Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
This is my petcock for the intruder 1400
Can you tell me if where the blue arrow is pointing is the indicator? on the oppisite side of the lever there is an arrow,,,so is the lever the indicator or the little arrow the indicator of which setting its on
SO in my photo the lever is pointing to ON,,,,but oppsite the little arrow is pointing to reserve

So is this in the On position ATM and not the reserve?

TY

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whats stamped on the petcock behind the lever?
Short word, starts w an O so it appears to be in the On position.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not my question,,,,,there is a lever and an arrow, the arrow is oppsite side of the lever,,,,,is the LEVER itself the indicator of being on,,,OR is it the arrow opposite the lever?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Thats not my question,,,,,there is a lever and an arrow, the arrow is oppsite side of the lever,,,,,is the LEVER itself the indicator of being on,,,OR is it the arrow opposite the lever?
We can't see the bottom side of the petcock from that one picture. Perhaps you could turn the lever down and take a second photo, so we could see the arrow on that side?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok heres the arrow, now im thinking on this bike that the arrow is the indicator,,,,on the petcock ON is top,,,,,OFF is right,,and RESERVE is bottom
the HANDLE will not go to all 3 settings,,,but the ARROW will,,,thats what making me thing arrow is indicator,if I rotate the handle right the arrow will point to all 3,,IDEAS?

TY

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The manual I have is different that this one, mine does not have that,,,,,when I looked at it I figured it out because you could not turn it certain way and only the arrow would point to all 3,,,,thanks for the help,,,now I feel better about NOT running out of gas HAHA

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I've never tried to see how far I could go on reserve, but I always got far enough! ;)

Now once I was riding in Wyoming on a bike that didn't have a reserve on it, it had a low fuel warning light. I didn't worry too much at first when it came on, but after 10 or 15 miles, on a loaded down touring bike, riding two up, I did start wondering how far my wife could push. But that wasn't necessary. We made it to a gas station. (And the last 1/4 mile was downhill!)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,263 Posts
Simple test.

remove the hose from the petcock then put the arrow on closed. If the fuel stops you now know. If it doesn't then try the lever.

Reactions: NHDad

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 “Thirteen”
18 Posts
Nice work. I too have been confused on petcock settings. My son ‘broke down’ 35 miles from home. I got there with the trailer and a gas can as quick as I could. He was a little embarrassed but we were both elated that the gas can fixed the bike! He was riding on reserve. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Nice work. I too have been confused on petcock settings. My son ‘broke down’ 35 miles from home. I got there with the trailer and a gas can as quick as I could. He was a little embarrassed but we were both elated that the gas can fixed the bike! He was riding on reserve. Lesson learned.
He wasn't the first one that ever happened to. In my case it was run out of gas, switch to reserve, fill up at gas station and ride till it runs out again. Ut-oh! Forgot to turn the petcock back to "ON" after filling up. (And I know I'm not the only one that happened to.)

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,651 Posts
Lol, my oldest boy would take my crf230l out to country cruise and get experience before taking his riding test at the DMV. Relatively hot summer day he comes out and goes for a spin. Couple hours later he comes in the front door soaking wet from sweat, I says where'd you come from, didn't hear him ride in. He says we'll, he ran out of gas about a mile away from the house, decided just to push it on home.

I says did you turn it to reserve? The look on his face was priceless. Walked out to garage, turned it to reserved, fired right up.

It was a good life lesson.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts