0 but you can't put 383 heads and intake on a 340 engine. One is a big block and one is a small block. Nor would I want to use 383 parts even if I could. The 71 340 came with J heads but 71 also saw the introduction of the 360 style J head, first used in the 1970 340 six pack AAR/TA, with 2.20 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. The 340 was a damn good engine, especially with the AAR parts.

·
Nightfly
4,042 Posts
The stock 1200 Sportster will at redline (6000 RPM) at about 126 mph.
I think you're probably right. One of the reasons I went with and adjustable module is because the stock one in my Sportster wouldn't let it rev past 56/5700. I set the new adjustable unit to 6500 and it goes right up there no problem. Made a big difference in the performance of the bike. Of course a few other changes may have helped as well.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I believe the 6000 RPM redline was introduced with EFI models, but I'm not certain. The 1200 Buell engines were beefed up to allow a higher redline. (Somewhere in the 7500 RPM range?)

A lot of add-on modules will allow the rev limiter to be raised, but it's not a good idea to go too high since a valve can float if over-revved.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about calling these guys out. Sometimes it's fun to poke the (pink teddy) bear, and somebody has to try to pull them back to reality.

I would have been tempted to ask, "Wait, you paid someone ELSE to work on your bike? Poser..." and walk away.

:biggrin:

·
Master of Rex Kwon Do
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most '70 - '73 cars built before the Catalytic Converter will smoke their '74 and up counter parts till around 1986 or so.... IIRC the catalytic converter was mandatory on US cars in 1974 (trucks in 1978).

I believe the 6000 RPM redline was introduced with EFI models, but I'm not certain. The 1200 Buell engines were beefed up to allow a higher redline. (Somewhere in the 7500 RPM range?)

A lot of add-on modules will allow the rev limiter to be raised, but it's not a good idea to go too high since a valve can float if over-revved.
The Buell 1200 has a soft limiter at 6500 and hard limiter at 7000 RPMs. The XB9 motor (984cc) has a soft limiter at7000 and hard limiter at 7500 RPMs.

Soft Rev Limiter - the ECM starts to muck with the igition timing to protect the engine as the RPMs increase.

Hard Rev Limiter - the ECM cuts the fuel to prevent valve float/over reving the engine...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts