Motorcycle Forum banner

Where do you buy your auto/mc parts

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
I buy my stuff mostly on internet because there's a wider selection and it's generally cheaper, not having to pay sales tax. I buy some stuff from Dennis Kirk too. It's about 30 minutes from my house. They've got a small store on the side and they'll let you look at or try one anything they've got in stock, which is particularly nice where fit is involved.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'll buy OEM parts from the dealer for critical applications. They may be a little more expensive, but I don't usually have to wait for them to be shipped and they are very likely to have the right part on the first try.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why are eBay and auto part brick and mortar stores in the same category?

If I need it today I go to the store. If not, I go to online and get it for half the price and it is shipped to my door.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
I shop local whenever possible, and mostly with locally or regionally owned businesses instead of just franchises of national companies.

The poll choices are flawed.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I picked all of them except the 2nd one from the bottom. Car stuff mostly comes from Advanced Auto. Motorcycle stuff is pretty evenly split between local dealers, EBay, Motorcycle Superstore, Bike Bandit and Advanced Auto.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The choices don't seem well thought out to me. Have one choice for internet sites like Bike Bandit, Motorcycle Superstore etc., one for dealership, another for individual or independent aftermarket online sellers such as A.R. Harley in Great Britain, another for chain stores like Autozone or Napa and so on. I had to chose "it depends" because I have bought from all the above, most parts have been from a dealership for everyday parts like oil filters for my motorcycles but I have bought from aftermarket independents for customizing. The choices just need to be better defined for accuracy.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Bike bobbles and tires>>>Dennis Kirk
Bike repair parts I have to go with Dods
Auto parts >>> Auto Zone and OReilly I buy enough that often times I'll get my personal stuff dirt cheap or even free and they don't hassle me if I have a warranty.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
From Starting Line when I can, cause those guys do good work. IF not there, wherever I can locally find what I need.

If I cannot get what I need locally, I will look online, or call Morley Muscle to find what I need.

·
American Legion Rider
18,508 Posts
My independent Suzuki dealer will match ANYTHING that I might bring in. He doesn't care if it's Harley or Honda. You want it he'll get it at or lower than I can find it on the interwebs for.

Can't knock that with a stick. Usually it appears we are splitting the shipping cost from what I can see. So he isn't making a lot out of the deal by any stretch of the imagination. And look who's thread I'm posting to. Oh me! :D

·
1,895 Posts
Auto parts >>> Auto Zone and OReilly I buy enough that often times I'll get my personal stuff dirt cheap or even free and they don't hassle me if I have a warranty.
Can't do Autozone EVER! They always have good deals here but a few years ago they literally blew up my car in their parking lot. And when I say literally, I literally mean explosion, fire, fire trucks, ambulance, cops, etc...:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
18,508 Posts
Can't do Autozone EVER! They always have good deals here but a few years ago they literally blew up my car in their parking lot. And when I say literally, I literally mean explosion, fire, fire trucks, ambulance, cops, etc...:biggrin:
Got to ask. What did THEY do to blow up your car? That just begs for more detail.:p

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
The Motorcycle Battery I bought today, was from a local Parts Store that is primarily NAPA. I didn't buy from them because of their "NAPA" connection........just because I believe in supporting my local businesses whenever I can.

I have bought parts from that store many times over the years. I'm sure I pay MORE for what I buy there (Walmart would have likely been cheaper) but that would violate my "I hate big box stores" perspective.

-Soupy

·
1,895 Posts
Got to ask. What did THEY do to blow up your car? That just begs for more detail.:p
THEY let him work on it :p

Just kidding, but yeah we need to hear that story
I had a mid-80s low mileage Caprice that I had just bought that I loved. The check engine light came on briefly so I had it checked at Autozone. I think they said it was an inline fuel filter, I'm a little foggy on what exactly the part was as this was in 2005, though. Whatever the part was, I asked the guy if it was hard to install and he said he'd do it for me. Well, he didn't screw it or tighten it in all the way so gas was streaming out of the fuel lines onto the exhaust manifold. We got in the car, started it up and a minute later smoke was billowing out of the hood. My wife and daughter were scrambling to get out.

The car was a once in a lifetime deal. It was a police model that had never been used as a police car. I bought it from an older couple that had owned it since new and kept every single maintenance record and reciept. It only had 50,000 miles. Lastly, they ended up selling it to me for only $800 because they fell in love with my daughter and thought we were a great little family. After a lot of discussion and threats of lawsuits the store settled for $3000, but Ill never find that deal again

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Sounds like they didn't get th he nylon seal on the end of the filter housing. If those guys we're better wrenches they wouldn't be working there. Live and learn unfortunately.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I used to believe NAPA parts were ALWAYS superior, name brands, etc. compared to Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, etc.

Now much of their stuff is "White box," aka Chinese, cheap crap. Brake rotors and water pumps come to mind, and the STEEL used clearly isn't as good as American. (Just look at all the rusted Chinese-made "stainless steel" BBQ's down at Home Depot.) Apparently in Chinese metallurgy adding X% chrome and vanadium to "stainless" steel is just a "suggestion" and not a requirement

So I used to hold NAPA quality up there with factory, dealer, (OEM) parts. At least their alternators/starters still are OEM quality, in terms of the amount of copper wiring in them, in contrast to a 'Zone alternator that weighs half or less what your factory alternator did. (A good argument for rebuilding, imho)

So I always viewed the hierarchy as

OEM, DEALER Parts
NAPA
All the OTHER chain auto stores, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Zone, ...

Now Ebay and RockAuto come in and muddy the waters....

RockAuto usually has the same major BRANDS NAPA used to carry, Standard Motor Parts (SMP), 4-Seasons, Beck Arnley, Raybestos, Monroe, and my personal favorite, Airtex/Wells.

In fact they usually have 4-8 brands with DIFFERING warranties available for the same part.

BikeBandit, of course, sells a lot of OEM parts, Honda, Yamaha,...as well as aftermarket. (I see this as the future of ALL bike parts as most dealers don't stock SQUAT anymore)

Of course to the "average" consumer, they don't know any of this, and have no idea that buying starters/alts at NAPA is a good idea (solid units, solid warranty), that Fram/Bosch specials on oil filters @the Zone are just fine, that ANY mid-'80's Ford alternator, you should get from the dealer if you want 100% surety it will work, etc.

Consumers also have NO CLUE that most shops are marking up parts 100-400% and making a profit on that AS WELL as their $100+/hr shop rate, environmental disposal fees, etc.

So what are the CRITERIA one should use when selecting a vendor for a particular part?

0) Availability. How soon you need it? Do they even have it?
1) Cost. Obviously. Including shipping. Taxes. Return shipping, if necc
2) Chance of it failing. Which is different from
3) Warranty. A "lifetime warranty on a Zone starter is worthless b ecause the labor to swap it out dwarfs the value of a lower quality starter tha'ts more LIKELY to fail than a NAPA unit, or having yours rebuilt"
4) F,F,F Form, fit and function. There are some parts that ONLY the factory part fits and works properly. And doesn't void your warranty!
5) Returns policy. NAPA's is golden. Obviously, with Internet parts you're gonna have to flag down a UPS truck or visit a depot. Ebay you may be tangled up for weeks.

But you may be able to get an unused, OEM in the box Alternator for an XS1100 off ebay you couldn't score ANYWHERE else.

So what do I suggest? Spend 10 minutes, search Ebay, visit Bandit or RockAuto, perhaps hit NAPA or Zone website

SEE if you can determine the supplier part #, for example a Monroe 234456 strut assembly. You can then SEARCH on "Monroe 234456" and find other, possibly cheaper suppliers.

Use Google's SHOPPING feature to comparison shop. Check shipping costs.

Decide how soon you need it, how much you're willing to pay to have it sooner or a better warranty, returns policy, whatever, and THEN decide.

Don't fall in love with one parts supplier. Not anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts