Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine who is in Mali doing army stuff owns a Kawa Z800. Because he is away for 4 months his bike is staying in my garage. Nice and dry... you would think..

Well apparently it seems my roof is leaking a bit. Which ended up on his bike. It left this very gnarly layer on the paint.

I'm not able to post a link because of these forum rules. So i have no idea how to show it!

I feel pretty bad because his bike is also new and i cant get it off myself. I hope someone has an idea how to get it off! I would be very thankful! He doesn't yet know about this and i want to get it off before he gets back. Most of this is on his tank which is made of some sort of plastic.

I hope someone can help me!

Rick

Sorry for my English, I'm from the Netherlands!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit: I've changed my profile pic so i can show it to you. I hope i am not breaking any rules by doing so. I could just really need some help!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Yeah, Dods is right..........ya gotta start somewhere. I'd use something that was designed for being non-abrasive to metal surfaces.

You could even try some basic soap and water. The paint (especially Stock paint jobs) is likely very cured at this point, and can handle a bit of soap-n-water...........with a soft clothe mind you!

It would help if you had some idea of what it is that could have leaked on the bike, ............What's up there?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Probably just a calcium deposit but we do have some nasty acidic rain these days. Since it is basically on the plastic side panels you can probably use a soft brush as well. You may have to use a final step after you get the bulk off of using something for plastic with restores plastic like Back To Black. In fact that might be your first step since that product restores black plastic trim.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would fess up first. Offer to have the bike detailed. You don't want to do more damage trying to hide the damage that's already there. As a friend, I would be pissed if I found out someone covered up something on me. I'd rather have honesty than trickery...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hate to state the obvious but Tell him what happened, wash the bike and try a automotive bug and Tar cleaner then rewax the surface when done.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
After a good watch, try a clay bar with a spray wax. After you tell him

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I don't think anyone is suggesting NOT to tell him. To me that's a given. In the mean time you do what you can. Leaving it there could cause more harm since we don't know exactly what it is. Just a wash may take it off. My shop sometimes drips and leaves a stain like that and just washing the area takes care of it. Treating like your own is in order provided you take care of your stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts