Motorcycle Forum banner

Who have you seen helmet-less more often?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing a trend lately where I live about who is going helmetless out here.
Almost every single sportbike rider I've seen is wearing at least a helmet. (I think I've seen all but 2 within the past 3 months with no helmet.)
Almost every single cruiser rider I've seen is not wearing a helmet. (Again, I've seen maybe 3 or 4 with a helmet in the past 3 months.)
I thought this was pretty interesting, since a certain someone I know doesn't like to wear his helmet... any of the 5 he has (Yes, Dad, I'm talking about you) and he rides a cruiser.
Now I'm not saying that one group is safer than the other, because it definitely depends on the individual... I just thought it was an interesting observation and wanted to know if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
Granted, my state has no helmet laws, so this might be way different everywhere else. Maybe the guys on cruisers down here are just anti-helmet for whatever reason.
And just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist ;)
So here's my question:
Who have you seen helmetless recently? Cruisers or sportsbikes?

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
The trend I've seen here is a marked increase in Harley riders wearing a helmet. I was an outcast on my first Harley. Rarely did I see another one wearing one. Now it's actually rare I see a helmet-less one except on weekends with a rally somewhere. The everyday riders all seem to be wearing them now. Except for crotch rockets. We had another go to the hospital this week with no helmet. He's still in intensive care. Probably best if he let go. So I'm seeing just the opposite. Location location location I guess.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Don't have a proper choice as I live in a state that requires a helmet

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hogcowboy always a shame to see fellow riders get hurt :( especially so badly. I hope he either has a good recovery or at least goes in peace with good memories of riding

On a happier note, it's interesting that it's reversed where you live. Now if we can only get both groups to cover their noggins :p

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Hogcowboy always a shame to see fellow riders get hurt :( especially so badly. I hope he either has a good recovery or at least goes in peace with good memories of riding

On a happier note, it's interesting that it's reversed where you live. Now if we can only get both groups to cover their noggins :p
I think when you are forced to do something the need to defy overrides good judgement. Texas is basically a do what you want state. There is some age and insurance requirements but not too restrictive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think when you are forced to do something the need to defy overrides good judgement. Texas is basically a do what you want state. There is some age and insurance requirements but not too restrictive.
That actually makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. People tend to have a "don't tell me what to do!" attitude don't they? haha :biggrin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Here in Maryland the mandatory helmet law was repealed for a couple of years over thirty years ago then reinstated. I did ride a couple of times on the road without one, but back then most of my riding was off road and I would always wear a helmet as I was pretty young and crazy. Even though helmets are mandatory I would still wear one but I do agree it should be a personal choice.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I think one factor in helmet use is the image that the rider wants to project.

Sportbike riders think they are Valentino Rossi; "and since Rossi wears a helmet and cool riding gear, so do I"

Cruiser riders think they are Peter Fonda in Easy Rider; "and since Fonda didn't need a helmet, neither do I."

This is a bit tongue in cheek, but I think it is pretty accurate for some.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Image is pretty important for a lot of riders. I'm the same way, in a sense. I think full riding gear looks pretty awesome.
I'd rather look like a dork but be safe, though, if it really came down to it. I'm too chicken to ride without a helmet, even if I thought I'd look cool without one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The trend I've seen here is a marked increase in Harley riders wearing a helmet.
That's the same trend here for all riders, especially noticeable for HD riders, with a big percentage of them now wearing FF and modular no less.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
In this area less than 50% wear helmets. I'd guess evenly mixed between motorcycle styles.

I wear one even on short trips. I've seen the results of crashes with and without helmets and those that were wearing them were always glad they did when their heads hit the pavement.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Hardly anybody on anything wears a helmet around here. But, I have noticed the number of riders wearing seems to be growing.
I wear because I feel nekkid w/o one.

If I was guessing the increase would be somewhat related to the info-addicts inability to put down their phones and drive.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Whew, that's good. I'd hate to get a ticket when I ride my bike the 60 ft. to the mailbox w/o my helmet.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts