Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

My first road bike & I'm having a blast. My last dirt bike was 30 years ago when I was a kid...actually it was a road bike I rode around on when we were up camping...it was blue & a 100, that's about all I know.

Anyway, I don't have the users manual for this bike & I'm wondering when to shift...it seems happiest in the 3.5k to just under 4k rpm, but /shrug.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I shift mainly by feel, it won't hurt to go to redline and you will find out where the power band is. On my Street Triple it doesn't really come on until about 7500 RPM, but on the Sprint it's flat as can be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you; I have been going by feel since with ear plugs & my helmet the engine sounds about the same most of the time. I just didn't want to rev it to high.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Shifting somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of redline is fine depending on how much acceleration you need for the given circumstance.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
It depends on the bike's engines, your needs, and your preferences. The torquey inline-4 on my Bandit is happy pretty much anywhere. I can ride leisurely and shift at 2000-3000 RPM or run it up to 6000-7000 (Redline at 10,500 -- I don't go much higher than 7000 mainly due to vibrations and the fact that its really getting out of its powerband).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts