Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Virtual Reality (VR) is a really interesting technology that is still in its infancy as a "consumer available product" For those who don't know about it, VR basically consists of you looking through a headpiece (like looking through binoculars) and "seeing" an entirely made-up environment. VR also usually uses head tracking too, so as you 'look around' while wearing a headset, the environment moves around with you.

The potential uses are endless. From simple recreation, like gaming, to "sightseeing" and even tel-presence options.

Up until recently, a decent VR headset has been kinda expensive, some going upwards of $10k & most people can't afford that...

..but then, someeone came up with a great idea. Smartphones are now extremely popular, 'relatively' cheap, and are now becoming powerful enough to generate a VR image. All that's missing is a way to use the smartphone as a VR viewer.

Samsung has recently made available a custom plastic housing that you use by inserting your smartphone into it & running a custom app. Great but, it costs around $200 for the housing & ONLY works with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 :( which costs around $700 give or take.

Google on the other hand has come up with a BRILLIANT solution to bring VR to the masses. They came up with a cheap cardboard housing that you can either buy for around $20, or make it yourself by downloading the template. And you can stick your smartphone in that & away you go!

https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/index.html

I heard about this a while ago, but the initial version was only compatible with the Google Nexus 5 phone.. But now it will apparently work with ANY android phone that has android 4.1-or-higher installed.

I just ordered one myself. Hey it's only $20 :D

Keep that in mind though.. that it is cheap, and obviously not a competitor of pricier gadgets like Oculus Rift. Yet apparenly most people who try Google Cardboard say it pretty friggen amazing for $20. I hope so!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got my Google cardboard VR viewer after it took nearly 2 weeks for the order to arrive. Geez I never waited so impatiently for a cheap piece of cardboard delivery in my life :D

But WOW for $20 this thing is friggen AWESOME!!! :cool: although granted the construction is cheap, and the lenses could be better.. Great for $20 though!

If you have any Android smartphone that is running version 4.1 or newer, and is in the ~5-6" size, go get some cardboard for it!

There's a free roller-coaster simulator app that, just by itself, pays for the $20 viewer :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fibrum.roallercoastervr&hl=en

Right now there aren't too many apps available, but I guarantee you that will change when more people jump on the bandwagon. Heck right now there are even YouTube videos you can watch that are compatible with VR, just search for "half SBS 3d" & anything that pops up looking like a dual-image is VR capable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts