Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I own a 1999 50cc LC Malaguti F15 Firefox and I'm trying to figure out which is the best type of 2 stroke oil to use. Mineral, semi synthetic or full synthetic?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Does it have oil injection or is it pre-mix?
Other then that it's brand preference and from experience some oils make more smoke and leave more residue in the exhaust system then others. What are your local options for supply?

I have had good luck with amsoil interceptor on injector or amsoil sabre for pre-mix, but maybe you can't even get that where you reside

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't pre-mix so I guess injected. I've just been using Carlube semi synthetic 2 stroke oil but it seems to leave residue in exhaust. First thing in the morning for a few hundred yards it misfires abit and leaves blue smoke in its wake. I'm definitely going to buy a better product just not sure wether to go for semi or full synthetic or does ot even matter?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Can you get Motul, Ipone, Belray, or Silkolene I know those all make great 2-stroke oil, out of those the silkolene will make the exhaust drool black stuff the most and the Ipone smells like strawberries

What fuel octane do you use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard of Motul and Silkoline yes and I think the fuel octane is E10.
I've read that mineral based oils burn faster than synthetic and lately I'm only driving for 30 mins a day so couldn't I end up with more residue in my exhaust than before with fully synthetic?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Can't be helped past a point. SOME smoke will be apparent as you ARE burning oil with the fuel. Specific oil injection oil is lighter in weight at ambient temperature to go through the pump easier. You need full synthetic to not cause piston scarring at higher revs, non-syn oil will cause piston skirt damage much easier than syn. As well you need the syn to combat the basic property of ethanol in the fuel which stops oil from sticking to metal parts. Ethanol in fuel is death to 2 strokes, it wears them out quicker. I myself always used to turn the oil pump amount up a little higher to combat it.

The industry can not run oil at some of the ratios suggested now like 50:1 or even higher with non-syn oil, the engine will lock up from seizure if you buzz it hard. You can find that out the hard way like I did if you want. Full syn oil is the only product that can go that low and still keep engine together.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Full synthetic burns cleaner because you can run it at leaner ratios, you can adjust your oil metering on an injected 2-stroke to add more or less oil.
E10 I assume means low octane containing 10% or better ethanol and ethanol absorbs its weight in water out of the air, adding more oil isn't going to solve that issue, and I think your motorcycle has a small high compression engine. You should check the owner manual and make sure the octane you are using is appropriate and your own experience is going to be the true test of what works with your local fuel and oil options. My 2-Stroke calls for 98 octane plus 1% synthetic oil and that does work good, there are very few oils that you can run at 100:1 and all of them are synthetic so it's an easy decision for myself, ymmv
Keep in mind when you add more oil it also reduces the fuel octane and gas line anti-freeze is actually isopropyl alcohol. The cure for water in your fuel when you bought ethanol fuel is to add more alcohol lol

·
Registered
2022 T120, V7lll Special
61 Posts
Also make sure the oil you use is for air-cooled engines. Marine oil Is different, flash points are different. I would stay away from those labeled for both.
kk

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have run Lucas semi synthetic in my Suzuki FA50 with oil injection for the last 13 years.
Just fill the reservoir a couple times a year and ride .
And , premix in my 1957 Simplex Automatic .
Low smoke and very little build up .

I ride almost every day . No Worries .
O'Reillys has it on the shelf as well as many other places .

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Recommend oil ratio for the oil you are currently using is 32:1 and E10 fuel has low energy so there is little wonder it smokes a lot, there is a lot of unburnt oil going through the engine.
Oil injection typically varies the oil to fuel ratio from 25:1 at low throttle openings and up to about 70:1 at full throttle, or similar numbers to those will be given in the service manual. They will also tell you how to adjust that up or down on the pump, it will be a simple cable adjustment.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Well there is your answer right in the owner manual:
CITY BIKE ULTRA Interamente sintetico di altissima qualità per chi richiede il massimo delle prestazioni e ha bisogno della massima protezione. Assicura una perfetta pulizia del motore e bassa fumosità allo scarico.

full synthetic oil is recommended and your little scoot has 12:1 compression ratio, it would benefit from better fuel and oil then what you have been using to date.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
497 Posts
Synthetic for sure .

Lawnmower shops always have good quality two smoke oil....

Reactions: Scootforfun

·
Registered
670 Posts
There is no such thing as a 12:1 compression ratio on a 2 stroke, it is uncorrected ratio like a 4 stroke and inaccurate as it does not reflect exhaust port opening way early. Figure it right and you get maybe 8:1 which is unreal high for a 2 stroke. 7.5:1 is considered high.

Yes to post #13, if I don't see at least hint of smoke I'm worried.

·
Premium Member
10,271 Posts
A Google search for the best two stroke injector oils, will usually list Lucas.
I do not usually touch the injector pump. fiddled with it on my 250 Suzuki years ago. Not much difference.
Also years ago, with points ignition, the plugs would foul every few months.
I run 32 to one for air cooled, and 50 to one for liquid cooled. Some outboard motor oil, like the OMC stuff made by Castrol, has anti rust stuff in it. This is for premix, not the new OMC injector. Different and sad story. Many owners manage to get water in the piston. They last much longer with the anti rust stuff in it. 5 years on cheap brand X oil, 15 to 20 years on good stuff. My Evinrude 6 horse is about a 1974 vintage. For the stroke road race bikes we read the plugs.
My 79 Kawasaki 100 smokes. Groovy. The post above seems in error to me. I would like more oil at higher revs and higher load. Less oil for no load and lower revs. The injector cable opens the pump, so it pumps more oil, same as the throttle cable opens the slide. 2 strokes should probably seize after the throttle is closed, at high revs and hard braking, but there is always a residue on the piston walls and in the crank bearings. UK

·
Registered
2022 T120, V7lll Special
61 Posts
I am sure that is static measured CR, as Trials said actual will be much lower because of open ports. None of our two stroke racing outboards were over 8:1. I used to chuckle when guys would buy race gas. The only time race gas was needed was during championship events where ethanol was prohibited.
kk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts