Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first bike, it is a 1991 Kawasaki ZX-6 in outstanding condition. because it is my first bike, I am probably going to lay it down at some point and I want to protect it the best I can. I can see there is a bolt just above the exhaust that should work to attach a slider. But anywhere else I am not sure how to protect the fairings because there is no way I will find replacement fairings for this bike. It is an old bike so I am having trouble finding info on where to buy compatible sliders and where I can install them on this bike. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
That is a beautiful bike! But I got to agree with DanGr, take the riding courses, find another bike that won't hurt so much when you lay it down. Laying that one down would hurt a lot! Good find though, and good luck!

Oh, and I'll add this, although that is a 1991 model, it is still a high performance bike and a guy could find himself in a lot of trouble real darn quick on it. You might decide you like riding and we would all prefer you have a long riding career. Be safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a beautiful bike! But I got to agree with DanGr, take the riding courses, find another bike that won't hurt so much when you lay it down. Laying that one down would hurt a lot! Good find though, and good luck!

Oh, and I'll add this, although that is a 1991 model, it is still a high performance bike and a guy could find himself in a lot of trouble real darn quick on it. You might decide you like riding and we would all prefer you have a long riding career. Be safe!
Hey thank you so much for the reply! I did end up doing a really in depth motorcycle course that cost $1000 CAD, it definitely taught me some good techniques for avoiding dangerous situations. But in the end I probably will lay my bike down, but hopefully by that time I have a second beater bike because there's no way I can sell this one. I like it too much haha.

·
Administrator
2,011 Posts
Hey thank you so much for the reply! I did end up doing a really in depth motorcycle course that cost $1000 CAD, it definitely taught me some good techniques for avoiding dangerous situations. But in the end I probably will lay my bike down, but hopefully by that time I have a second beater bike because there's no way I can sell this one. I like it too much haha.
Hopefully it will not be a laydown as much as a drop in the parking lot situation. It happens to the best and most experienced of us all.

·
Ace Tuner
4,534 Posts
There are some models that require cutting holes in the fairing to install frame sliders. I don't remember if your bike is one of those, but it may be.
I always thought it strange... :eek: I'm cutting holes in the fairing as a way protect the fairing??? :eek:

S F

·
Ace Tuner
4,534 Posts
I just bought my first bike, it is a 1991 Kawasaki ZX-6 in outstanding condition
I believe that is the ZX-6 that the shop manual claims you have to remove the upper cowl (fairing) in order to get to the oil filter.
You do not have to remove the cowl. It is possible to "snake" the filter out with only the bottom cowl removed. I'm thinking thru the right side of the bike/pipes.
Do you have a Kawasaki shop manual for the bike?

S F

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sliders can actually cause you to total out the bike if they catch a curb and the frame gets bent.

I agree with others that have said that bike cannot be crash proofed. If you want to have that in that condition for the long term, then put it aside and pick up something else. Get something cheap that doesn't have fairings. On Japanese bikes the manufacturers designed the engine covers to be the sliders, and they're cheap and plentiful and effortless to replace. Its the plastic stuff that is so expensive and in your case ultra rare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe that is the ZX-6 that the shop manual claims you have to remove the upper cowl (fairing) in order to get to the oil filter.
You do not have to remove the cowl. It is possible to "snake" the filter out with only the bottom cowl removed. I'm thinking thru the right side of the bike/pipes.
Do you have a Kawasaki shop manual for the bike?

S F
No I don't have a manual, I will have to look for where I can pick one up!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would take the fairings off and install a few crash bobbins until I feel comfortable riding it. But I really think you should get a cheap smaller bike (125cc-250cc) to practice and later hop on the ZX6 when you are ready. The one you have is too nice and it would hurt to get a few scrapes on it.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I don't know what state you're in, but here is Arkansas after a vehicle reaches a certain age, it qualifies for antique tags.

Don't know if that would interest you but if your state does that, you only buy the tag one time. There are supposed to be some restrictions but I don't know if anyone checks them. And this antique tag thing might not even apply to motorcycles, but if you're interested, you can check into it. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
521 Posts
No I don't have a manual, I will have to look for where I can pick one up!!

It's a downloadable .pdf. It's a Haynes manual, not the official Kawasaki one - says it covers 1985 to 1997.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been riding for 52 years. I sold motorcycles through the 80s and 90s. Concentrate on protecting Yourself!! 1st Get an Excellent Helmet and make sure it fits you properly. 2nd Leather Jacket and Always wear Good Riding Gloves. Hands hit first even stopped.
3rd Wear Boots not sneakers.
4th is tough, not all situations allow leather, kevlar. Never wear shorts, Jeans are much better than other long pants.
Take a Street bikes class. That 1 I saw posted for a grand must be on the track.
Do you have dirt bike experience? Some help but bad street habits.
Think, Front Brakes. New and Dirt riders lock that rear too often.
Reality is that there are 3 groups of street riders.
Those who have been down.
Those waiting to go down.
Those waiting to go down again.
I have 200,000 miles on the street. Hit the pavement only twice, both were at low speed. Once was with my ex-wife, the absolute bravest passenger. Once alone as I waived to the mailman. Dirt, I crashed plenty of times, same with snowmobiles.
Knowing how to fall helps.
Last thing, once your helmet on your head takes a hit. BUY A NEW HELMET, I don't care if it's only showing some scratching. Your head but it did it's job Once, don't roll the dice.
Learn, be cautious.
Beyond that know Your limits!
Watch good riders!
Be in front of dangerous people, far ahead so they don't run you over.
:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts