Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A posting I wrote earlier about Motorcycle Gangs, err "Clubs" got me thinking about who the REAL 1%'ers are.

The guys in those clubs, for them it's about survival, fear, intimidation, crime, retaliation and revenge. Loyalty to a *[email protected]#$'d up organization. Respect!

Personally I disagree.

As Peter Fonda, aka "Captain America" in "Wild Hogs" said... "Dudes, it's about the RIDE!"

Guys who belong to criminal gangs or organizations --- the bikes and biking are secondary to them. Yeah, they all ride HD or choppers, etc. So what.

But who is the REAL 1%, those for whom RIDING is REALLY what it's all about.

I say it's the guys on BMW's, Wings, (and other big touring bikes) and adventure bikes I see with the hard metal cases who ride tens of thousands of miles per year. The guys like Warren who has put 100,000 miles on a bike in 4 years, doesn't even own a car. A crazy guy who'll ride a scooter half way across the country ...JUST BECAUSE. The guys who look for any and every excuse to ride. The guys who commute in rain and cold weather because RIDING is where it's at. The guy who sells the house and goes on the road, even for awhile. The guys who seek a renewal of their mind, their outlook, by way of

THE ROAD TRIP.

I'm sorry, but dealing drugs and violence and having public shootouts may make you the 1% of bikers who belong in JAIL, but it doesn't make you the 1% of riders i ADMIRE.

You REAL 1%ers, and those of you (us) who are WANNABE 1%'ers, dedicated to the bikes, the ride, the road trip, meeting, helping, and making new brothers along the route...

I SALUTE YOU

·
Registered
537 Posts
1% has nothing to do with a motorcycle.
There was a time when living on the other side of the law set you apart.
It was not the normal way of life.
They where not living like the other 99% of society.

Today if you want to be set apart from the rest of the pack you have to be far more outlandish;

You stay married
You raise your own kids
You provide for your family
You make a deal, shake a hand and its written in stone.

I have a cabinet full of guns at home.
But if I feel I need to get on out to demand respect, I have failed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe I'm to self centered, but gangs, even large group rides are not for me. First I never understood gangs - why the hate? Second, I kinda side with Grocho Marx, "I never wanted to belong to an organization that would have someone like me as a member."

After all, I want to ride when and where I want to ride. If I go on a long trip, I like learning about the people along the way: what they think, believe, what is important to them, and then move on. I would hate to ride with someone that wants to stop for something that I would not "waste my time" with. If I see something of interest, I will stop. That is really hard to do with a bunch of other people. Well, ya'll get my point - enjoy your rides, I hope to one day meet you at a restaurant or roadside rest but I doubt we will ride together - sorry.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Maybe I'm to self centered, but gangs, even large group rides are not for me. First I never understood gangs - why the hate? Second, I kinda side with Grocho Marx, "I never wanted to belong to an organization that would have someone like me as a member."

After all, I want to ride when and where I want to ride. If I go on a long trip, I like learning about the people along the way: what they think, believe, what is important to them, and then move on. I would hate to ride with someone that wants to stop for something that I would not "waste my time" with. If I see something of interest, I will stop. That is really hard to do with a bunch of other people. Well, ya'll get my point - enjoy your rides, I hope to one day meet you at a restaurant or roadside rest but I doubt we will ride together - sorry.
:71baldboy:

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
The 1%ers earn their right to be called that.

There are hundreds of articles how that came to be.

I don't believe I would be dissing them....

But the more I read here, the more I realize......

:icon_cool:

C

·
0 Posts
A posting I wrote earlier about Motorcycle Gangs, err "Clubs" got me thinking about who the REAL 1%'ers are.

The guys in those clubs, for them it's about survival, fear, intimidation, crime, retaliation and revenge. Loyalty to a *[email protected]#$'d up organization. Respect!

Personally I disagree.

As Peter Fonda, aka "Captain America" in "Wild Hogs" said... "Dudes, it's about the RIDE!"

Guys who belong to criminal gangs or organizations --- the bikes and biking are secondary to them. Yeah, they all ride HD or choppers, etc. So what.

But who is the REAL 1%, those for whom RIDING is REALLY what it's all about.

I say it's the guys on BMW's, Wings, (and other big touring bikes) and adventure bikes I see with the hard metal cases who ride tens of thousands of miles per year. The guys like Warren who has put 100,000 miles on a bike in 4 years, doesn't even own a car. A crazy guy who'll ride a scooter half way across the country ...JUST BECAUSE. The guys who look for any and every excuse to ride. The guys who commute in rain and cold weather because RIDING is where it's at. The guy who sells the house and goes on the road, even for awhile. The guys who seek a renewal of their mind, their outlook, by way of

THE ROAD TRIP.

I'm sorry, but dealing drugs and violence and having public shootouts may make you the 1% of bikers who belong in JAIL, but it doesn't make you the 1% of riders i ADMIRE.

You REAL 1%ers, and those of you (us) who are WANNABE 1%'ers, dedicated to the bikes, the ride, the road trip, meeting, helping, and making new brothers along the route...

I SALUTE YOU
Wade, you would be a great asset if you got your facts straight. Admit, you know nothing about this subject. Your post is nothing more then what I have heard on the news, TV and other sources. Unless you have joined you really know nothing at all. Call me an ass, but that is just the way it is.

You may get away with posts like this on other forums, but it will not work here. In my humble personal opinion, members are smart here and see threw BS. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
1% has nothing to do with a motorcycle.
There was a time when living on the other side of the law set you apart.
It was not the normal way of life.
They where not living like the other 99% of society.

Today if you want to be set apart from the rest of the pack you have to be far more outlandish;

You stay married
You raise your own kids
You provide for your family
You make a deal, shake a hand and its written in stone.

I have a cabinet full of guns at home.
But if I feel I need to get on out to demand respect, I have failed.
So we'll put.
Thank you

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
One day, back in the mid-80's, when I was on my first motorcycle, riding legally (within posted speed limits) at dusk, down a tree-lined country road..........I heard behind me, and coming up fast, the sound of some rather loud pipes.

The traffic up til that moment was just not there.........so far as I knew, I was alone. The sound of those pipes came from nowhere, came up FAST, and surprised me.

As the sound got louder, I sensed that there were two bikes, by the sounds I was hearing, and indeed there were.

Two chopped up cruisers passed me, one right behind the other, really fast, on my right side, scrapping their foot pegs on the pavement as they passed, and tagging me on my shoulder with their outstretched hands.

I noted no helmets, colors from SOME club, and was glad they were continuing on past me. I figured they were just rousing me for the heck of it.

To "me," at that time, they were 1%'ers, by behavior.

-Soupy

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I'm sure glad i have a quite bike......
No one hears me coming....
:71baldboy:
Then i just zip on by.....
It's so quite even the radar guns don't see me.....LOL

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
what the h^^* does that have to do with 1%ing ?

I ride because I was led to believe as a kid that I couldn't have a car, and that I would have to ride a uni-cycle because I was a 1%er. I thought getting 2 wheels kind of made me a 2%er.

now W has been a 1% most of his life, and it wasn't until recently he discovered the existence of the rear wheel...making him a 2%er by discovery.

·
Registered
943 Posts
"1%er" is commonly accepted as meaning those who live outside the law, both by bikers and the public. If you put a 1% diamond on your jacket, life is going to get interesting!

I grew up on southwestern Ontario and we formed a informal riding club about 1967 - it didn't last long! We were half way between HA in Detroit and SC in Toronto and both of them paid us a visit (separately) at the end of the first year and suggested we affiliate with them. We decided neither was a feasible option since either would leave us "on the front line" so we dissolved the riding club.

I was pretty far from being "a good girl" but I wanted nothing to do with outlaw gangs! It was unnerving to pass a group of 10 to 30 motorcycles, all wearing patches, and then watch the mirrors to see if they were coming back to see who the he!! the lone rider was!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts