Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a larger size helmet for my big melon head. It's 64cm around which is a size XXXL for most brands I think. I priced some at my local Harley Dealer but their prices were extremely high. Is there any other source for helmets that I can check out. I found a few online but there is the obvious problem of not being able to try them on.

Do sporting goods stores sell DOT helmets? I am a new rider and I need one to take the MSF beginner riders course. The place where I am taking the course supplies the cycle but not the helmet. For right now I just want something to get me through the course. If I choose to continue in cycling I will then buy a quality DOT helmet. Any suggestions here gang?

·
The Cool Joker
1,455 Posts
i'd go look at all surrounding motorcycle shops in your area (even the ones that are a bit far away). ordering online is hit and miss, you should wear a helmet for at least 10 minutes in a shop before buying it. i didn't really do that, but i had it on my melon for a few before i picked it up. size xl, it's left me wondering if i could get by with a large isntead, but every brand is different.

i recommend HJC, personally. all i know is i love my helmet like i love my own mother :) and that's how you should feel about yours.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Try Before You buy-here's a site to check out for general info

You really need to try on before you buy. Different brands are sized differently, and even made for different shaped heads! Some brands in an XXl may be horribly uncomfortable to you, but the same size in an other brand will fit like a glove. Try motorcycle dealers...look for DOT certification. That said, Wal Mart carries some reasonable priced motorcycle helmets (with DOT!!) that could at least get you started.

You might think about what type bike you plan to get.. sporty? Then definitely a full-face. If you are looking more to a cruiser with a wind shield, a half or 3/4 might do the trick.

This is a good article with a lot of info. OK I'm a newbie here, it won't let me post a link (SIGH). But if you go to webbikeworld, and search for HELMET FAQ it has sizing and fitment guides, information on how different brands run size wise, and guide for how to shop for a properly fitting helmet. Good luck :)!

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
There's no reason not to get a full face helmet if you ride a cruiser (unless you are just terribly concerned with your image). Considering the chin area takes over a 3rd of all impacts when you go down, I wouldn't be caught dead with anything other than a full face -- even if I rode a scooter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no reason not to get a full face helmet if you ride a cruiser (unless you are just terribly concerned with your image). Considering the chin area takes over a 3rd of all impacts when you go down, I wouldn't be caught dead with anything other than a full face -- even if I rode a scooter.
I read the same safety info on helmets. The chin area gets most of the impact in accidents. I agree with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts