Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take a trip to West Virginia this month, is there a route that you would suggest. I ride a Street Glide. I like curvy mountain roads. If I can avoid the Interstate that would be great. Also, if you can suggest a good central location to stay.
Thank you for your time.
Traveling Tall

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Last summer, we camped just outside a little town called Beaver; you can get there on a combo of US highways, depending on where you begin. WV has handouts for many of the motorcycle rides in that area, BTW, and we used them as guides. Just watch out for the coal trucks, and enjoy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I want to take a trip to West Virginia this month, is there a route that you would suggest. I ride a Street Glide. I like curvy mountain roads. If I can avoid the Interstate that would be great. Also, if you can suggest a good central location to stay.
Thank you for your time.
Traveling Tall
I grew up in West Virginia and I live just across the border now. I actually do most of my riding in West Virginia because there are so many twisties in the mountains that are wonderful. You didn't say which direction you were coming from so I really can't give any particulars when crossing the border. Just understand that on the secondary roads, the yellow "recommended speed" signs should be taken seriously. If a sign recommends 15 mph, you'd better slow down in a hurry or you will be part of the landscape.

There are really no bad roads for motorcycles there. Your biggest challenge is having to stop so much to take pictures -- yeah, it's that beautiful...especially with Indian Summer just a week or so away.

The size of the motorcycle doesn't matter. Your only limitations are your riding skills. If you contact the tourism department they can send you a hard copy book of fantastic places with road maps inside. Enjoy the ride and don't hesitate to stop and ask the locals where the best places are to ride, eat, take pictures or whatever -- they're all friendly.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Thank you for your time.
Traveling Tall
If you can, go back in Spring when the Azaleas are in bloom. It's beautiful. Almost any road is a great road in that state.:smile:

·
Registered
77 Posts
All of the above choices are good. Basically, any roads besides the interstates (I-64, I-79, I-77) are good. Some of my favorites in SW West Virginia are US92 north from White Sulphur Springs to US39 and then west on US39 - or US219 north (extra twisties) from Lewisburg to Snowshoe Ski Resort just off US219 or from US39/US92 north to Cass Scenic Railroad (fantastic railtour from over 100 years ago). These are also near the New River Gorge (on Bridge Day, there is bungee jumping and parachuting) which is beautiful from above or below.

There are state parks everywhere that you can camp in from Memorial Day to Labor Day. In late May you get Rhododendron and in mid-October you get the colorful leaves (be careful, they're slippery on the road).

The secret is to take your time and enjoy everything. Again, ask the locals for the best rides, roads, food, B&B or anything else. It will take years to see everything beautiful in West Virginia and in my opinion, the motorcycle is the best way to do it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Any road in west-by-god that doesn’t have an “I” in front of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
77 Posts
And remember, the Season's they are a Changin' and it's gettin' very cold:surprise:

Sam:grin:
That, too! Any increase in elevation will immediately result in drastic drops in temperature at this time of year. I think Snowshoe has already started making snow in the evenings to build a base. I've ski'd there during Thanksgiving and Easter. Definitely pack an extra set of layers and warm gloves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts