Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out by saying that I have been riding bikes for a long time. I'm 32 and I have ridden everything from a 50cc moped to a turbo'd zx12r.
I sold my last bike over the winter. It was a gsx-r 1000 which I loved but it had almost 50k on it and it was time to let it go.

I'm looking for something new. My gsx-r was a 2002, and my zx12r was a 2005. I haven't really had anything newer.

I have about 10k saved up and I want to get something nice. I have been looking into a zx14r and right now that is the top of my list, but I honestly liked my gsx-r better then my ninja.

Really I'm open to any suggestions. I want fast and loud haha

What are you guys preference and why? Thanks

·
Ace Tuner
2,000 Posts
I want fast and loud haha
If it ain't loud you can go a whole lot faster... (Without getting caught, tickets and/or arrested as often).
Anyway,
Get yourself the latest high end Yamaha R6.
Way fast, high tech, great handing, light weight, low center of gravity and small enough to flick around with ease.
And it's not a Kawasaki or Suzuki, not there's anything to very much wrong with those, really..?. Lol

S F

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have been looking into a zx14r and right now that is the top of my list, but I honestly liked my gsx-r better then my ninja.
If you were happy with your Gixer liter bike, you will most likely find a 600 sportbike a bit anemic. There is no doubt the zx14r will provide bunches of power and speed and the exhaust sound is an option of slip-ons. If the zx14r is at the top of your list I would assume you are more interested in straight line and big sweepers rather than the tight twisties and switchbacks. If that is the case, the zx14r will give you everything you are looking for at a very reasonable price even from a stock bike. It's about 192 HP and 118 ft pounds of torque to the rear wheel stock. With a few inexpensive mod's at sea level, you can even approach 200 hp and 200 mph. Yet the bike is a very smooth riding and comfortable when you keep the rpm's below 7K, which is doing triple digit cruising. Break the 7K rpm mark in any gear and it's a missile which needs respect.

If that is the type of power you seek, but also like to attack the twisties, there are a few suspension setups that will make the bike more enjoyable, depending on your height and weight with gear. I'm only 5'7" and about 155 geared up. Both my 06' zx14 and 12' zx14r I have raised the forks in the triple tree and stiffen the preload a bit and run S22 tires. They both behave very well in the canyons. Both have carbon pipes and both I have had the ECU flashed. They are comfy to ride long distance (my wife especially likes them when we are 2-up), yet they both have get up and go by the bunches.

With your budget you should be able to find a wide selection of low mileage and later model (get a 2013 or later) zx14r's some with minor mod's and some still stock. Look for 1 owner bike and the owner is one of us older guys, as they usually have been raced less and not as much abused. Good luck with your buying selection, I love bike shopping!!

·
American Legion Rider
19,373 Posts
Look for 1 owner bike and the owner is one of us older guys, as they usually have been raced less and not as much abused.
Yeah, someone like Porky who seems to get a new bike at least twice a year. Not really but he’s the type you want to find if you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were happy with your Gixer liter bike, you will most likely find a 600 sportbike a bit anemic. There is no doubt the zx14r will provide bunches of power and speed and the exhaust sound is an option of slip-ons. If the zx14r is at the top of your list I would assume you are more interested in straight line and big sweepers rather than the tight twisties and switchbacks. If that is the case, the zx14r will give you everything you are looking for at a very reasonable price even from a stock bike. It's about 192 HP and 118 ft pounds of torque to the rear wheel stock. With a few inexpensive mod's at sea level, you can even approach 200 hp and 200 mph. Yet the bike is a very smooth riding and comfortable when you keep the rpm's below 7K, which is doing triple digit cruising. Break the 7K rpm mark in any gear and it's a missile which needs respect.

If that is the type of power you seek, but also like to attack the twisties, there are a few suspension setups that will make the bike more enjoyable, depending on your height and weight with gear. I'm only 5'7" and about 155 geared up. Both my 06' zx14 and 12' zx14r I have raised the forks in the triple tree and stiffen the preload a bit and run S22 tires. They both behave very well in the canyons. Both have carbon pipes and both I have had the ECU flashed. They are comfy to ride long distance (my wife especially likes them when we are 2-up), yet they both have get up and go by the bunches.

With your budget you should be able to find a wide selection of low mileage and later model (get a 2013 or later) zx14r's some with minor mod's and some still stock. Look for 1 owner bike and the owner is one of us older guys, as they usually have been raced less and not as much abused. Good luck with your buying selection, I love bike shopping!!

Thank you for an awesome response.

The thing I liked most about my gsx-r was it seemed like it had a lower center of gravity. When I rode my zx12r I felt like it was too tall. I was almost nervous to really get into a turn because I felt like I was going to dump it with it sitting up so high. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to. How does the zx14r sit? How is the cornering? I have def been leaning towards the zx14r and I have seen quite a few nice ones for around 8k. I just wanna make sure that its def what I want before I go spend that kind of money on it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thank you for an awesome response.

The thing I liked most about my gsx-r was it seemed like it had a lower center of gravity. When I rode my zx12r I felt like it was too tall. I was almost nervous to really get into a turn because I felt like I was going to dump it with it sitting up so high. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to. How does the zx14r sit? How is the cornering? I have def been leaning towards the zx14r and I have seen quite a few nice ones for around 8k. I just wanna make sure that its def what I want before I go spend that kind of money on it.
Thank You for questions, but realize you are asking the devil, so take everything with a grain of salt and ride one before buying if you can arrange that. Not to many zx14 owners will allow a drive because they are just a beast of power. However, you may at least get a test drive from a seller if you have the cash in hand.

I bought the first 2006 ZX14 (red) delivered in the Phoenix area about 10 minutes after they uncrated it and had it ready for the showroom. It was sold after putting 40K miles on it in a time I needed to liquidate to make a move. About 3 years ago I purchased another 2006 ZX14 (blue) with 5K miles for about the same amount of money ($5K) and about 3 months after that I bought a 2012 ZX14r with 6K miles for about $6,500. Between all of them I have about a total 100K miles. I know them well, and my wife who often rides 2-up with me prefers them more than any of the other 25-30 bikes I have owned.

I've never owned a gzx-r, although drove one many years ago. They are agile and fast. I like them but just not that much. The zx14r is based on the zx14 chassis, which was based on the zx12r chassis. If you felt high on the 12r it may be because you need to relax and trust the bike. It's not a light and agile track bike, but for being a hyper bike it comes very close and is amazingly controllable in the twisties. One of the best improvements you can make to a gen II zx14r (2012 and later) is to pull off the pipes and replace them with carbon or replace the entire exhaust system with a 4:1 carbon. Really just replacing the factory cans with carbon slip-on's is the best and cheapest and then have the ecu reflashed with a fuel map for the pipes or get an ecu flash and add a pc5 for fuel mapping. Replacing the factory cans with carbons will reduce the curb weight down to about dry weight. It improves the handling and a lighter bike performs a bit better. (NOTE: replacing the factory cans with carbon slip-ons will remove the catalytic converter, so if you live in a state that demands emission testing, this may not be an option.)

If the bike you buy doesn't have hyper tires, get a set as soon as you can afford it, they make that much difference. I'm running Hypersport S22's front and rear on both bikes and they perform both street and track. I get between 7K-8K miles from the rear tire and always switch both even though the front still has some life. The bike will lean, it likes it as well as going straight. After riding for a while and feel you want it a bit more responsive going into corners, lower the trip tree 3/8 to 1/2 an inch, no more. It will slip in and out of turns much easier. Guys have gone as far as 3/4", but I advise approaching that with caution and in small increments to get used to the change. I found 3/8" to be the magic number for me. (NOTE: make sure to check the triple tree location, as this is a popular modification and the previous owner may have already lowered it, I suggest downloading a PDF service manual, they specs will be listed so you can check before making any adjustments).

The throttle is super smooth, the brakes are very good, it is comfortable for long rides and very sporty, and like the 12r you can get into legal troubles pretty fast twisting the throttle, but you already know that stuff. The zx14r is the most capable bike I have ever owned, but I like that kind of bike. Your mileage may vary, good shopping!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're probably right about me just not trusting the bike. My zx12r was bought with a full turbo set up and was just stupidly fast. I never had it dyno'd but it made my buddies 2017 cbr 1000rr look like a moped. I don't think anyone can ever feel fully comfortable on something like that.

My gsxr was a 2002 and only had about 140 horsepower and was quite a bit slower. Maybe that's why I felt more comfortable hitting the turns with it.

I have been seeing quite a few fully built zx14r's with power commanders and full exhaust systems for between 8-9k. That is where my mind is at right now. Newer gsxr's are approaching 15k and I don't have that much and I don't really wanna get into a payment after putting 10k down. My wife would kill me, haha.

I really believe that the most bang for my buck is gonna be the zx14r.

·
Registered
333 Posts
@BrokenArrow if it were me and I had 10K to invest, I would search for the right bike in around that 8K mark and take the rest and invest in the most important gear you will ever have for your motorcycle, that is 'yourself'. Take an advanced riders class at YCRS or similar school. The training is pricey, but well worth the investment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went to a dealer today to look at a zx14r. I loved the way it felt. I didn't get to take it on the road but it felt good to sit on. Kinda has a "in the middle type of feeling" def not as aggressive of a stance as my gsxr but in a way that might be a good thing. It has the nice comfy feeling with a sport bike attitude.

They wanted 9k and it had 18k miles on it. I felt like I could do better and I turned it down. I really did like the feel of it though, I think I'm pretty much sold. I want one. I just think 9k for a 18k bike is alittle pricey.

·
Registered
333 Posts
They wanted 9k and it had 18k miles on it.
If you are handy with auto DIY, have some standard tools, a place to work, and the time, you may want to stay away from the dealers. On the other hand, if not there may be an advantage to a dealer if they have a descent service department. For example.....

• For that price they should offer you some type of warranty, which may be of value for a used bike, maybe 30, 60, or 90 days. What ever it is try to get as much ride time as you can in the period to detect if anything is going bad. At any rate assure the warranty at least covers the engine and drive train.
  • The zx14r valve check is due at 15K miles. I am assuming this bike has not had that. If not, maybe the dealer will included a 15K mile service including the valve check.
  • For that price you may also be able to have them add an oil, filter (include an air filter as well) change in the future. Some salesman will throw in service department freebees to get the sale, other not so much.
If you haven't already downloaded a pdf owners manual and pdf service manual, do it and read the service and maintenance sections for sure. Do a Google search they are available, just make sure it is for a 14r and not the 14. All the manuals are the same for the generation II ZX14r's.

Check the chain tension and especially the rear sprocket (the front sprocket is difficult to inspect on the showroom floor, but the rear is in plain view. In the owners manual there are examples of a new sprocket and a worn sprocket. If the sprocket on this bike looks well used and needs replacement you know the previous owner(s) were running the bike hard. You should get 25K-30K miles (some a lot more) unless the bike has been raced.

My first ZX14, that I bought new I put almost 40K miles on and never did have the valve clearance checked, I didn't have the space to do it myself nor the time do it it or put it in the shop. It was still running strong when I sold it. My second ZX14 I had the valve clearance checked at about 19K and they were all within spec. I have about 25K on the zx14r and haven't as yet checked the valve clearance! This is pretty typical with zx14r owners, they either don't check the valve clearance per the factory schedule or when they do, the valves are within spec. I met an old dude this past summer riding a 2006 ZX14 that he bought new in 2006 a few months after I bought my first one. According to him he never checked the valves and the only service he did other than oil, filter, and fluid changes was to replace the clutch plates at about 70 miles, he had over a 100K miles on his bike. Was he telling the truth, seemed like an honest guy with no reason to lie.

If the bike hasn't been abused (doesn't mean it wasn't run fast, that is what they are designed to do) at 18K miles it will be running as new. If the dealer has the service records from the previous owner(s) that may be a valuable bonus. Most dealers will not include service records even if the previous owner offered it to them, as sometimes they are a bag of worms. I very seldom will buy a used bike without a service trail of paperwork and that paperwork should at least include oil changes, tire changes, paperwork on accessories added, and other details. If there are no long gaps in service intervals it is a pretty good indicator the previous owner takes good care of his bikes. Anyway just some of my ideas and you probably know all this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with them asking about their warranty. They told me 30 days but they might be able to work something out with me if I wanted a longer one. This is a 2014 zx14r with 18k for 8,995.

I just saw on facebook market place that a guy about a hour from me has a 2017 zx14r for sale with only 400 miles on it. He also wants 8,995. I just messaged him and he confirmed that it has only four hundred miles on it and it is just too much bike for him.

Obviously 3 years newer and considerably less miles is pretty appealing. I was trying to go with a dealer because I assumed their would be a warranty but honestly if it is only 30 days then it almost doesn't even seem worth it.

I'm gonna be going and checking out the 2017 over the weekend.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just got off the phone with them asking about their warranty. They told me 30 days but they might be able to work something out with me if I wanted a longer one. This is a 2014 zx14r with 18k for 8,995.

I just saw on facebook market place that a guy about a hour from me has a 2017 zx14r for sale with only 400 miles on it. He also wants 8,995. I just messaged him and he confirmed that it has only four hundred miles on it and it is just too much bike for him.

Obviously 3 years newer and considerably less miles is pretty appealing. I was trying to go with a dealer because I assumed their would be a warranty but honestly if it is only 30 days then it almost doesn't even seem worth it.

I'm gonna be going and checking out the 2017 over the weekend.
Yes, I would jump on it quick, but not letting him know I'm quick. Most likely he will be a bit older, good sign, and if the bike has been laid down, that will be good. Good luck for the buy. By the way you didn't give the year of that dealer bike, a 2014 model I agree would be a bit steep, or at best not that great of a deal. The 2017 model on the other hand I would be interested in so don't tell me where it's at!!!!

·
American Legion Rider
19,373 Posts
Well good luck on your find. And as BK suggests, keep an open mind.(y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Throw a leg over a Blackbird. An old one usually has low miles like mine has 20k on its clock. I gave 4k for it. Just a thought.

Edit: PS, they don't make them new anymore anywhere but I still love them.
The Super Blackbird was a great bike and fast in it's day. Compared to other bikes, the Busa, ZX14r, H2, etc. it's not that fast any more but still a great bike. I think in 1999-2000 they went to fuel injection so you might want to avoid earlier models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked into the h2 but holy hell are they expensive. I also read alot of reviews saying they are basically the same specs as the zx14r.

I would guess that the h2 would be easier to mod because it already has the supercharger on it and it is probably much easier to pull more power out of then a n/a bike. But stock for stock I have been seeing alot of reviews that they are very close.

·
Registered
333 Posts
@BrokenArrow , yes I agree. The curb weight, wheel base, rake and trail, tires, seat height, clip-on reach and power are all very similar. Other than a few electronics, the only thing I see in the H2 that I don't have and have never had in a bike is the supercharger, and because of that the H2 is still at the top of my list, followed by the H2 SX SE, a Ducati and the new 2020 Ninja 1000 SX, none of which are that much better than my zx14r and all are much more expensive. But, I need a list and from time to time I try something different and always seem to come back to the zx14!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I know I'm kinda resurrecting a old dead thread of mine but -

I think I finally found what I was looking for. zx14r 2013 with only 1900 miles on it. Not a typo nineteen hundred miles.

guys starting number is 7800. I'm going to look at it over the weekend. Pretty sure shes gonna be coming home with me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
@BrokenArrow , depending on how it has been kept the past 7 years, with that mileage the starting price of $7800 isn't that far out of line. If it has been kept in a dry climate and/or heated garage with all the paperwork which should include a breakin service, you may have a golden deal on your hands. The deal should at least be good for a couple hundred off that price and maybe even a lot more. Good Luck with he shopping.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts