Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got new tires and a rear spring for my ride for Christmas. My problem is my bike is stuck in storage for the winter, so I can't get it out until the snow melts. Usually I keep it in a buddy's garage, but even then it's hard to move it out because there are several bikes kept there, even harder to work on.
So I was wondering if anyone else here had to wait for warmer weather before they can do any work on their bikes?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Same here - I have to wait for a lot of the snow to melt to get the bike out of the barn.

The good news is that the sun is getting strong now, so even on colder days we're slowly losing some snow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
While I don't have to wait to work on my bikes, I do have to wait to RIDE my bikes. I was in British Columbia on exercise last week and it was definitely riding weather there. So warm in fact that I called my wife back home in Edmonton and asked her to reinstate my bike insurance for the riding season because it was so warm i thought that I'd for sure be riding when i got home. She told me it was -30C (-22F) with the windchill back home and that i was an idiot for wanting insurance on the bike before the roads got swept. So to answer your question, YES! I have to wait too. But I don't mind commiserating with you about the fact. lol

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I have a few things to take care of on the scoot before the season starts. I have it just out in the garage, but my garage isn't heated, so I'm in the waiting room too.

New pegs and grips, along with some paint touch up, and building a tail pack mount.

I am also waiting for it to warm up so I can clean the garage and see if I have room for another cycle.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,857 Posts
I opted not to wait. Bike went to a local shop that doesn't have much work this winter. Getting a full safety check from one end to the other, neck bearings and swing arm. Brakes, axle bearings checked. Everything re greased if needed and oil and filter changed. All at a price I couldn't pass up. Since they have it and I am not in a hurry they are doing a total fluid change out. Brakes, forks, and anti-freeze.

It is a two man shop and has a great mechanic. Prices are reasonable and if they don't have any work they won't be there when I need them. Besides the bike will be ready to ride as soon as the weather warms up and I won't have to wait until I do all the maintenance. At least that is my excuse and I am sticking to it :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have my bike in a storage building that belongs to the old owners of the ski resort I work for. It use to be our equipment and supplies for operations building and is fairly large with only my bike, a scooter and one pontoon boat in it. I still have keys to the gate and building so I have access to my bike whenever I want and even though it's not heated in there I can work on my bike and even putter around on it a bit at idle speed if I desire. That being said, I find myself sitting there and staring at my ride to get the fix I need quite a bit. I have put new gsxr bar ends, gsxr swing arm spools, gsxr fender eliminater and cleaned her up a bit but I still have a new smoked windscreen and frame sliders to install sometime soon and really need to give her a serious cleaning. It has been brutally cold here in New York state and we have had more snow fall than I care to have. I primarily plow snow for the whole resort including a park with cross country skiing trails, a hotel with indoor water park, an adventure center with zip lines and a mountain coaster, a fairly good size base area in the ski area itself and a village of condos and private mountain homes. I am very tired if the constant sub zero temperature and snow that never seems to go away. I as well as my entire family love to ski and snowboard but I am always working and it's been too cold on my times off to be on the slopes. I love my job most of the time but I am seriously ready for the spring melt off and to get my '08 gsxr 750 out and just ride. So...yes I have to wait for the riding and I'm growing more and more impatient. To those of you on here that can ride now...stay safe!!!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
So I got new tires and a rear spring for my ride for Christmas. My problem is my bike is stuck in storage for the winter, so I can't get it out until the snow melts. Usually I keep it in a buddy's garage, but even then it's hard to move it out because there are several bikes kept there, even harder to work on.
So I was wondering if anyone else here had to wait for warmer weather before they can do any work on their bikes?
Really tired of the white stuff! Snowing again here in NJ :frown:

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is in an enclosed trailer here, but I wouldn't get far at all if I tried to bust it out now in a foot + of snow. I'm also keeping a bunch of other seasonal stuff in there so I couldn't take it anywhere.
On a positive note, the weather should start to turn warmer in the next couple weeks here :), so I'm feeling hopeful that it won't be long before I can at least get some of my list checked off.

Soon I'll have to change my avatar again ;)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,857 Posts
Will Spring ever come?

Sleet and freezing rain today. May rain tomorrow turning to snow after midnight and continue until Thursday afternoon. Let's hope the weatherman is wrong.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My bike has been in my workshop since Christmas while I fitted a sidecar. The shop isn't continuously heated but I stoke up the wood stove when I want to work in there.

The sidecar is ready to test-ride and I don't care if there is still some ice and snow around but I am waiting for warmer temperatures for the tests. FINALLY there are Zero and above-zero temps in the five-day forecast!

·
On The Road Again!
3,271 Posts
I live in New Jersey where they slather the roads with SALT all winter! There is no way in hell that I will take my bikes out 'til we have a heavy spring rain to wash all that **** off the road. I don't want to find my bike rusting away a few years from now.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Same here in WI. It's not enough to have warmer weather, we need a few good rain showers to clean up the roads. But, if its below 40 degrees when that rain comes, well then out come the salt trucks again.:mad:

But it should be warm enough next week or so to uncover the bike and get to work on prepping.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Yup... I gotta wait too. Every winter the coconuts fall from the trees and us bikers have to wait for the Coconut trucks to come sweep em up... :p

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Wait

Yup... I gotta wait too. Every winter the coconuts fall from the trees and us bikers have to wait for the Coconut trucks to come sweep em up... :p
I had to ride down the side walks in Honolulu. It rained hard and the tide was in. Flooded many streets.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I fear that an honest submission from me will bring me what the rest of you have been dealing with. I have been riding all Winter, save for the occasional hard rain or wind.

Tonight l discovered part of why my bike has been feeling sluggish...my tires were low on air. I just got some new air accessories so l got our new air line all hooked up in the shop at work and filled them up. I think the bike should have more juice, as well as getting better gas mileage. Note to self: pay closer attention to that :)

Tomorrow l hope to change the oil and grease the chain, check the air filter and whatnot.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Weather

I rode the 400 today.
Changed the gear oil on Yami. Loaded the side car. Riding to the mainland on Thursday. Up Island again tomorrow on the 400.
Will be checking air oil and petrol for Yami.
Oil the chain often, resist the urge to tighten it often. I see way too many chains that are too tight, and too dry.
I think I have only touched the adjustment two times on the Suzuki. It has about 30,000 kms on it.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
..still knee-deep stuck in winter mode here too :(

And the unheated garage makes it tough to do any bike work. 1st thing I want to add this year is one of those LED headlight kits, as my factory headlight is kinda pathetic..

On a weather side note, we took a (car) road trip a couple weeks ago from Ontario Canada to Tampa Florida, spent a few days there then came back. By the time we got into Georgia & beyond the weather was (IMO) definitely 'riding weather', yet during the whole trip we only saw about 10-15 motorcycles on the road!! What gives??!?!?

Do you southern belt riders not ride if the temp dips below 60F or what??

·
7,516 Posts
It's raining ice and it's also snowing fairly hard right now. It's 27 degrees with a stiff wind and the wind chill is 12 . My bikes are in the barn waiting with baited breath---whatever that means!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...yet during the whole trip we only saw about 10-15 motorcycles on the road!! What gives??!?!?

Do you southern belt riders not ride if the temp dips below 60F or what??
I have family all over down south, yes when the temp gets around 50F they bust out the winter gear, coats, hats and gloves. If it gets down to 40, construction stops too because the concrete might freeze. (Here in Michigan we pump concrete all year)

I had to get something out of my storage trailer yesterday...it smelt of lonely motorcycle tears *sigh* :frown:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts