Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so before everyone starts saying "you need every piece of gear" or whatnot, I know that gear is VERY important.

But, I will be riding in the fall to college which is 2.5 miles from where I will be living. I will only ride when the weather is nice, so no snow or rain. That is the only riding on the bike I will be doing. I already have a really cheap $40 jacket that I bought and will use. I also have a Shoei GT-air helmet and a pair of mesh and leather gloves.

It gets hot (90+ sometimes) where I am going to school. So I am wondering if it is necessary for me to buy things such as specific motorcycle shoes, pants, etc just to ride that far or if I should get a better jacket.

Thanks

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I generally wear a helmet, jacket, jeans, leather gloves, and some type of boot. (Riding, work boot, or hiking boot depending on the destination) I have been known to ditch the jacket if it gets extremely hot (like above the mid-90's) and I have a longer ride to do.

I also wear a day-glow green and orange safety vest with retro-reflective tape over the jacket.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
If you don't want to wear leather pants, spring for a pair of Kevlar jeans. Regular jeans are no more protective than khakis in any at-speed crash.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fwiw i still have an elbow problem 10 years after an off,i was wearing a leather jacket but with no armour,had there been armour i wouldnt have an elbow problem.Personally i would have something better than jeans,someone suggested the Kevlar type jeans which is a good idea but once again i would make sure there some armour in the kness,perforated leather pants are great when riding in heat ie theres 1000s of little holes in them to allow airflow.You only have one body its worth spending a bit to keep it as safe as you can.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
When you fall, what part of you do you plan to hit first with, and what parts do you plan to keep injury free?

When you are headed towards the ground I guess you can say "I don't have a jacket, so I will not hit my body." Right? We get that choice as we are crashing, don't we?

Or perhaps you can just not wear the gear on the days you plan to not crash.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I have been known to ditch the jacket if it gets extremely hot (like above the mid-90's)
Why? I have found that a good mesh jacket does not add to my discomfort on even the hottest SoCal days. In fact, it makes me a little more comfortable by shading my skin from the bright sun.

Of course when I am standing still I am hot, but I try not to stand still too long.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have two different gear setups right now.

One involves textile jacket with armour plus the full set of Icon Stryker Armour. This is knee guards, elbow guards, vest/back protector, and armoured shorts.

I have kevlar lined jeans on order but right now I am just wearing jeans so the knee guards and armoured shorts really shore up the protection.

Then I have my boots, helmet, and gauntlet gloves.

Now, in this crazy heat we have been getting I got myself an armoured mesh jacket. It has CE level armour in the shoulders and elbows, and has sliders on the shoulders, elbows, and back. It does not have CE level back protection but there is a CE level 2 protector you can buy that fits into the jacket. So, when I wear the jacket I have been forgoing the extra elbow and vest/back protector.

For the OP I would recommend a good jacket with armour, full face helmet, gaunlet gloves, motorcycle boots, and at least knee guards under his/her jeans. When you get to where you are going you can remove the knee guards and put them into a locker, your knapsack etc. Kevlar lined jeans or textile pants are much better than regular jeans but the knee guards under jeans are much better than nothing at all. Plus, the knee guards are almost certainly an upgrade over what is usually in most motorcycle pants so they can be used in all of your pants going forward.

Next up for me is a quality armoured leather jacket later this year. Textile pants are next up for me and then finally some leather pants. That will give me three different gear combinations. Leather will be more the spring/fall option. Mesh is the hot weather option. My textile jacket works great in rain so it plus the eventual textile pants will be the "fair weather" set.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I think I want to get some kevlar jeans so that I can just wear them to school and not worry about wearing motorcycle pants throughout the day.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can usually tell by looking if someone has been down by what they are wearing. (I would assume most of the time this is true). Or else, the person is just very safety conscious if they are protected well. You see it all the time-kids with tshirts and shorts riding the sportbikes. Even at low speeds they will be screwed . I ride with a fully loaded Astars jacket. I wore it the last few days when it was in the 90's and it is perforated very well. yes, you get hot when you stop. But, I have been down a couple times (once on that jacket). Barely a scratch on the jacket on one lowside at about 30-40 mph. A textile/mesh jacket would have been destroyed. I think of them as graft jackets. Kevlar jeans are great too. I would much rather wear a leather suit, but around town would be kind of overkill. You can add all kinds of protection (knee, back, etc) It depends how far you wanna go. Or you can look like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...7ruUdG4L5fI4AOk7IC4Aw&ved=0CFEQ9QEwBg&dur=236

·
Registered
411 Posts
Three things I took away from being a firefighter/rescue tech;
If you aren't wearing any gear, you will probably not be getting back up on your own and you will need skin grafts.
If you are only wearing a helmet as the sole protective gear, you will be getting skin grafts and will likely be implanted with pins.
If you suit up and go down, your chances are very good that you will walk on your own back to the broken bike.

Of course the extent of type of injuries will depend on lots of variables, especially the speed at which you were travelling before you became detached from your ride.

·
U.S. Army Infantry
179 Posts
Three things I took away from being a firefighter/rescue tech;
If you aren't wearing any gear, you will probably not be getting back up on your own and you will need skin grafts.
If you are only wearing a helmet as the sole protective gear, you will be getting skin grafts and will likely be implanted with pins.
If you suit up and go down, your chances are very good that you will walk on your own back to the broken bike.

Of course the extent of type of injuries will depend on lots of variables, especially the speed at which you were travelling before you became detached from your ride.
If you arent breaking 30 mph, jeans are acceptable. I skidded in standard jeans and they hardly tore at 30. Any more however, and I doubt they'd be helpful.

With that said, when it's hot I WILL wear shorts with knee pads and shin guards, and I keep my leather/mesh jacket on since it airs quite well when moving.

I went down on a dirt bike with those knee/shin pads on, and I came out with nigh a few scratches. Granted, ass skidding would suck, a lot.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Cover up with protective clothing any part of your body that you don't want to lose the skin from if you happen to go sliding down the pavement.

·
Registered
306 Posts
BARE min:
Helmet
Gloves
Armor Jacket
Long pants
sturdy shoes (work boots, bike boots, etc).

Better: all of the above + riding pants. I have a set of Tourmaster overpants that fold/roll enough to fit in a sissy-bar bag that I use commuting to/from work. As long as I'm moving the heat's not really a problem, and if i'm stuck in one place it doesn't matter how much/little I'm wearing for heat to suck anyway

I will admit to riding with helmet/gloves only, but that only lasted until I could afford the rest of the gear.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Another variable is road surface.
Tarmac, blacktop, macadam, asphalt, concrete, it doesn't matter what we call it, but it can vary from rather smooth to very course, which will drastically affect the outcome of an abrasive experience.

Around here, they 'resurface' the road with "fresh oil and chips", as indicated by the caution signs they post.
Believe me, a spill at ten mph on that is going to have nasty results.
I had a bad fall off a bicycle on that stuff and it took the ER folks about three hours to clean out all the "chips" that were embedded in me, one of the most painful experiences of my life.

Dress for the fall, not the pool. None of us plan to go down, but some of us will.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After reading this thread, I have come to understand how massively under-protected I am.

I have full-face helmet, gloves, non-Kevlar jeans, and boots.

I have a nice to do list of things I have to get to be on-track.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Until we loose all our rights, how much protection you wear is up to your own risk acceptance. Well except for helmet in some states. So it's basically up to you and your budget.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Until we loose all our rights, how much protection you wear is up to your own risk acceptance. Well except for helmet in some states. So it's basically up to you and your budget.
Oh definitely!

And I rather politicians/laws dont meddle more with freedom.

Yet me being a n00b ridder, and having little experience, I want to be as best protected as I can.

This thread gave me some ideas.

Cheers!

·
Happy Rider
2,183 Posts
ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time. If I knew when an off would occur I would only wear the gear that day/time. Pretty much all gear is available in mesh. We all have budgets, I've found good deals on lightly used gear. Generally speaking I wouldn't recommend purchasing a used helmet.

Enjoy Ride Safe!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts