Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
You may not, in reality, see price breaks that will be all that impressive, but the REASON for buying a motorcycle in Winter, is more than just the money.

First off, I would rather buy a bike in a State where I know the costs are lower (if for no other reason than the economy) because of the cost of living. I would hope the "mark up" was not as severe, or at least relative to the typical wage-level of the area.

Secondly, I would buy in a State in Winter, where "Winter" is a show stopper for riding (Alaska, for example). Why? Because they have a more limited season and know they have to work extra hard to entice buyers.

For these same reasons, I buy my snow shovels, my snow blowers, my firewood, my salt, etc........in May!!

It's also about availability of product. Try finding a snowblower the day before and the day after a BLIZZARD!!

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Sometimes a lot of money can be saved when there are previous year leftovers still on the floor. Manufacturers often give rebates to the dealers to help clear them out to make room for the current year models.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Dods brings up a valuable point about "Used" -vs- "New." Thanks Dods.

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Know this about FL anyway .. End of the Year before they get hit for the Following Year Taxes on Bikes sitting on the Floor.. Have made a couple of good deals myself using and steered others towards it as well ..

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
When logic and reason fly out the window and you just can't stand the thought of someone ELSE climbing aboard that fantastic machine and going vroom! Vroom!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you are looking for a new bike, now is a good time to talk to a dealer about a 2015. By the end of August all of the brands will be selling their 2016 models. If you can find a new 2014, you probably would get an even better deal.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
A close by dealer has a FACTORY BRAND NEW zero miles 2009 Yamaha Vstar Silverado on hand.

Kind of boggles my mind... a brand new, six model year old bike!

·
Registered
68 Posts
A close by dealer has a FACTORY BRAND NEW zero miles 2009 Yamaha Vstar Silverado on hand.

People probably pass on it cause they think it's overpriced, but the dealer has to make up for maintenance costs. What are they asking for it, if you know?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts

Actually more like 7 years old now .. Interesting that it has sat that long .. A Victory Dealer near me has a 2012 Hammer Brand New and thought that was old ..

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A dealer who has failed to sell a very old new bike must not understand what it costs him to hold onto it. Even if he is not paying a bank to carry his inventory costs, he is unable to use that money to buy something that would sell and make him money. There is a time to cut your losses and move on and any dealer with an in stock 2012 or worse yet a 2009 has failed to understand basic economics.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Best option is to just watch craigslist constantly. Bikes typically move quicker in the summer and during bike season. I found winter months are good for project bikes or those that dont run

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've always heard January and February is the best time to buy a new motorcycle. Dealers in most parts of the country are very slow and more willing to cut a deal, usually.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts