Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a Honda XL400VR and it has 50000km on it, and i am currently changing the clutch but i am quite curious because the engine was a low on oil when i bought it. When should one fully overhaul an engine? is it after a certain amount of miles or years? and how do you know if you should change the Big end bearings? because i dismantled the majority of the engine but kind of skeptical to take out the gearbox for the fact of being in doubt.... what should i do :confused:

when i took out the Clutch-cover, the inside was pretty clean for a 15 yr old bike just that bronze colored oil stain on the walls and it wasn't leaking before i took it out.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Depends on the level of abuse it has had. Most bikes may need a valve freshen up at maybe 30k miles, but I didn't have to bore mine until 75k miles. I am at 82k and still on the original bottom end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i would pay close attention to the top end. is sounds like you plan on keeping this bike for a long time and working on it. if you could get the manual it would have all the schedule dates in there. what have you done so far?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I had to rebuild the top end on my KLX650 at 15,000 miles due to the crappy cam chain tensioner (2nd one) that quit working. Once the adjustment was manual it has done 30,000 trouble free miles and no end in sight. It has always blown off oil through the breather, having to be upped on occasion, but it just keeps on chugging. Done it since I've owned it and also since it had the rebuild. Seems to be nature of the beast. A lot of big singles do that. My guess as to why your 400 was low.

You only need a rebuild when the compression drops, the engine burns oil (visible from the exhaust), it gets to be really difficult to start (beyond normal), or you notice a serious drop in power. If you know a good trusted mechanic you can have them take a ride every now and again just to have them give the quick seat-of-the-pants analysis of condition. I know my friend "just hates" having to take a buzz down the road on my 650. Seems to come back to work with a grin.

There is no real interval when it is needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with it was the fact that I couldn't quite test the engine for metallic sounds... there were too many obstacles. The carb had a torn diaphragm, the previous owner managed to fit a car exhaust (those small ones) it had a CDI which needed some minor repairs, coils were busted, was working on secondary sparks. But as regards to gearbox there was no clunking, no jamming. It wasn't burning oil, viscosity was correct.

So far I changed the clutches, clutch plate bearing, and springs. The tension in the chains seems quite in range outer seals weren't leaking but changed them anyway. there was one particular problem which I quite doubted. there is a shaft which holds the clutch assy and it changed colour slightly to bluish this was due the bush over it had its breathers clogged. But that's about it.

Also I can't seem to find a head gasket for it. the XL600 kit has everything but the heads that match. Are the NT, VT types or any other engines which are compatible?

Thanks again for your concern:thumbsup::biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend gave me a 1977 Honda XL100. It was last tagged in 1980. The engine was locked up. I took it apart and got it to rotate. The gas tank is rusted out and will need to be replaced. The carburetor is missing. The battery is dried up. The chain is missing. The VIN is not 17 digits and is not listed online.
Should the engine be rebuilt?
Will I be losing money to fix it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you like the bike buy another one and keep this one for parts. Honda's are very expensive on part so beware.... just recovered from the shock mine gave me :/

·
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas
872 Posts
for some bikes, 30,000 miles is the same as 100,000 miles on a car. on other bikes, 50,000 miles is the same as 100,000 on a car, it depends on the bike AND the amount of abuse it has had...
by abuse, that means hard riding AS WELL as poor or good maintenance.

in general, bike motors don't last as long as car motors, and the newer ones are tuned and honed to fractions of the width of a human hair with specific wear tolerances more like a formula one car than a lawnmower like they used to be...

so really, if it has been upkept from the beginning of it's life properly, then 50,000 miles is generally a good time to rebuild the bike, though as always it is cheaper to buy a new one unless you love the bike. without a doubt the suspension is shot unless you've changed it out. the valves are probably getting old, and undoubtedly you can pull extra horses out of it with a general rebuild too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well in my case, the engine was an everyday runner. When overhauling it, the problems that surfaced where the fact that its clutch plates got worn due to sitting still for quite some time. The major problem was the electrics which lead to many weird results. Compression tested it and was still in very good range.
Its max Rev is 6500rpm, so for now If I came to the conclusion that if it ain't broke don't fix it. No weird noises or lack of power so I guess she's all right ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts