Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Royal Enfield was delivered today. It does not have an electric start. Forgot just what it takes to kick over a 500 cc single. Still I am sure I will soon get used to it.
So who else has only a kick start?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Translation

Push bike = bicycle

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I was considering buying a brand new Yamaha SR400 scrambler, which is a cool little commuter and is kick start only. The guy at the shop said you have to special order them because they didn't sell any. They didn't sell any because no one wanted to kick start them. Personally, I thought that was one of the coolest features of them :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Kick start is all nice an romantic till you have to work on it. It's really fun when the problem is a starting issue.

I have had ATV's that are kick only, my Honda four wheeler has a kick start back-up.

I consider electric starters a fancy upgrade that is worth it. :smile_big:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
The SR400 is another failed attempt by a manufacturer to try and stimulate the consumers taste for nostalgia but in reality, it seldom works no matter what brand the bike is.:smile_big:

There is no SR400 Scrambler for the American market either.:smile:

Sam:nerd:

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,518 Posts
Winger has both, in fact it was the last year that the Goldwing had a kicker.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Bikes with large engines and higher compression would be difficult to kick start.
Yep. They have in many cases a compression release so the little starter can turn the things over. I miss kickers on one hand but don't on the other for this very reason. A kick-back on my beast would break my leg for sure.:surprise::wink2::grin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts