Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,519 Posts
140 and being passed? A little too fast for me on 2 wheels

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike doing 142 is a stock 60th Anniversary Yamaha R6. At the elevation of 9,110 feet that is much as he can get. The best the Aprilia RSV4RF (minor modifications) can get is 177 mph. My 2012 XZ14r (carbon slip-ons, ECU flashed) will do somewhere just more than 180. I say somewhere, because these are all speedometer readings, which of course are off a bit, so when my Ninja is almost touching 190, I figure it's probably doing a little bit over 180.

Our mile stretch is actually a mile and half with a shallow uphill and a slight left hand sweeper at the end for slow down. We run it on a weekday (less traffic), use 2-way radios with spotters at both ends to clear the traffic before a run. Most days there is a strong cross wind making it a bit dangerous above 160. The R6 can do easy 160+ in the valley elevation, the Aprilia in the high 190's and the Ninja about 200. Again these are speedometer readings and none of them go to 200!! so it's all a guess until we can get to a mile run track day.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
135 was the best I did with my 88 BMW. It had much more as I had one more gear to go but the telephone poles going by like fence poles and the thought of a blowout made me back off.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
When I listen to Slow Ride, that's what I usually end up doing. About 5 to 10 MPH below the speed limit.
My top speed, 135 by GPS. On an old ZX11 Ninja, then I started worrying about cops, old parts, deer, etc. etc. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I listen to Slow Ride, that's what I usually end up doing. About 5 to 10 MPH below the speed limit.
My top speed, 135 by GPS. On an old ZX11 Ninja, then I started worrying about cops, old parts, deer, etc. etc. :)
All good reasons for keeping the speed down.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I would still like to ride a large sport bike, flat out, top speed, one time, just to see what that feels like.
After saying that, if I ever got the chance I'd probably chicken out before I got to 150, but that would be okay too. ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would still like to ride a large sport bike, flat out, top speed, one time, just to see what that feels like.
After saying that, if I ever got the chance I'd probably chicken out before I got to 150, but that would be okay too. ;)
I've longed to become a certifies member of the 200 mph club, but it just is not been working out where I live now. Every couple years a promoter sets up a mile run at the Springerville, Arizona airport, as they have a 1.5 mile runway. But the airport elevation is 7,000 feet and I doubt my bike would do 200 at that elevation, close, but close doesn't get me into the club! The next closet I have heard of one being in Colorado and the other in Texas. Both are a far ways for me to travel and get the support I need to make a few runs at it.

There are a few roads in the Phoenix Metro area I used to run high speed when I lived down there. They are about 1,500 feet elevation and close enough I could take a few days to set it up with some friends and use a GPS to clock my speed. If I got a GPS reading in excess of 205, I would feel pretty confident I actually broke 200, but that still doesn't compete with a clock on a measured course.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
You're not that far from the salt flats in Utah, are you? I haven't been out there since the mid 60's when I was just a kid so I don't know how much it could have changed but I remember the word "wasteland" seemed to fit.
Who knows, it might all be apartment buildings and churches now. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're not that far from the salt flats in Utah, are you? I haven't been out there since the mid 60's when I was just a kid so I don't know how much it could have changed but I remember the word "wasteland" seemed to fit.
Who knows, it might all be apartment buildings and churches now. :)
Good suggestion. I've never been to the flats. I probably don't want to invest that much into it, rather just make a few adjustment preps on the bike and squeeze into some leathers to do it on pavement, but my grandpa always said, "never say never"!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts