Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really miss my 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom that I sold about a year ago (?) to one of our forum members here and I've been reading about this cool Versys 300 for a great little back road and rural bike to explore the Ozarks!

I'd appreciate any info especially from owners.

Tank you:)

Sam

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZEBRA, is it you that has one?????
Sam:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,521 Posts
<<<<<crickets>>>> I hear crickets

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see this thread until just now. Yep, its me, I have the Versys X-300. What would you like to know about it?

With quick release luggage.

Without the luggage for trail riding.

With the Harley & Moto Guzzi for size comparison.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Its not my daily rider, I use the VX300 as a trail bike for exploring and I've set it up as my fishing bike. Its great for accessing those ponds and lakes out in the middle of nowhere where you cant get other vehicles. Its a fun machine that allows me to ride on the streets, to access those trails instead of trailering the bike to some location to ride off road. Its not a dirt bike and doesn't have dirt bike capabilities, its a full sized light lightweight adventure bike that will easily handle reasonable off road duties as long as you keep in mind that you're not on a dirt bike. Since its so light weight, its easy to move in and out of the garage or motorcycle room, which makes it handy for running local errands and maneuvering around in heavy city traffic as long as its not bumper to bumper stop & go type traffic. Because of that, it is my go to bike for those occasional local errand duties. Another plus it that it has the lowest seat height of any adventure bike out there. Its an easy bike to maintain and comes with that Japanese reliability, it has needed nothing repaired or replaced since I've owned it. It comes pretty well equipped and there's a lot of aftermarket accessories available for it both from Kawasaki and other manufacturers, I have added a few accessories. It has a 4.5 gallon fuel tank and gets great gas mileage, anywhere from 50 to 73 miles per gallon, depending on how you ride it and where in the rev range you ride it. Its an inexpensive bike to purchase. For the money its a keeper and you get a lot of bang for it.
Some of the negatives:
First my biggest gripe. The seat is the worst factory seat of any bike that I've ever owned, its like sitting on a concrete block. You might have noticed in a couple of the photo's either an Airhawk pad or a Gel pad on the seat, its definitely required for any riding over an hour long, its the number one complaint from owners about this bike, its bad. It has the Ninja motor in it, so its the only factory production 300cc bike that will do triple digits speed that I'm aware of. I've taken it to 100 mph once just to see if it would do it. It did it, but it took some time to get there from 80 mph and on. Its a very high revving engine, it redlines at 12,300 RPM's and that's where you're at @ 100 MPH. Its not a high speed bike, the motor is most comfortable at 60 to 75 mph, 80 mph and higher you'll experience some buzzing. It has a six speed transmission with a slipper clutch. Its very low geared, which makes it great for off road duty, but sometimes not so much for the street, especially if its 5pm stop & go urban city traffic because it requires a lot of shifts.

Here's a couple of reviews that makes for good reading on the bike, one of them is a comparison (shootout) between the Royal Enfield Himalayan, the BMW 310 and the Versys X-300.

Reactions: F8S

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Some of the negatives:
First my biggest gripe. The seat is the worst factory seat of any bike that I've ever owned, its like sitting on a concrete block. [/URL]
Have you ever sat on a Suzuki DRZ400 to compare seats? I rated it the seat from hell when I had mine. Sounds like yours is the same. Usually a hard seat becomes a good seat for distance but not the one on the Suzuki. That thing just stayed brick hard.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Zebra!!!! Your comments were just what I was after.

All the reports about the bike have been positive, within limitations and obviously the little engine has to work harder than the larger ones but for what I'm considering, my rural 45 to 55 mph, photo shoots, the light weight and excellent fuel economy and that large tank sound ideal! I like the white color of the new 2020 model too.

The only seats I have ever enjoyed on the 87 bikes I have owned have been on my 3 Goldwings, my BMW K1200LTC and my HD Electra glide!!!!!!!!

My Wife says I have no 'Arse,' like most men my age so I don't have a lot of padding there. I sometimes wish I had a removable touring Arse like Kim Kard ass ian or the Chick in the YouTube video: 'Baby got back:)' Problem solved:)

The little bikes are selling for chump change in this area so when it gets a little warmer I'm gonna test ride one.

Love your bikes!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Have you ever sat on a Suzuki DRZ400 to compare seats? I rated it the seat from hell when I had mine. Sounds like yours is the same. Usually a hard seat becomes a good seat for distance but not the one on the Suzuki. That thing just stayed brick hard.
They must be sourced from the same outside Japanese manufacturer...lol.

Thanks Zebra!!!! Your comments were just what I was after.

All the reports about the bike have been positive, within limitations and obviously the little engine has to work harder than the larger ones but for what I'm considering, my rural 45 to 55 mph, photo shoots, the light weight and excellent fuel economy and that large tank sound ideal! I like the white color of the new 2020 model too.

The only seats I have ever enjoyed on the 87 bikes I have owned have been on my 3 Goldwings, my BMW K1200LTC and my HD Electra glide!!!!!!!!

My Wife says I have no 'Arse,' like most men my age so I don't have a lot of padding there. I sometimes wish I had a removable touring Arse like Kim Kard ass ian or the Chick in the YouTube video: 'Baby got back:)' Problem solved:)

The little bikes are selling for chump change in this area so when it gets a little warmer I'm gonna test ride one.

Love your bikes!

I agree, they are very inexpensive to buy. I've seen low mileage (under 1200 miles looking new) for really low affordable prices at dealerships. The way I see it, if its well taken care of, you'll always make close to your money back on it if you decide to sell it. For me, going from riding the big motor Harley or the Guzzi, to the little motor of the Versys X300, just takes some getting use to. Also, I have to get use to running at a lot higher RPM range with the X300.

But the Ninja motor is made for that, it really likes the upper rev range. It actually performs better at the higher end, and its not loud. But its a fun bike, because its so easy to move about, I sometimes just jump on when I don't have time for a ride, and take it out for a quick 10 or 15 minute spin just because its so quick and easy to do when you have that craving for a quick ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really miss my 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom that I sold about a year ago (?) to one of our forum members here and I've been reading about this cool Versys 300 for a great little back road and rural bike to explore the Ozarks!

I'd appreciate any info especially from owners.

Tank you:)

Sam
I have one. It's pretty fun to ride. And is hella maneuverable.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Still have it. Its been a fun little lightweight full size machine to ride. Its been solid and reliable with no problems to report, Just regular maintenance and fluid changes. They were originally selling for $5000 new, and I can honestly say that you wont be able to buy more bike for the money. I use it for local riding, running errands, fishing trips, mild trails and just general exploring type of rides around the state. Adding the Shad quick release side cases really allows me to do a little more with it. Its been a keeper for me. Definitely not a long distance touring machine, although some have logged some serious mileage on theirs, (see 2nd image below).
My good ole reliable Versys.

One guy on the Versys forum has logged over tens of thousands of miles on his X-300 crossing the country back & forth, Alaska and parts of Canada, (his pics below).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts