Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When out for a ride, do you ever try to go without stopping for as long as possible, despite stop signs, red lights or stopped traffic, etc.? Sometimes I try to do that, not that I have any problem coming to a stop and putting my foot down before starting off again, but just to see how long I can go without taking my feet off the pegs. That does mean "California stops" at stop signs, slowing down well before a red light, trying to keep moving even if quite slowly until the light turns green and I can again accelerate away, and sometimes filtering to the front of a line of stopped vehicles, hoping that the stoppage is cleared as or before I get to the front of the pack. Sometimes I feel silly, and I do know that one of these days I might get ticketed for not coming to a full stop, but it is like the slow riding competition we used to do with the basic class students just to see how long I can go on my 900 pound plus Goldwing without actually putting my boot on the ground. Do you ever do the same?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Yep! If a light turns red ahead I begin to coast and go to a crawl a car length or two behind the car in front of me. Then I'll do a 1-2 mph balancing act and if lucky, the light will be green in time for me to go again. Can't do that so much in Chicago, but it works well out in the 'burbs and hilariously well in rural Wisconsin. :)

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
Yep! Guilty as charged! I haven't gotten a ticket for it yet but I too know that one day I'll get busted for doing a California stop :)

Even funnier is if my wife is riding too, we will battle it out going up to a red light, trying to be the last one to put their feet down, or better yet manage to not put feet down, all the while taunting each other over the Sena sets in our helmets. Candy is VERY good at riding slow, and her Chieftain is very well balanced, it's rare that I can beat her. The NO FEET game is hilarious even though one day one of us is probably going to drop a bike doing it, with my luck onto the other one then I have to fix them both.

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
I'll slow to a crawl for a light, if traffic allows; at stop signs, I'll make a full stop without moving my feet, for about a second. Some cops insist that, if you don't put a foot down, you didn't stop, even if it is clear your wheels are not moving, but I haven't met one, personally.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wear & Tear on Parts

Back in the 70's was when I began driving a Cage, I was taught to utilize the Gearing of the transmission to lower my speed upon coming to a stop sign or light.
My Auto Shop teacher was my Driver's instructor, Mr. Shell. He always pointed out to us that the less you used the brakes and allowed the Engine to do the work of scrubbing off speed, the less wear on the vehicle overall was optimal.
Eyes ahead and decelerate well before the brakes become necessary.
I apply these lessons in my Motorcycle Riding also.
The gears are there to be used not only to accelerate but to decrease your speed.
Being aware of upcoming danger and making the proper decisions to avoid them will keep you alive and well.
To keep the Bike in motion and attempting not to coming to a complete stop, you must utilize forethought and understanding of the path ahead, Escape Route, Closing Distance and Proper Gap to make decisions.
Safe Riding to you all!
Charlie (Post # 100)

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Same applies when riding or driving in mountains. It always bothers me when drivers use only the brakes to control speed on a downhill.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
Sure do and in fact have mentioned it before that some day I'm sure I'll get a ticket. But I do stop. Not very darn long though and that amount of time is getting shorter too as my balance degrades with age. But I'm pretty sure Texas law says at least one foot must be on the ground to be considered a full stop. So instead of keeping my feet on the floorboards, I hang them just barely off the ground. It's then my word against some cop whether they were on the ground while I balance. But I'm sure some day it will happen where a cop got up on the wrong side of the bed or a they need to impress the higher ups with their citation count for the month.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sure, I'll play the lights as long as traffic allows. Nothing illegal or unsafe about slowing and trying to catch the green without coming to a stop. And as I am slowing and approaching the intersection I am scanning the cross street for someone who may be trying to beat their light changing to red .

Running stop signs? Nope. I have had too many times in my 50 years of driving when, after the briefest of stops, I have pulled out and almost gotten slammed by someone ripping around a curve or topping a small rise at high speed. Dead stop, look at least left-right-left, proceed if clear. Don't need a ticket, damned sure don't need to get T-boned.

·
Very Famous Person
10,004 Posts
--

Sure, I do all that mentioned above. Blah, blah, blah. :sad:

But "filtering" or "lane splitting" anywhere it's not common to do--no way. Too many frustrated drivers out there that will try to keep you back.

--

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
" Nothing illegal or unsafe about slowing and trying to catch the green without coming to a stop." olddenslow quote.

Actually, it is illegal if you pass the 'striped intersection line' if you are moving at all.

A STOP is the absence of ALL motion.

Sam:grin:

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
You might like this. :smile:

California to Florida without stopping - No brake in the action | The San Diego Union-Tribune
I remember reading about this Rollin'. Thanks for bringing it up again. Was really too bad about the electrical issue. I fear that or a computer issue will stop many of the current over accessorized bikes at some point in the future. It seems to be the number 1 weak point.

Reactions: Rollin'

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I remember reading about this Rollin'. Thanks for bringing it up again. Was really too bad about the electrical issue. I fear that or a computer issue will stop many of the current over accessorized bikes at some point in the future. It seems to be the number 1 weak point.
Yes! All that effort and the trailer wiring stopped it. Good that he made it to Florida before he was stopped!

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
So close...
Yes! All that effort and the trailer wiring stopped it. Good that he made it to Florida before he was stopped!

Reactions: Rollin'

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
I'll slow to a crawl for a light, if traffic allows; at stop signs, I'll make a full stop without moving my feet, for about a second. Some cops insist that, if you don't put a foot down, you didn't stop, even if it is clear your wheels are not moving, but I haven't met one, personally.
I've personally met one.
He said: "It's not a stop if you don't put a foot down and I could show you where says so in the book".
Then he asked me to do him a favor and put a foot down next time. No ticket.
That's why the tip at the toe of my left boot is worn down.

Sure do and in fact have mentioned it before that some day I'm sure I'll get a ticket. But I do stop. Not very darn long though and that amount of time is getting shorter too as my balance degrades with age. But I'm pretty sure Texas law says at least one foot must be on the ground to be considered a full stop. So instead of keeping my feet on the floorboards, I hang them just barely off the ground. It's then my word against some cop whether they were on the ground while I balance. But I'm sure some day it will happen where a cop got up on the wrong side of the bed or a they need to impress the higher ups with their citation count for the month.
That's what the nice officer told me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I checked myself after reading this
I stop at stop streets, put left foot down, check all is clear and ride off
I hardly ever don't stop, think it was the way I learned and it keep me safe
A lot of idiots on the road that does not stop

·
Registered
537 Posts
My clutch cable broke about a mile from work one morning. There is limited traffic at 5am so I played your game for the last two miles. It was better than walking or pushing or clocking in late for work.

When that happens, slow is rarely slow enough.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts