Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

First, I'd like to apologize for my poor english,
So, I'm here to look out for advices on which cruiser I should buy next if I want something relatively cheap, but faster (Acceleration + maximum speed) than my 1996 Yahama Virago XV1100, I got it for 1300$ CAD, with a low mileage. I did some research, and could not find any good alternative under 3500$ CAD. I'm on a low budget, so I have limited options.

Thank you for your time and your help!

·
Nightfly
4,601 Posts
Hello!

First, I'd like to apologize for my poor english,
So, I'm here to look out for advices on which cruiser I should buy next if I want something relatively cheap, but faster (Acceleration + maximum speed) than my 1996 Yahama Virago XV1100, I got it for 1300$ CAD, with a low mileage. I did some research, and could not find any good alternative under 3500$ CAD. I'm on a low budget, so I have limited options.

Thank you for your time and your help!
Never use the word "cheap," it refers to low quality, likely to break quickly. Use inexpensive, it refers to price, either by design or discount.

·
Registered
775 Posts
That 1100 Virago is no slouch. Specs say about 60hp, ~530lbs, 116 mph top speed, Under 14 second 1/4 mile time. A Virago of that approx. age, gives a nice combination of power and reliability for minimum dollar investment, in my opinion. They are styled like cruisers, but are pretty potent set-ups. Some guys say that the 1100 doesn't buy you much extra go-go over the 750. There was also a 920 for a few years. Is your particular Virago worn out, such that it doesn't perform along the lines of the original specs?

With the same horsepower, a bike with a chain or belt drive, will render up more usable power at the rear wheel.

Are you sure you want a "cruiser" and not a "sport bike"? Most cruiser choices will take the rider in the LESS raw power, less quick, more stable, less highly tuned engine, wider power band direction from the Virago you already have. Tell us more about where and how you want to ride, and maybe we can give you some suggestions.

A Yamaha V-Max kinda sounds to me like what you want. You'll have to shop pretty smart to find a good one for the kind of money you mentioned. Save some money to buy life insurance.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Research, ... it's what I do.

I got a contender for you TripleSam!

See if you can find yourself a Honda Magna VF750C. Even though it's a third fewer CCs than your XVS1100, with it's high(er) revving V4, gives about 25% more horsepower. The later model years use chain drive, which will steal substantially less horsepower than the earlier shaft drives. Should be able to pick one up inside your price range too.

The drawback is the extra fiddling a carb for each cylinder requires, and the reliability concerns that are naturally associated with a high compression, high revving engine. Speed and Power aren't free. It's a Honda, what could go wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Research, ... it's what I do.

I got a contender for you TripleSam!

See if you can find yourself a Honda Magna VF750C. Even though it's a third fewer CCs than your XVS1100, with it's high(er) revving V4, gives about 25% more horsepower. The later model years use chain drive, which will steal substantially less horsepower than the earlier shaft drives. Should be able to pick one up inside your price range too.

The drawback is the extra fiddling a carb for each cylinder requires, and the reliability concerns that are naturally associated with a high compression, high revving engine. Speed and Power aren't free. It's a Honda, what could go wrong?
Thank you for all these precious explanations! I do want a cruiser, not a sport bike, I'll look for the Honda Magna! So far, I'm supposed to go see a 1985 Suzuki GV 1200 Madura

·
Registered
03 Honda shadow spirit
36 Posts
try out the Kawasaki Vulcan 650 s. its a pretty quick cruiser, got the ninja 650 engine in it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Get a Triumph Rocket 3 Cruiser. You will never want for power, torque or speed again I recently had one. My past Yamaha V-max couldn't even compare.:)

Sam---only one Sam, not three:)

Welcome to a great forum!

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
381 Posts
You could always wait till you have more cash on hand....
:ROFLMAO: ok, I know, who can wait?!

When you look at a bike, check out it's torque curve. Higher mid-range torque will result in the feeling of a faster bike because there power is where you typically ride.
You can also gear your bike down so you get to those rpms quicker. Downside is obviously worse has mileage, speedo is off and it's buzzier on the highways. Sport bikes do exactly that for that purpose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts