Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is right forum for this, so, Mods, please work your magic if need be.

We need to get an electric winch for our car hauler. We're looking for the kind that plugs into the winch plug on the back of our truck. I haul my bike on the trailer, but I've always had help loading and unloading. I want to be able to do it myself, so we need something suitable to be able to attach to the bike somehow. Has anyone else ever tried this? I appreciate everyone's help!

·
American Legion Rider
23,178 Posts
Forget the winch and get a true one person loading ramp.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forget the winch and get a true one person loading ramp.

Neat, but no. I might haul the bike somewhere once a year. I have a Baxley chock and a little ramp that nestles up to the dovetail nicely. I'm not comfortable loading the bike under power, but I'm also a wienee girl so I don't trust myself to do it unassisted. We need a winch anyway, so I'm thinking if we can get one with some kind of remote , I can find a way to attach it to the bike and slowly pull it along for loading, and to keep it from rolling down the ramp too fast when unloading.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,455 Posts
I've got WARN winches on my ATV's. They've all came with remote leads, mine are tethered leads. They've been abused and have yet to fail.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I've seen a trailer that has a bed that drops flat on the ground, then a small wench, like on a boat trailer, is used the hike the bed back up. I don't recall what the cost was but it might be something that would be of interest.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
A winch on the front, may act the same as someone pushing the rear. It can tend to pull the bike forward, but also sideways / down. The efect would be less with the winch connected lower on the bike, at about front axel height.
I am basing this on the times I have pushed or pulled, or had someone pushing. Also trying to draw a picture in my head of the winch pulling. Auto stores should have a winch. A 500 pound pull should be enough. UK

·
Shadow Moderator
1,223 Posts
So if your bike has a hollow front axle (mine does) you could make a harness from some steel cable to thread through the axle and connect to the winch cable.

·
On The Road Again!
3,747 Posts
I've seen a trailer that has a bed that drops flat on the ground, then a small wench, like on a boat trailer, is used the hike the bed back up. I don't recall what the cost was but it might be something that would be of interest.
A small wench?? Post a picture of her!!
...in a bikini of course!!

Reactions: Porky

·
8,447 Posts
I hate to give them advertising but Harbor freight sells winches and some of the newer ones have WIRELESS remotes which would be cool.

Get one bigger than you need Lori.

Sam:)

·
Secret Agent
2,455 Posts
I thought about mentioning harbor freight, but I knew how Sam felt about them. I think Sam has turned liberal 🤔🤭😁

A rather cheap buddy of mine has had the hf winches, they tend to not like water and mud. And I believe they have a 90 day warranty. If you keep them dry, they might last you awhile. I'd definitely get a 2000lb or better. My rancher atvs have a 2500 and 3000 lb winch on them. But might need to lug them up a rough incline or out of sticky mud.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if your bike has a hollow front axle (mine does) you could make a harness from some steel cable to thread through the axle and connect to the winch cable.
A winch on the front, may act the same as someone pushing the rear. It can tend to pull the bike forward, but also sideways / down. The efect would be less with the winch connected lower on the bike, at about front axel height.
I am basing this on the times I have pushed or pulled, or had someone pushing. Also trying to draw a picture in my head of the winch pulling. Auto stores should have a winch. A 500 pound pull should be enough. UK
I was thinking that some kind of a harness or something would be necessary for stability. I'll have to look it over carefully. Luckily, my husband and father-in-law are good at MacGuyvering things.

We need to get a heavy duty one because we're likely to need to pull heavy things on there. We sure could've used one when my son crashed his car into a street sweeper (From the phone: "Mom! I crashed my car! There was this big cloud of DUST!!") and broke the left axle.🤬🤬🤬 Luckily, the county guys were cool and pulled it onto the trailer with big bucket truck. We also have some friends who are moving and need to haul a non-running tractor which will need to be winched onto the trailer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course, if I just bat my eyes at the other guys who are at the track with me for the street school, this will all be unnecessary.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400
46 Posts
You should check out the winches they offer at Harbor Freight. They have a few that are more than capable of pulling your bike up and they have remote controls too. That would be a big help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am hoping people more mechanically inclined than myself can expound or explain this, but when you’re buying a winch I have been told that the pound rating is only for the first loop around and as that wire builds /gets thicker up you “lose power” ( is that a good way to say it? Help me out here please!).

Think of changing Lugnuts on your car. The farther you grab out on the lug wrench the more mechanical advantage you have. Same way with the winch except it is working against you instead of for you. It may or may not be much, but if you only buy a500 pound winch you could find it isn’t enough at the end...

·
Secret Agent
2,455 Posts
Two words.

Snatch block pulley

·
American Legion Rider
23,178 Posts

·
Secret Agent