Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, where do all the mufflers go?

I rarely see a cruiser-style motorcycle that hasn't had its factory exhaust replaced in favor of louder pipes, but every one of those had a muffler on it when it left the factory, correct? So there must be like-new mufflers in attics, garages, and sheds all OVER the place. That's a lot of metal just sitting around!

The HD factory down the street should have a buy-back option or something. Trade your (almost) new muffler back in on a t-shirt, a quart of oil, something...

:71baldboy:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
We used to take them to the scrap yard and sell them for re-cycling.

Other usable parts we often kept, but OEM mufflers we got rid of.

I know one guy that makes chairs and furniture out of them.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
I'm keeping the exhaust on Celestia stock. I kinda like not having to fight to hear the radio over the exhaust noise.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Sometimes hind sight is 20/20. The stock exhaust in my '76 CB750 was tossed out withing the first year of its life. Now that the bikes are collectors, just try to buy an original OEM exhaust system for less than 50% of the entire bike's value.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Heck, back in the day I bought several otherwise trashed bikes just to get their OEM exhausts cheap. Nowadays, people know what this stuff is worth (dang those reality cable shows) and part them out on ebay.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Our local Harley dealership does give credit (toward purchase of new) but they sell take-offs for ridiculous prices and scrap the rest. I was lucky to find factory-original mufflers for my FXD at a swap meet for $100. (The punched-out mufflers were too loud for my sidecar dog and too loud for my liking!)

·
8,027 Posts
If you decide to change an exhaust system, make sure you keep your old pipes, wax them and hang them up somewhere because there may be a day when ONLY OEM exhaust systems will be LEGAL on any street bike.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Visionary
4,073 Posts
I decided to keep my Vision stock too, it's nice to be able to hear my radio, my intercom, and my own thoughts. The V&H pipes on my Vstar sound GREAT but after a while that noise does start to wear me down.

I'm keeping the exhaust on Celestia stock. I kinda like not having to fight to hear the radio over the exhaust noise.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I've passed on a few bikes I liked for that very reason... the factory mufflers were replaced with loud pipes and I don't want to have to run down some OEM replacements.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I believe I have several OEM exhausts lying around somewhere. Not quite sure where, but every once in awhile I run across one.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Raising new mufflers...

Some shops graft them into trees to grow new mufflers. Mature ones get sent to the factory to go on new bikes.

Here's a dealership with a nice crop coming in... Grand Canyon HD.

Photos courtesy of Harford/Cecil HOG Members

·
American Legion Rider
22,446 Posts
Looks like a nice crop of Dynas.:D

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Seriously, where do all the mufflers go?

I rarely see a cruiser-style motorcycle that hasn't had its factory exhaust replaced in favor of louder pipes, but every one of those had a muffler on it when it left the factory, correct? So there must be like-new mufflers in attics, garages, and sheds all OVER the place. That's a lot of metal just sitting around!

The HD factory down the street should have a buy-back option or something. Trade your (almost) new muffler back in on a t-shirt, a quart of oil, something...

:71baldboy:
I don't know why they don't.

Personally, I have resolved that if I buy new pipes ( or really, anything aftermarket that's fairly universal ), I'll keep the old ones stored away. Then if I sell it off, I'll put the old back on, and keep the custom stuff with me, to put on the next one, so I can keep the custom look, for cheaper. Beats having to repurchase everything I already had. And it opens the door for that person to do the same, adding their own flavor.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you decide to change an exhaust system, make sure you keep your old pipes, wax them and hang them up somewhere because there may be a day when ONLY OEM exhaust systems will be LEGAL on any street bike.

Sam:coffeescreen:
In the US that is already true but is simply not enforced. The only way to have after market exhausts be legal is to prove they are quieter than stock, which nobody does because who would buy them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts