Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the video below, a motorcycle collides with a car.

Who's at fault here?

I think I know who is to blame for the crash, but will comment later.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Since it's illegal to enter an intersection before it's clear here in Oklahoma, they're both at fault. Several years ago, I got a warning citation for it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Same here Old. It is illegal to enter an intersection until you can also clear the intersection safely.

The prudent thing would have been to wait until the idiots had cleared before moving forward, unless your objective is to create grid-lock.

PS I love it when the idiots have blocked the intersection and an emergency vehicle comes along, particularly a BIG noisy fire engine. It is so much fun to watch the idiots try to get out of the way! :71baldboy:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
He obviously needs to take a BRC class, then he might have realized he needed to be more careful. Granted the cars shouldn't have blocked the intersection, but it does happen. He took off way too fast and shouldn't have tried to drive through them unless he was Positive the other car would let him through without moving.

He needs to learn how to ride like everyone is out to kill him.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A driver must yield to traffic already in an intersection. The guy in the car should get a citation for blocking the intersection, but the bike rider is at fault concerning the accident.

·
American Legion Rider
18,498 Posts
I had a battalion chief tell me it's your fault if you are in any accident. Regardless of law. If you don't get to your destination YOU failed. Now this was training for driving a fire engine but it's applicable anywhere. If you don't get where you are intending to go you failed. But once again we are in a world where no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. What's new?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,440 Posts
both but the biker should have the biggest dose of fault. As a driver it is your job to avoid accidents, not cause them

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
The indignation in the biker's voice reveals it's all about him. What's his hurry? When he took off at the light he was already whining about the intersection being blocked. He too off like a rocket with the intention of squeezing through a small opening. The traffic was snarled when he got to the intersection. He should have taken a deep breath and let it clear rather than ruining his day as well as others.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
If that exact scenario happened here in Hawaii, the car would be cited for blocking an intersection/failure to yield right-of-way, but the biker would be cited for entering an intersection that wasn't clear, speeding and willful reckless driving. It was all recorded on his gopro, so he obviously entered that situation with intent.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
The riders is way amped from the start. A little patience would have saved his bike. He's lucky he wasn't hurt himself.

"I have it all on camera.." Yeah, not sure that's gonna help you cause buddy.

Idiot

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
Apparently his first accident wasn't all that educational.
Unless he's in some kind of competition to rack up accidents...

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
I'll go with the "don't enter until safe" crew. Also you aren't supposed to enter an intersection unless you can clear the intersection so I'll say everybody gets a ticket for criminal stupidity.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
The bike.

It is hard to tell if the white car moved forward an inch or two. But the bike is aiming at the car, not the gap in front of the white car, and behind the red car.
The cars blocking the intersection do not get the bike off the hook.
He proceeded without due care and attention. When entering an intersection or pulling onto a road, you proceed when it is safe to do so.
The speed of the bike could cause a cage driver to misjudge the angle of the dangle, and that is a reasonable defense if it can be proven the bike was indeed exceeding the speed limit by a bunch.

Oh, and the bike rider is an arsehole. If he is not capable of guiding a bike through that gap, he should not be riding. He is also part of the stroker set.
The sensation of speed excited his manly parts, and interfered with the guidance system. What a dip stick. But I think he said he was sorry for hitting the car. Maybe crash number three will slow him down, but I doubt it until he seriously wrecks the bike.

Call me Unkle Sympathy. Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Personally, l think this is clearly the rider's fault for being stupid enough to trust the car to stay put. This violates half the rules of motorcycle safety that we all learned in our BRC. I believe it is riders like this that inflate our statistics some. I'm not saying all accidents are caused in this manner, but this clearly should have been avoided, and easily could have been

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
He obviously needs to take a BRC class, then he might have realized he needed to be more careful. Granted the cars shouldn't have blocked the intersection, but it does happen. He took off way too fast and shouldn't have tried to drive through them unless he was Positive the other car would let him through without moving.

He needs to learn how to ride like everyone is out to kill him.
Agree 100%

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
The car had probably entered the intersection under a green light and was then stopped by traffic. The car clearly had the right of way. The motorcycle failed to yield that right of way and struck the car, so I'd say the motorcycle was 100% at fault.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My two pennies for what it's worth, 110% the rider's fault. Sure the car was in the middle of the intersection apparently when the light changed to red, but as the driver/rider with the green light it is your responsibility to wait for the intersection to clear before proceeding. The main point is that the rider took off like he was at the track and if he uses the video in the court case he will be found to be using excessive speed or not yielding right of way causing a crash. Again just my opinion, would you do the same thing as that rider and expect a different outcome?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Totally the rider's fault. That guy was an entitled prick who thinks because the light is green, he has the right of way REGARDLESS of anything already in the intersection. That's like the chick I rear ended because she cut me off before a red light but "had [her] blinker on so [she] had the right of way" (that's word for word what she told me and the cop). Apparently flashing lights take precedence over huge hunks of metal being in your way. She got a citation and my SUV got fixed on her insurance's dime. Along with a nice check for diminished value to my vehicle.

Is the guy in the car a dick? Yes. Is he "at fault" for that accident? No way.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
It's interesting to see the differences in law and enforcement. Around here if you go in and get hung out like that they will ticket you. See:

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 6
RULES OF THE ROAD
49-614. STOP WHEN TRAFFIC OBSTRUCTED. No driver shall enter an intersection, a marked crosswalk, or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, crosswalk or railroad grade crossing to accommodate the vehicle he is operating without obstructing the passage of other vehicles, pedestrians or railroad trains, regardless of any traffic control signal indication to proceed.

History:
[49-614, added 1988, ch. 265, sec. 151, p. 658.]

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH6SECT49-614.htm

SOOO...I'm going for: in Idaho both parties get a ticket.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts