Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a long time folks! I’m wondering who’s alive, who’s dead, and who’s still in here!

After I made the move over to a Royal Enfield with a Bullet sidecar, (yes you heard that right; that’s not a typo)….. well let’s just say everything fell apart.

Not literally, but I missed being out on the highways (the Royal Enfield topped out at about 55 mph with no windshield no cruise control… It was a real pain in the butt) and take a nice long rides with the wife. The Royal Enfield was fun and was quite a conversation piece, but that’s short-lived when it comes to enjoying long distance riding.
so I sold that brief interlude of a bike about three years ago, and the wife and I promised ourselves we would get another touring bike.

Not having achieved the purchase of a new touring bike at this point, and having fully retired, I’m torn. I’ve gone through all the different brands and looked at their version of touring bikes, and I suppose I could say that I have an idea for how I want to proceed, but I know it’s not gonna be anytime soon.

Given the fact I’m in the fourth quarter of my life, I don’t wanna wait too long before I pull the trigger, but who knows what the future has in store.
Here’s a walk around video that I did of the Royal Enfield, within a month of the purchase date:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hey I remember you. You might not remember me as my avatar has changed. Its great to hear from you and see your screen name up here again, hope you've been doing well. As you know many of us are getting to, or are already at that stage in our lives too. The RE's have become pretty popular since their quality has been getting much better over the years and with new models like the Himalayan. For the classic sidecar look and style, it doesnt get any better than the RE Bullets and the Triumph Bonnevilles. Dont be a stranger and keep us posted on what you decide on for a touring bike.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,162 Posts
'Bout time you climbed out of you hole and said hello. Probably less than half the old crowd left. Welcome back,

·
Aging & Worn
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zeb: you’ll be the first to know, when the
Next bike is in house.
Critter: yeah! It was getting pretty smelly
In that hole!
Krusty: I have a 10 year goal ( when I’m
75); to be playing my flute on
Stage at Carnegie Hall:

·
Visionary
5,063 Posts
Look who turned up! Welcome back

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
Welcome back soupy. I was so hoping your sidecar thing would have worked for you but I did have my doubts. Nothing ever stays the same so you have to try your own thing now and then.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sounds good, you're a regular Kenny G. You just might make Carnegie Hall.

·
Aging & Worn
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was….. for a short while. By the Grace of God, a gal came along who saw how much I needed to be accountable, and we married.

Reactions: Porky

·
Aging & Worn
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Welcome back soupy. I was so hoping your sidecar thing would have worked for you but I did have my doubts. Nothing ever stays the same so you have to try your own thing now and then.
It was a fun ride and I LOVED the uniqueness of it, but it’s all about the ride! That RE was just too much show and not enough give.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
You didn't notice because we kept talking about him anyway. Maybe???? :rolleyes::unsure:(y)

• Haha
Reactions: Critter

·
Short Fuse
422 Posts
Zeb: you’ll be the first to know, when the
Next bike is in house.
Critter: yeah! It was getting pretty smelly
In that hole!
Krusty: I have a 10 year goal ( when I’m
75); to be playing my flute on
Stage at Carnegie Hall:
That piece reminds me of a Moody Blues song...can't place it though.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,162 Posts
You don't want to know what was being said........

·
On The Road Again!
4,010 Posts
Soupy! Where ya been? Welcome back!

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,874 Posts
I'm still around, but at 78 life has changed for me. I recently sold the Goldwing which I had to reluctantly admit was just too much weight for me to handle with confidence. The riding was fine, it was the stopping that presented a challenge, with each stop a little bit of worry that this one might be the one where I tip over. And even with the "butt against the seat and push with your legs" method, the Goldwing was beyond my strength to pick up after a tip over. I was planning on just moving to a lighter bike, but after some real reflection about how much I enjoy going for rides with my wife as passenger, and with her statements that she was not about to go back to perching on a little pillion seat just to ride with me, I changed my plans. Now I am the owner of a new Can Am Spyder, and while it is quite different from a "real" motorcycle, it is both fun to ride and confidence inspiring. And I like the semi-automatic transmission which still gives me control of the gears but eliminated the need for the clutch lever.

Now my big challenge is my license. At over 75, Illinois requires a "road" test for license renewal, something I must accomplish by the end of this month (or just start riding unlicensed). The test is done in the parking lot of the motor vehicle office and I must admit that although I am very comfortable with my new three wheeler, just the concept of failing this test has kept me awake at night. And combined with the reality that recovery from ANYTHING takes a heck of a lot longer when you are old, has made my life more "interesting" than I would like. A recent fall while tending the garden has left me bruised and sore and still recovering a week later. I recently started volunteering with a hospice organization, visiting fellow veterans who need a bit of companionship. I feel it is one way that I can contribute to others, but the reality that the two vets I am now working with are both younger than I am, yet are in the dying process (that is why they are hospice patients) sometimes pushes my thoughts to where I would prefer not to go.

But for now I am still riding (albeit on 3 wheels) and very glad to see you back among the living and riding here on the forum!

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 20 of 48 Posts